• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Michelin Inspection

The Cynical Chef

Greenville, SC is the North American Headquarters for Michelin. In addition to manufacturing tires, all of Michelin’s travel publications are edited and published here. The editors of the Travel Guides have been patrons of 33 Liberty for some time now.

Inspector in the House

In mid July I got a phone call from a good friend of mine at the Michelin Travel Guide. Some of the Michelin Inspectors will be in town to go over the manuscript to the Red Guide to New York City and they need somewhere to have dinner. Could we accommodate a party of 12 next Wednesday? “Of course” I said “and just how many Inspectors are coming?”

“All of them” I was told.

Gulp.

The upcoming Red Guide to New York City has been perhaps one of the most talked about culinary events of recent memory. If one would believe the trade journals, these inspectors have terrorized New York for a year. The heralded chefs of New York have been lying awake at night sweating the possibility of a Michelin Star. Sous chefs have been fired, waiters berated, pots thrown and sommeliers humiliated in the quest for that star. Now they were on their way here. I hung up the phone and contemplated their visit. I had visions of the Alien Spaceship from “War of the Worlds” laying waste to civilization, panicked citizens screaming helplessly, elevated highways crumbling, entire city blocks engulfed in flame. When they were finished dining at our tiny restaurant, there would be nothing left except a smoking hole in the ground. I closed my eyes and thought about everything that could go wrong during the 7 days prior to this visit. I called my wife Amy to give her the grim news. “That’s so great!” she said. “They will love our place”.

That night I sat down with my guys and a bottle of wine and discussed next week’s menu. I threw this question out to my Sous, Tony Keely and cook Juan Muniz. “What would be the last thing that this group would expect on our menu? Something totally French that we serve and do well?”

Tony said “Pate” and I said “Bouillabaisse”. Now you may think that this borders on pandering. Should we style our menu just to suit our visitors? One of the great luxuries of owning a tiny, 32-seat restaurant is that we can change the menu at our discretion. Our menus have emphasized what we consider global comfort food with a touch of Southern Hospitality so pate and bouillabaisse are a fine fit. After the proper amount of wine we settled on a few dishes we knew would be appropriate for mid July: Gazpacho topped with a spicy peach sorbet, mini grilled cheddar cheese with a small bowl of warm tomato soup, smoked pork shoulder with cane vinegar, Cole slaw and a buttermilk biscuit, Alaskan salmon over market succotash with lemon & chive butter, hanger steak with roasted summer vegetables & thyme oil, blueberry cobbler with our own ice cream and a roasted peach & brioche tart.

That Monday my friend at Michelin gave me a few very specific instructions concerning their upcoming meal. There were not to be any cameras in the restaurant at all. If someone were to accidentally take a photo of this group, even with a cell phone camera, the entire group would get up and leave. I was not to mention anything about the Red Guide in any way, shape or form and I was asked not to mention this to anyone in town, especially any other chefs in Greenville. “Geez” I said. “I can keep a secret, for Pete’s sake!” As soon as I got off the phone I called Ben Berryhill at the Red Drum in Mount Pleasant, about 225 miles from here.

“BEN! GUESS WHO IS EATING AT MY PLACE IN 2 DAYS?”

“Uh, the Pope?”

“No, no…the entire team of the New York City Michelin Inspectors!”

“Holy Mother of God Malik! What are you going to serve them?”

After going over the menu with Ben and getting his seal of approval it was off to the State Farmer’s market for some grocery shopping. Amy & I fussed over tomatoes, peaches, sweet onions, blackberries, cucumbers, tiny yellow and green squash, baby carrots, fennel, blackberries, leeks, peppers, butter beans, and corn. Shopping at the market in the summer is so pleasurable and so rewarding that I often go 4 or 5 days a week. The sweet aroma of all that great summertime produce can truly be glorious.

The next 2 days were spent making lobster broth and rouille for the Bouillabaisse, gazpacho, peach sorbet, blanching & peeling butterbeans, veal stock, corn stock and thyme oil. Tony got the pates made with plenty of hand-ground pork, pork fat, veal brisket and some braised rabbit. We added salt & pepper, pistachios, shallots that were roasted in duck fat, ground mustard seed and some reduced red wine then lined our terrines with bay leaf and thyme, then bacon then filled them with the pork mixture. As the pate baked slowly in a water bath Amy made pastry cream and caramel frosting, cleaned blueberries for cobbler and roasted peaches for the tarts. Brioche dough was made the day prior then rolled into individual 3-inch tart shells, proofed, baked then topped with pastry cream and half of a slow roasted peach. By Wednesday afternoon we were standing tall. I closed my eyes and thought of everything that had gone right.

When the group arrived they were all very cordial and relaxed, although I was far from relaxed. They appear to immediately like our tiny restaurant with its mustard colored walls, slow moving ceiling fans and smiling staff. Wine was poured, an Argyle Pinot Noir from Oregon and a French white Bordeaux, Chateau La Grande Clotte. Baskets of Pomme fritte with truffle oil, Parmesan & thyme are passed around and one of them mentions how enjoyable the pinot noir’s of Oregon are. As our waiter Tom begins taking their order, Tony & I are trying to predict how many would order the pate and bouillabaisse. Of the 12 dining, 5 go for pate and bouillabaisse. These folks are definitely homesick. The pate, gazpacho and mini-grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup go out and I find myself glancing over to their table every chance I get. Glasses are being raised, forks are clinking on plates, smiles and cheers all around. They love the food. More appetizers go out, 3 of which are the molasses brined and pecan smoked pork shoulder with the slaw and biscuit. The pork plates are getting passed around and shared and heads are nodding. The main courses are next and as I am ladling up the bouillabaisse, redolent with crayfish, mussels, shrimp, catfish, grouper and leeks I just know that they will love it. I grew up cooking gumbo in south Louisiana and I understand the importance of a dish such as Bouillabaisse. This is soul food, pure and simple. The bouillabaisse is served with plenty of our own bread and the smiles all around are genuine.

Everyone orders dessert. One gentleman asks for another smoked pork & Cole slaw in lieu of something sweet. “I cannot get pork like this in France” I hear him say. He changes his mind after Tom describes Amy’s brioche & roasted peach tart. As the desserts are being enjoyed I walk over and say hello. One gentleman immediately asks me if I made the brioche tart. “That was my wife,” I say “and she has already left for the day.” “You will give her a big kiss for me when you get home, yes?” “Of course” I say.

At the end of the night several of the inspectors come up to me and shake my hand, tell me thank you. They wave to Tony & Juan and smile. Another mentions that our Pomme fritte are better than many he has had in Paris. Yet another comes up and tells me that the local Michelin folks had spoken very highly of our restaurant and that everyone agreed that their dinner was delicious.

I call Amy and tell her how well the evening went and she chides me for all of my worrying. Alien spaceships indeed! The next day my Michelin friend calls to say how delighted they were with dinner. If we were being reviewed the consensus was that 33 Liberty would rate a Bib Gourmand, a category of unassuming, moderately priced restaurants with very good food. As I hang up the phone I wonder what it would have been worth to some of the New York restaurants to get a 7-day’s notice of an impending Michelin inspection. Priceless, I suppose.

John Malik

Chef/Owner

33 Liberty Restaurant

Greenville, SC

www.33liberty.com

Customer at the carving station: "Pardon me but is that roast beef rare?"

Apprentice Cook Malik: "No sir! There's plenty more in the kitchen!"

I don't get to France much; I can't afford too much starred dining. But some of the most delightful meals I have ever eaten have been at Bib Gourmand restaurants -- known, in my family, as "happy face" restaurants, for the head shot of a smiling Michelin Man next to their listing in the Guide. Personally, I think it's the most helpful category of all to most travelers -- anybody can deliver a great meal for a small fortune, too few can do it for a reasonable price. I swear by them.

Congratulations, you are running with a great crowd of talented chefs (not that we had any doubt). If I ever get back to South Carolina...

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

you are running with a great crowd of talented chefs (not that we had any doubt).  If I ever get back to South Carolina...

John and Amy are most decidedly the top talented chefs of Greenville, SC, and you definitely owe yourself a visit to 33 Liberty to taste the beauty of their cuisine ... I can see those Michelin folks in your restaurant, John, and your descriptions of this event are, as always, beautifully written! A cook and a writer ... talent in every cell of your body ... bravo on knocking their socks off!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I love this story. I don't think the advance notice has all that much to do with what the folks who came to dinner thought of the overall experience. You can either do it right or not service or sourcing those who do nothing than eat for a living cannot be fooled.

I hope if we, the wife and I can drop by for a visit

Edited by handmc (log)

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I think you should submit that verbatim to the NY Times and see if they would publish it.  A well told story!!!

Thank you Cucina! However, I am holding out for the cover story of Time Magazine.

John Malik

Chef/Owner

33 Liberty Restaurant

Greenville, SC

www.33liberty.com

Charming.  I really enjoyed your story.  The only things is, I'm dying to know how many inspectors there were, and of course you can't say!

John Malik

Chef/Owner

33 Liberty Restaurant

Greenville, SC

www.33liberty.com

What were the accents? Were they all French? All American? A mixture?

They were all females except for the ones that were male and the ones that were not French were from a country other than France.

Sorry but I do a bunch of business with Michelin so you won't get much out of me! :cool:

John Malik

Chef/Owner

33 Liberty Restaurant

Greenville, SC

www.33liberty.com