• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual Sweet Potato Recipes

annachan

Can I roast my sweet potatoes the day before and just reheat them for dinner?  I'm short on oven space/time. :unsure:  I wouldn't put the honey and orange juice glaze on until I was heating them to serve.

Though I'd move this just to get your attention :wink: Can I partially roast the potatoes today and finish tomorrow to save time?

KathyM

yeah butter is expensive too.... (about $3 for 3/4 of a pound...)

but since I will save money on the cream... :biggrin:

The sushi is cheaper over here though! :laugh:

Are you going to use Japanese sweet potatoes? Or do you have a mysterious source for North American-style sweet potatoes? I've not yet found a source for them, but am wary of using Japanese sweet potatoes.

Can I roast my sweet potatoes the day before and just reheat them for dinner?  I'm short on oven space/time. :unsure:  I wouldn't put the honey and orange juice glaze on until I was heating them to serve.

Though I'd move this just to get your attention :wink: Can I partially roast the potatoes today and finish tomorrow to save time?

Don't roast them, in that case; blanch them. Heavily salted water at rolling boil, cube potatoes, throw 'em in, cook for 10-15 minutes (or until just tender), remove, shock in ice water, and refrigerate. That way, roasting time on the day will be minimal.
Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

Don't roast them, in that case; blanch them. Heavily salted water at rolling boil, cube potatoes, throw 'em in, cook for 10-15 minutes (or until just tender), remove, shock in ice water, and refrigerate. That way, roasting time on the day will be minimal.

Thanks! That will work nicely. :smile:

KathyM

Sweet potato salad

Sweet potato biscuits

Sweet potato rissotto

sweet potato fries

sweet potato beignets

roasted medley of sweet potatos, onions, butternut squash and jiama.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

yeah butter is expensive too.... (about $3 for 3/4 of a pound...)

but since I will save money on the cream... :biggrin:

The sushi is cheaper over here though! :laugh:

Are you going to use Japanese sweet potatoes? Or do you have a mysterious source for North American-style sweet potatoes? I've not yet found a source for them, but am wary of using Japanese sweet potatoes.

We had our Thanksgiving party last night and this dish was great!

I used the Japanese (very pale fleshed) sweet potatoes and it worked out fine except the ones on top turned quite brown, even though I soaked them for 30 minutes before cooking. Everyone really loved the dish, I think it would be better with American style sweet potatoes though.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 2 years later...

Apart from the typical Thanksgiving fare, about the only time I use sweet potatoes is as a component to a pan of roasted root vegetables. Anyone have any novel uses for this tuber?

I've got one I tried over Xmas vacation, I thought I would share to get the thread started.

Sweet Potato Brûlée:

Serves 4-6 (great with grilled lamb/game/beef; or -- you guessed it -- as a side to roast turkey)

Ingredients:

2 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed, skins left on

1-2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder (or to taste)

1/4 heavy cream

S&P to taste.

Equipment:

4-6 ramkeins

Heat-proof mixing bowl

Ricer

Whisk

Spatula

Pierce sweet potatoes all over with the tip of a knife. Microwave on high power 8-10 minutes, flipping over once, half-way through the cooking cycle. Allow to cool enough to handle, but do not let potatoes get cold.

Peel skins off potatoes and pass through a ricer into a heat-proof mixing bowl. Heat the cream and add to potatoes. Mix well. Add five-spice powder, 1 tsp at a time and adjust to taste -- a little goes a long way. Add S&P to taste. Cover bowl with saran and set over a bowl of simmering water until ready for plating.

To serve, scoop potato mixture into ramekins all the way to the top and smooth tops with back of spatula. Sprinkle sugar on top (I used brown sugar, but I think granulated may work better) as if you're preparing a creme brûlée and blast sugar with a torch until caramelized. Serve immediately.

Edited by Vicious Wadd (log)

I had a lovely puree of sweet potato in New Mexico over the weekend. It was very smooth, contained crystallized ginger and perhaps a bit of heavy cream.

This is kinda similar to some of the roasted glazed recipes above, but I dearly love roasted sweet potato wedges finished with a honey chipotle glaze.

I cut even sized dark fleshed sweet potatoes into wedges (eights for a good sized potato), toss them in oil, season with salt and pepper, then roast till they're brown and yummy. A few minutes before they come out, I baste them with the glaze, drizzling on a little more when they come out.

On the stove, while they're roasting, I reduce an orange, honey, shallot, and chipotle glaze. I make it with the juice of an orange, and about a tsp of the rind, 1 finely chopped pepper and a tsp. of the sauce they're packed in for a half cup of honey, plus a sauteed diced shallot.

There is something amazing, incredible, and miraculous about the flavor of sweet potatoes and chipotle.

My second favorite recipe is a sort of a hash or breakfast skillet made with partially cooked sweet potatoes in 1/2" cubes, red peppers, diced beets, and smoked turkey sausage, or just smoked turkey, or chorizo, or whatever sausage you have laying around, garlic, cayenne, salt, pepper, etc. All sauteed together. This was a recipe born of necessity the last day we were camping, and all we had left was half a lb of turkey lunch meat, and a few veggies. It was. DELICIOUS. Made it another weekend with an apple-turkey sausage, and it was even better!

My second favorite recipe is a sort of a hash or breakfast skillet made with partially cooked sweet potatoes in 1/2" cubes, red peppers, diced beets, and smoked turkey sausage, or just smoked turkey, or chorizo, or whatever sausage you have laying around, garlic, cayenne, salt, pepper, etc. All sauteed together.  This was a recipe born of necessity the last day we were camping, and all we had left was half a lb of turkey lunch meat, and a few veggies.  It was. DELICIOUS.  Made it another weekend with an apple-turkey sausage, and it was even better!

I've made something similar with smoked chicken that is topped with poached eggs with a chipotle hollandaise. I've got a pic I would love to post, but I don't know how. :unsure:

I put lots of cubed sweet potatoes in my chicken curry when I have them (it is a Caribbean style (Madras) curry made kind of dry and the sweets are just put in when the chicken is) very good!!!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet