• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oh Lord....Gibby's !

iroc326

So last night I head out to Gibby's with business collegues (I wasn't paying). My worst fears got true.

First, waiters and waitresses dressed in bavarian folklore !

Second, I look at the menu and boom : almost all main dishes are over 40$

Third, our waitress is pouring wine like gas coming out of a fuel pump, splashing it all over the table. She also was bending over the table and litteraly squashing the people sitting in front of me.

Fourth : the food. Casa Grecque style, with 1 broccoli and 1 baked patato.

Fifth : inconsistent wine list, although mark-up seemed ok.

Sixth : How come Americans and Ontarians like going there ? It's one of the biggest scams in MTL.

How come Americans and Ontarians like going there ? It's one of the biggest scams in MTL.

Good question. I've often wondered why any visitor to Montreal would go to any of our steakhouses. Montreal has so many places that are unusual and even unique; I can't fathom passing them by in favour of food and an experience that can be found in nearly every city on the continent.

Its not just Americans and Ontarioites who visit Gibby's.There a fair share of Quebekers.I go and I don't know why?

Its a tough question why people continue to go Gibby's?I think it has something to do with the 70's and when you first started to go to restaurants with your folks.The basement is cozy,they treat my kid like he's the man The Bavarian dressed ladies are not that bad.I always tell them NO Brocolli and I still get it, but at least they smile.The valets are nice.

The best thing to do when you go to Gibby's is bring a calculator and try to estimate how much money Mr.Gibby does in one night?Scary.Perhaps we(restaurant people) should all try to figure it out,as it seems to work-but I do not know

• 2 weeks later...
Moishes is way better than Gibbys.

Gibbys is really bad!

I'm so glad I read this thread. It's been recommended to me more than a few times by people that swear by it... I think the people that like these types of restaurants are the ones that are too scared to experiment with new food. At those prices, there are a million better choices in montreal, as I keep telling people.

How funny I saw this thread, my husband and I were recently talking about our experience at Gibby's about 5 years ago, as an example of how NOT to run a restaurant.

We were visiting Montreal, and Gibby's was recommended in all the tourist material (RED ALERT!!). We found the food itself to be quite nice, but the noise from the fact that they crammed tables in every conceivable spot (I could hear the neighbouring tables better than my husband) really distracted us from it. Service was only okay, and the waiter couldn't make a wine recommendation if his life depended on it.

As comparison, the evening before we'd stumbled into a wonderful, cozy little place called Chez Julien. Pricing very reasonable, service top-notch, just a great experience.

Tourists, I can understand getting sucked into a place like Gibby's. Locals, don't get it :unsure:

**Melanie**