• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

N.O. Rum

Kristian

I'd like to hear everyone's opinions about N.O. Rum. I've been tasting it a few times now, and I have to admit that it's not one of my favourites. Here are some of my notes:

The rum smells rather clearly of maple syrup and it is very sweet and spicy. The taste is medium-bodied and syrupy with a definite spicy edge that leaves rather a long and ever-lasting aftertaste. The overt sweetness is a small gripe.

As an afterthought, I think the sweetness might suite the rum rather well as it reminds one of the city itself and the 'touristy' atmosphere there...

Drove across the river from Vicksburg into Louisiana, and bought a bottle of the dark (86 proof) for $15.99. They didn't have the light.

The dark is cloudy, and even has a little foam.

Didn't have much flavour, to me, with a beer-like aftertaste (I don't care for beer).

It's not bad, but nothing spectacular, either. But, I'm sure I'll finish the bottle...eventually.

:cool:

We have similar experiences, then... I'm in the process of building up my personal tasting notes and was wondering whether my comment about rather a long and ever-lasting aftertaste did enough homage to the rum, or if it was too subtle... :wink:

I did not notice the foam, though... I wonder how much their shipments differ from each other...

• 1 month later...

At the risk of being shot on arrival for a rum tasting at the New Orleans Margaritaville in a couple of days, I have to agree with the comments to date. But considering that this is a boutique rum sold primarily in a tourist market, it could be a lot worse. The word 'underwhelmed' comes to mind.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 2 weeks later...

In all fairness to the people who worked hard to make NO Rum, on my last trip to New Orleans, after my previous post, I tried NO rum again and have to say that it is improving from a year or so ago.

In fact, that's the opinion of more than one rum connoisseur in that area who's convinced that it is improving. When you think about it, as the rum stocks age, the rum should get better. It's pretty tough to make a product, store it in such a way that it will evaporate while it's being stored and not planning to sell it for at least three years.

Imagine opening a restaurant and not getting paid for a meal for the first two years. Hats off to anyone who tries to make rum and sell it in an increasingly educated market.

I look forward to trying it again next year.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

That sounds like a good explanation for the differences that I and Bolivar found in the rum (in addition to the normal preference issues). Perhaps one of us got 'last year's model'... :hmmm:

And I seem to recall reading somewhere that the master blender behind NO Rum himself admitted that their earlier products were not really of the quality that he would have liked and that they are improving it with each passing year... If I had a better access to the said rum (I doubt it will be imported to Finland anytime soon), it might be nice to follow its progress from year to year...

• 2 months later...