• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual Sweet Potato Recipes

annachan

I plan on making sweet potato for Thanksgiving but would like something different from the baked or mashed version. I ran across a sweet potato spoon bread recipe that sounds interesting. I'm thinking something along that line, maybe a souffle.

Any suggestions/recipes that you have had success with? Also, if possible, would love to be able to prep ahead. Thanks! :raz:

not a souffle or spoon bread, but my family's favorite sp recipe

is from "the world in your kitchen" by troth wells (oldish UK vegetarian cookbook)

and is sp wedges glazed in butter with grated ginger, cinnamon, cayenne,

s&p, and honey, with raisins added somewhere midstream.....

milagai

I plan on making sweet potato for Thanksgiving but would like something different from the baked or mashed version. I ran across a sweet potato spoon bread recipe that sounds interesting. I'm thinking something along that line, maybe a souffle.

Any suggestions/recipes that you have had success with? Also, if possible, would love to be able to prep ahead. Thanks! :raz:

Try mashing it and stuff it in a puff pastry dough with chopped cranberry relish. Then bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes. You can serve it as a dessert if you sweeten the mash with vanilla extract and sugar. And dust it with powder sugar.

Leave the gun, take the canoli

Sweet potato pancakes. The glazed wedges sound good, milagai. How 'bout curried? My sister used to make these great bourbon sweet potatoes. I'm sure there's a recipe for custard/flan. Sweet potato pie/cheesecake...

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I have made  - this Sweet Potato Chipotle Gratin for the last two thanksgivings. It is killer.

http://www.selectappliance.com/exec/ce-rec...t_potato_gratin

Not sure if that link will work. I suck at linking.

It is very good...just don't do what I did the first time I made it. That is ONE Chipotle pepper, not ONE CAN Chipotle peppers.

My family is still laughing at me over that one.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I have made  - this Sweet Potato Chipotle Gratin for the last two thanksgivings. It is killer.

Forgot about that one. I had a sweet potato gratin as a side to my dinner the other night. Yum.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Last year I cubed sweet potatoes and roasted them. Then I tossed them with my onion confit and sage butter. It's a keeper and is on the menu again for this year. You can make ahead the butter and onion confit. Cube the potatoes and hold them in cold water. Then just roast them for about 20 mins. while the turkey rests. Toss everything together and serve!

sliced sweet potatoes and apples baked with, well you know.......

when it starts to bubble real good sprinkle honey roasted cashews on the top and cook until it's nice and brown on top........

great at christmas with ham too.........

My mother's always made whipped sweet potatoes with bourbon. Use butter, brown sugar, and bourbon in whatever relative amounts you'd like. Very popular, especially among her Southern Baptist extended family.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Here's a yummy thing I got from my sister who got it from her husband's Louisiana family who'd made it since forever. I've made for years now myself and was surprised to find it on the menu recently at a Ruth's Chris Steak House in Louisville:

Sweet potato casserole

Preheat oven to 350

3 cups sweet potatoes (about 5 sweet potatoes), either boiled or roasted

1/2 cup sugar

2 eggs

1/2 cup butter

1 tsp vanilla

1/3 cup milk

mash potatoes, add all of the above and put in a casserole dish

1 cup brown sugar

half cup flour

1/3 cup softened butter

1 cup chopped, roasted pecans

mix together, throw on top of mixture in casserole.

bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. it's lovely the next day straight out of the refrigerator too.

I'm going to fry my sp's this year, because the night before I am baking a ham with collards and sp's for the kids when they come home from school for break. I just peel and slice them the next day, coat them in egg wash then a little self rising flour, fry them up and sprinkle them with powdered sugar. Quick and easy.

We've got an interesting and simple sweet potato recipe in our 'Foodie Craze Thanksgiving Guide,' downloadable from our website:

Sweet Potatoes with Pecan Sauce

It's actually an adaptation of a recipe from the early 1700’s.

The Thanksgiving guide is free -- go to the "freebies for foodies" section of our site -- http://www.triviacraze.com. Some nice recipes if I say so myself. Though I don't necessarily hope to impress you eGullet mavens.

Neil

Trivia Craze LLC

http://www.triviacraze.com

Creators of Foodie Craze,

The fun trivia game for food lovers

Perhaps this would be too much trouble depending on how many people you're feeding, but how about just oven roasting whole sweet potatoes and offering a variety of toppings so people could "customize" their own? Offer butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, spices, pecans, etc. I really love sweet potatoes served like that.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Last year I cubed sweet potatoes and roasted them. Then I tossed them with my onion confit and sage butter. It's a keeper and is on the menu again for this year. You can make ahead the butter and onion confit. Cube the potatoes and hold them in cold water. Then just roast them for about 20 mins. while the turkey rests. Toss everything together and serve!

Thank you for sharing. This sounds great little ms foodie.

A keeper sweet potato side dish recipe for me has been roasted sweet potatoes, split and topped with a compound butter made with black pepper, lemon zest and lemon juice and then a little brown sugar sprinkled over the top before glazing under the broiler. It's not too sweet and the the black pepper and lemon add a surprisingly great and slightly unique flavor.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I'm going to try sweat potato ravioli with gorgonzola cream,walnuts,sage and raisins.

I am also making chipotle spiced roasted, then mashed sweet potato as a filling for thinly sliced pieces of black and blue venison.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

http://www.selectappliance.com/exec/ce-rec...t_potato_gratin

Not sure if that link will work. I suck at linking.

I really want to make this recipe!

Do you think it would be as good if I used half and half?

well actually I can't get half and half either but I make regular potato gratins (that calls for half and half) with half milk and half cream.

Here in my little part of Yokohama 200ml (3/4 cup) of cream will cost $4, so 4 cups is a little out of my budget....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

1/2 and 1/2 will work fine. You can add the butter fat by adding a little melted butter. Not much of a tip considering I have no clue how much butter costs over there. If it is not too expense the dish should come out fine either way.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

1/2 and 1/2 will work fine. You can add the butter fat by adding a little melted butter. Not much of a tip considering I have no clue how much butter costs over there. If it is not too expense the dish should come out fine either way.

yeah butter is expensive too.... (about $3 for 3/4 of a pound...)

but since I will save money on the cream... :biggrin:

The sushi is cheaper over here though! :laugh:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

My favorite sweet potatoes I ever made were whipped with maple syrup & chipolte and lime infused cream, I swirled a chipolte maple reduction over the top and it was a lovely deep red over orange oh my goodness they were soo good.

However this year the kitchen taliban has decreed that everything must be traditional..as in no "weird" ingredients. So I am making twice baked sweet potatoes

Wednesday night I plan to roast them, slice them in half, scoop them out and mash them up with vanilla, some brown sugar, a little bit of orange juice & orange zest, put the mash back in the skins.

Thursday I'll top them with baby marshmallows, toasted pecans and bit more orange zest and then pop them back in and cook till bubbly

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

yeah butter is expensive too.... (about $3 for 3/4 of a pound...)

but since I will save money on the cream... :biggrin:

The sushi is cheaper over here though! :laugh:

Haha.. I was going to say.. Substitute the cream for uni. Some good fish to mix has to be cheaper then cream...

Edited by Daniel (log)