• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Images of Malaysian Restaurant Dining

Tepee

Nice dinner, TP! Did you have all these food to yourself? :biggrin::biggrin:

I was expecting a Malaysian-Chinese lobster feast... this is very nice too. Malaysian-European style? The escargot is my favorite.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I rang my dad straight after seeing this posted.

He is so difficult one lah! He said, 'Melbourne lobster the best..." then hung up.

Turns out he'd been there a couple times, it's near his hairdresser you see... can't please anyone it seems, but they do look good!

For the record, we don't have lobsters here in Australia, we have crayfish...

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

Haha. On the menu, there was a mention that the lobsters were Maine lobsters. In reality, they are New Brunswick lobsters. We have been supplyng the traditional markets for Maine lobsters, ie: NYC, Boston, etc. sporadically now for quite some time . Maine is adjacent to the south of us, and lobsters in southern Maine waters were hit with a disease these past 2-3 years, shutting off that supply. So, they buy and sell New Brunswick lobsters, which are the same thing...but healthy. That cold Canadian water sure makes for a delicious, and healthy, crustacean. I am so glad that those "Maine" lobsters are so well received. :raz::laugh:

OTOH, TP, what you have posted got my salivary and gastric juices into the free flow mode. Stunning!!! :wub:

Haha. On the menu, there was a mention that the lobsters were Maine lobsters. In reality, they are New Brunswick lobsters....

OTOH, TP, what you have posted got my salivary and gastric juices into the free flow mode. Stunning!!! :wub:

Au contraire, Ben Sook! The fact that you live at the source is making ME salivate! I quite remember Sue-On mentioning in a past thread that you gave her a few lobsters. Envy, envy.

Thanks, for the info on the true identity of ze lobster. :smile:

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Au contraire, Ben Sook! The fact that you live at the source is making ME salivate! I quite remember Sue-On mentioning in a past thread that you gave her a few lobsters. Envy, envy.

Thanks, for the info on the true identity of ze lobster. :smile:

Ben Sook sent our family a dozen lively ones from NEW BRUNSWICK :wub:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

• 2 months later...

The fact that I have only posted one restaurant thus far doesn't mean there's a dearth of restaurants in M'sia nor does it mean I don't dine in restaurants. Sigh, I should strap my camera to my wrist because I keep forgetting to bring it along. Besides, sometimes, there's the odd establishment which doesn't encourage pix-taking. :hmmm:

Recent eats:

At Toh Yuen , a chinese restaurant within a 5-star hotel. The dinner (relatively simple dishes chosen by a friend) cost around RM60 per head (equivalent of US$16).

Last night, as for most Saturdays, we drove around looking to try a new restaurant, and, indeed, we were lucky to find Taiping Lang. Taiping (meaning Eternal Peace) is a town 3 hrs' drive north of KL. Lang, pronounced Lahng, is Hokkien/Fuchien for Ren (mandarin), yan (cantonese), meaning people. The whole meal cost RM46, which is a tad higher than what we normally pay for homestyle food, but we were very happy with every item on the table. Yum!

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Michael....I agree with you. Having said that, the seating at Toh Yuen was very good...spacious. You can have spirited conversation without disturbing your neighbours. LOL, that evening, my table consisted of 6 girls who haven't seen one another for 20 years....chatter chatter chatter....

Shiewie...Taiping Lang is in Puchong Jaya, last shop diagonally opposite Leong Ya Yeong Tau Fu. Next to Leong Ya, there's a Taiwanese restaurant...you'll miss it if someone didn't point it out to you. We like it too...nice Taiwanese dishes and handmade noodles with vinegar in them, and they have the toffee apples dessert as well as toffee sweet potato dessert which is dunked in iced water. Only thing is the menu is in chinese and everyone there only speaks mandarin. BTW, Shiewie, you should be posting in this thread...you eat out much more than I do!

We noticed quite a few new restaurants in the vicinity. Will be visiting them one by one. :biggrin:

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Shiewie...Taiping Lang is in Puchong Jaya, last shop diagonally opposite Leong Ya Yeong Tau Fu. Next to Leong Ya, there's a Taiwanese restaurant...you'll miss it if someone didn't point it out to you. We like it too...nice Taiwanese dishes and handmade noodles with vinegar in them, and they have the toffee apples dessert as well as toffee sweet potato dessert which is dunked in iced water. Only thing is the menu is in chinese and everyone there only speaks mandarin. BTW, Shiewie, you should be posting in this thread...you eat out much more than I do!

We noticed quite a few new restaurants in the vicinity. Will be visiting them one by one. :biggrin:

Oh dear ... not very familiar with Puchong ... not sure if I've been to Puchong Jaya :hmmm: but I guess some googling and the road directory ought to get met there :biggrin:. Looking forward to your reports of the other restaurants in the vicinity.

Edited by Shiewie (log)

Just give me a buzz when you're thinking of visiting the area. Puchong Jaya is the area opposite IOI Mall. Really lots of good eats there. Another place a bit further down is Bandar Puteri Puchong, on the same side of Jalan Puchong....at least 2 good restaurants there.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

• 1 month later...

Fascinated by gsquared's blog, we went to possibly the one and only SA restaurant in Malaysia, Out of Africa, just to get a taste of Gerhard's life....and we were not disappointed. The menu was quite extensive, enticing us to return to sample the other more exotic offerings. We played safe tonight, ordering only 2 mains with sides of rice, baked potatoes and fries. As the food was really robust, we left filled and satiated.

Here's......Out of Africa......into Malaysia!

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Just got back from a 2 week stint in KL.

I'm impressed, I mean, there's so much foie gras floating around at the moment. I went to Nero Vivo and Frangipani in Changkat Bukit Bintang, and Cilantro at the Micasa, and while there's a lot to say, there was also a lot of foie gras.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"