• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

hzrt8w

Pictorial: Hairy Melon Stir-fried w/ Bean Topic

hzrt8w   

Hairy Melon Stir-fried with Mung Bean Threads (蝦米粉絲炒毛瓜)

This is a very simple recipe: stir-frying hairy melons with dried shrimp and mung bean threads, flavored with oyster sauce.

Picture of the finished dish:

gallery_19795_2079_8577.jpg

Serving Suggestion: 2 to 3

Preparations:

gallery_19795_2079_12343.jpg

Main ingredients: (from top left, clockwise) 2 hairy melons (about 1 1/2 lb), 2 bundles of mung bean threads, 3 to 4 cloves of garlic, a handful of dried shrimp, about 10 dry black mushrooms.

gallery_19795_2079_14053.jpg

Hairy melons: peel, trim both ends, cut into roughly 1 inch by 2 inch pieces.

gallery_19795_2079_28980.jpg

Soak the black mushrooms in warm water for about 1 to 2 hours. Trim off stems and cut into thin slices. Soak the mung bean threads in warm water for about 1 hour. Soak dry shrimp in warm water for about 15 minutes. Mince the garlic.

Cooking Instructions:

gallery_19795_2079_11855.jpg

Use a pan/wok, set stove at high, add about 2 tblsp of cooking oil, wait until oil starts fuming. Add minced garlic, soaked dry shrimp and sliced mushrooms. Add a pinch of salt (suggest: 1/4 tsp). Stir-fry for 30 seconds and let the fragrance release from the dry shrimp and dry mushrooms. Dash in 1 tsp of ShaoHsing cooking wine. Stir well.

gallery_19795_2079_5136.jpg

Add the hairy melon. Pour in about 3 tsp of oyster sauce, 1/4 cup of chicken broth and 1/4 cup of water. Stir well. Bring the mixture to a boil and continue to cook with the lid on. About 10 minutes. Stir occassionally. Add more water if the mixture becomes too dry.

gallery_19795_2079_9784.jpg

When the hairy melon is about done, create an opening in the middle of the pan. Add the soaked mung bean thread. Continue to cook for a few minutes until the bean threads turn soft and soak up the liquid in the melon mixture.

Note: You may want to use a pair of scissors to cut the mung bean thread after it softens up. This makes serving this dish easier.

gallery_19795_2079_8577.jpg

The finished dish. The quantity of food made in this recipe is about twice the portion shown in this picture.

This is an awesome dish that ma used to make. Her version is not as dark as yours and minus the shitake mushroom. The Taiwanese version are lighter and shredded the melon in a fries shape.

Thanks for the pictorial, Ah Leung. Looking at these dishes reminds me of meals that I ate while growing up, but have somehow disappeared from our family table thus forgotten, so seeing them again either makes me want to wish I've forgotten them :wink:, or would like to make again.

It took me a while to like this dish. We used to grow hairy melon in our backyard, so Dad made this dish A LOT during the summer and into the fall. He used to add small pieces of pork for a little protein.

hzrt8w   
[...] so seeing them again either makes me want to wish I've forgotten them  :wink:, or would like to make again.

I hope it makes you want to make it again. :smile:

Dejah   
is hairy melon bitter like winter melon is?

Not at all; think wintermelon.

My version is more like Azian's, with the melon in juliennes, and perhaps with BBQ pork along with the dried shrimp.

I use a light soya only because my kids like it that way. You have to make sure there is liquid in the "wok" before you add the mung bean thread; otherwise, they will turn into a big clump.

hzrt8w   

Hmmmm.... I don't even consider winter melon as bitter. When you eat bitter melon, that's bitter.

[...] so seeing them again either makes me want to wish I've forgotten them  :wink:, or would like to make again.

I hope it makes you want to make it again. :smile:

Makes me want to eat it again. :biggrin:

mrbigjas   

Hmmmm.... I don't even consider winter melon as bitter. When you eat bitter melon, that's bitter.

oops, little typo there--you're right, i meant bitter melon. thanks for the info.

hzrt8w   
By the way, what brand of bean thread do you recommend for this dish?

Those mung bean threads are quite generic.

The brand that I usually buy is called "Lung Hou" [Cantonese], or Dragon Mouth (龍口粉絲)

hzrt8w   
Makes me want to eat it again.  :biggrin:

Hmmmm.... I haven't seen this dish offered in restaurants. (Maybe it's too simplistic that nobody wants to pay for it...)

You just might need to make it yourself. :biggrin:

hzrt8w   
oops, little typo there--you're right, i meant bitter melon.  thanks for the info.

Oh, in that case, no... hairy melon is very mild and slightly sweet. No bitterness at all.

annachan   
Pour in about 3 tsp of oyster sauce, 1/4 cup of chicken broth and 1/4 cup of water.  Stir well. 

Another wonderful dish! :biggrin: We often make this at home but I've never used oyster sauce in it. I usually use a combination of soy and fish sauce. I'll give the oyster sauce a try next time.

chocomoo   

I looooooove this dish :wub: It's one of my favourite homestyle dishes, so much so that I make my mom make it for me on my birthday. I don't need any fancy dishes for my birthday - I can eat bowls of this stuff! This and "jai", the stir-fried vegetarian dish. My mom makes it with straw mushrooms, shitake mushrooms, bamboo shoots, bean thread, "faat choi", snow peas, baby corn, cloud ear fungus, & dried oysters. I really need to learn how to make it. Yeah, I know it's easy, but I can't cook.

Edited by chocomoo (log)

hzrt8w   
... Yeah, I know it's easy, but I can't cook.

Nobody is born knowing how to cook. :biggrin: Can start with a simple dish like this one. Then you can make it for your mom on her birthday to surprise her!

stephenc   

I make this with julienned melon slices and very little oyster sauce, if any. You can also do something similar with zucchini, which isn't indigenous to Asia, but is found all over N. America.

It's a very light dish.

Edited by stephenc (log)

mrbigjas   

i made this dish tonight. stephenc, actually the hairy melon reminded me a lot of zucchini. i might have overcooked it a little--it got a little mushy. but it was delicious.

huiray   

Do you know the dish called "Dai Yee Ma Kar Lui"/"Tai Yee Ma Kar Lui" [大姨媽嫁女] (First [maternal] aunt marries off daughter)? :-)

Handed down from parent to offspring over the generations in SE Asia and elsewhere.

• Similar Content

• By Chris Hennes
      I just got a copy of Grace Young's "Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge"—I enjoyed cooking from "Breath of a Wok" and wanted to continue on that path. Does anyone else have this book? Have you cooked anything from it?

Here was dinner tonight:

Spicy Dry-Fried Beef (p. 70)

I undercooked the beef just a bit due to a waning propane supply (I use an outdoor propane-powered wok burner), but there's nothing to complain about here. It's a relatively mild dish that lets the flavors of the ingredients (and the wok) speak. Overall I liked it, at will probably make it again (hopefully with a full tank of gas).

• By liuzhou
      We are all used to unami now. Maybe it's time to consider gan. Particularly found in teas, but also in other foods. An interesting article from a great magazine.

Going, going gan
    • By liuzhou
      I’m an idiot. It’s official.

A couple of weeks back, on another thread, the subject of celtuce and its leafing tops came up (somewhat off-topic). Someone said that the tops are difficult to find in Asian markets and I replied that I also find the tops difficult to find here in China. Nonsense. They are very easy to find. They just go under a completely different name from the stems – something which had slipped my very slippery mind.

So, here on-topic is some celtuce space.

First, for those who don’t know what celtuce is, let me say it is a variety of lettuce which looks nothing like a lettuce. It is very popular in southern mainland China and Taiwan. It is also known in English as stem lettuce, celery lettuce, asparagus lettuce, or Chinese lettuce. In Chinese it is 莴笋 wō sǔn or 莴苣 wō jù, although the latter can simply mean lettuce of any variety.

Lactuca sativa var. asparagina is 'celtuce' for the technically minded.

Those in the picture are about 40 cm (15.7 inches) long and have a maximum diameter of 5 cm (2 inches). The stems are usually peeled, sliced and used in various stir fries, although they can also be braised, roasted etc. The taste is somewhere between lettuce and celery, hence the name. The texture is more like the latter.

The leafing tops are, as I said, sold separately and under a completely different name. They are 油麦菜 yóu mài cài.

These taste similar to Romaine lettuce and can be eaten raw in salads. In Chinese cuisine,  they are usually briefly stir fried with garlic until they wilt and served as a green vegetable – sometimes with oyster sauce.

If you can find either the stems or leaves in your Asian market, I strongly recommend giving them a try.
    • By Duvel
      “… and so it begins!”

Welcome to “Tales from the Fragrant Harbour”!
      In the next couple of days I am hoping to take you to a little excursion to Hong Kong to explore the local food and food culture as well as maybe a little bit more about my personal culinary background. I hope I can give you a good impression of what life is like on this side of the globe and am looking very forward to answering questions, engaging in spirited discussions and just can share a bit of my everyday life with you. Before starting with the regular revealing shots of my fridge’s content and some more information on myself, I’d like to start this blog and a slightly different place.
      For today's night, I ‘d like to report back from Chiba city, close to Tokyo, Japan. It’s my last day of a three day business trip and it’s a special day here in Japan: “Doyou no ushi no hi”. The “midsummer day of the ox”, which is actually one of the earlier (successful) attempts of a clever marketing stunt.  As sales of the traditional winter dish “Unagi” (grilled eel with sweet soy sauce) plummeted in summer, a clever merchant took advantage of the folk tale that food items starting with the letter “U” (like ume = sour plum and uri = gourd) dispel the summer heat, so he introduced “Unagi” as a new dish best enjoyed on this day. It was successful, and even in the supermarkets the sell Unagi-Don and related foods. Of course, I could not resist to take advantage and requested tonight dinner featuring eel. Thnaks to our kind production plant colleagues, I had what I was craving …
      (of course the rest of the food was not half as bad)

Todays suggestion: Unagi (grilled eel) and the fitting Sake !

For starters: Seeweed (upper left), raw baby mackerel with ginger (upper right) and sea snails. I did not care for the algae, but the little fishes were very tasty.

Sahimi: Sea bream, Tuna and clam ...

Tempura: Shrimp, Okra, Cod and Mioga (young pickled ginger sprouts).

Shioyaki Ayu: salt-grilled river fish. I like this one a lot. I particularly enjoy the fixed shape mimicking the swimming motion. The best was the tail fin

Wagyu: "nuff said ...

Gourd. With a kind of jellied Oden stock. Nice !

Unagi with Sansho (mountain pepper)

So, so good. Rich and fat and sweet and smoky. I could eat a looooot of that ...

Chawan Mushi:steamed egg custard. A bit overcooked. My Japanese hosts very surprised when I told them that I find it to be cooked at to high temperatures (causing the custard to loose it's silkiness), but they agreed.

Part of the experience was of course the Sake. I enjoyed it a lot but whether this is the one to augment the taste of the Unagi I could not tell ...

More Unagi (hey it's only twice per year) ...

Miso soup with clams ...

Tiramisu.

Outside view of the restaurant. Very casual!
      On the way home I enjoyed a local IPA. Craft beer is a big thing in Japan at the moment (as probably anywhere else in the world), so at 29 oC in front of the train station I had this. Very fruity …

When I came back to the hotel, the turn down service had made my bed and placed a little Origami crane on my pillow. You just have to love this attention to detail.

• By Soul_Venom
      The best Chinese food restaurant I have ever been to is a place called the Imperial Buffet in Aberdeen SD. Their General Tso's is unlike the Tso's anywhere else. The closes comparison I could make is the Orange Chicken at the Panda Garden only 3x better. Their Lo-Mein Noodles are done with the skill of a master Italian pasta chef & perfectly seasoned. They also used to do a mean fried squid. I say used to because they had it when I lived in Aberdeen from 02-04 but didn't when I visited in 15'. One of their other discontinued specialties was a dish advertised as 'Golden Fried Cauliflower'. Note, this was NOT a breaded product. The cauliflower was cooked as though it had been boiled perfectly. It was not greasy as I recall but was a golden orange color as was the sauce it was evidently cooked in. I never could identify the flavors in that sauce. I wish I could describe it better but it has been well over a decade since I had it. Is anyone familiar with it or something similar? I can't seem to find anything like it online & all my searches just bring up links to breaded deep-fried crap.