• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bentley's

If you get there quick, you'll probably find Richard Corrigan himself manning the oyster bar at Bentley's which opened this week. A selection of half a dozen rocks and natives will set you back 12.00, as will the same amount of cherry clams. Fish soup at 6.25 comes with crouton, rouille but definately no cheese and a whole cornish crab (14.00) with homemade mayo. The main dining room upstairs is due to open Monday.

As usual, your finger on the pulse, Andy! :) Which of the above did you enjoy?

Always wanted to ask- do London restaurants/Pubs/Bars serve Oyster Shooters?

Cheers,

Paula

"...It is said that without the culinary arts, the crudeness of reality would be unbearable..." Leopold

And for those of us without your detailed knowledge of dining venues, could you give us a clue as to where it is?

That might help! Apologies. Its at 11-15 Swallow Street, London W1. Tel: 020 7734 4756. If your walking along Regent Street from Picacdilly Circus towards Oxford Street, you'll see the sign on your left after about 400 yards. It should be a bit of a Graveyard spot as its tucked away from view and its very unlikely that you would just walk past it, but I understand that the restaurant has been going for well over 30 years and has been fully booked since it re-opened.

I've never seen that over here, and in fact at some of the Conran places like Quaglino's and Bluebird there's a warning in small print at the bottom of the menu. Something like 'It is not advisable to drink spirits with oysters'.

Anyway, sounds to me like a way for a restaurant to cover up dodgy shellfish. Feeling poorly? Must've been all the vodka, not the mollusc. :blink:

Sarah

Sarah

...Although it has more recently become popular to serve them with vodka on...

The type of which I speak is a freshly shucked, what we in the Pacific NW deem as 'extra small' (about the size of the end of your thumb) Oyster, in a shot glass and highly seasoned with a dash of tabasco, Worcestershire & a pinch of horseradish or squeeze of fresh lime juice and a grind of fresh black pepper.

Then you slurp it down...

Although, I prefer my Oysters neat, or breaded and pan fried.

:)

"...It is said that without the culinary arts, the crudeness of reality would be unbearable..." Leopold

There are many themes and variations on the 'oyster shooter.' As Paula mentioned above, the original is as described, however as an amuse, or in the recent sturm of small plates dining, it can range from a mignonette to blood orange, preserved lemon or other citrus-based foams or sauces, to truffle-infusion or even a touch of bearnaise - choose your poison.

I've even seen them as a garnish or shotgun accessory to that other PNW classic: the Bloody Caesar.

J.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

• 1 year later...

Ate for the first time at Bentley's last night and thought it very nice. Quite homely cooking but well executed. Shellfish cocktail came with pieces of Lobster, a couple of different prawns a decent amount of crab meat and a solitary Langoustine still in the shell. All served with a Marie Rose sauce, everything very nice and fresh except the Langoustine which seemed a little overcooked. Another starter of Linguine and Lobster was declared too rich with cream.

I chose the fish pie for main course hoping that it wouldn't be like those frozen Findus ones I relate to from my childhood (not that I ever ate one). It didn't disappoint, large pieces of fish (Haddock and Salmon I believe) and prawns swathed in a creamy sauce and smooth mash nicely browned under the grill and dressed (at their suggestion ) with a light Tabasco sauce, Fish and chips was a lovely piece of haddock in a good beer batter, I thought the chips were a little disappointing but nobody else seemed to notice and the mushy peas were a good side strong with garlic. I didn't taste a further main of Lincolnshire Gratin with Baked Cod but the recipient had no complaints.

I finished of with Oyster stout rarebit which was a nice change but as Rachel said "that's not a dessert". The others had plums soaked in brandy with custard. This was delicious, cinnamon flavoured custard and nicely alcoholic plums.

Overall very nice, with service, aperitifs and two bottles of Gavi di Gavi (I forget the producer) it came to a touch under £250 for 4 of us which we all though was pretty reasonable.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

• 2 months later...
If you get there quick, you'll probably find Richard Corrigan himself manning the oyster bar at Bentley's which opened this week. A selection of half a dozen rocks and natives will set you back 12.00, as will the same amount of cherry clams. Fish soup at 6.25 comes with crouton, rouille but definately no cheese and a whole cornish crab (14.00) with homemade mayo. The main dining room upstairs is due to open Monday.

He is still there! Although not shucking oysters but talking to punters. Had a lengthy chat with the man, in what is a fantastic oyster bar. Great atmosphere in the place. I ate a delicious rarebit and delightful crozier blue soaked in Banyuls. Only wished I had saved myself to try some more of the excellent dishes on the menu. The Oyster stout is too good and the jazz pianist a nice touch. Richard Corrigan is a consummate host and his personality lights the place up.

He also has some very high opinions of certain members on here :wink:

He is still there! Although not shucking oysters but talking to punters. Had a lengthy chat with the man, in what is a fantastic oyster bar. Great atmosphere in the place. I ate a delicious rarebit and delightful crozier blue soaked in Banyuls. Only wished I had saved myself to try some more of the excellent dishes on the menu. The Oyster stout is too good and the jazz pianist a nice touch. Richard Corrigan is a consummate host and his personality lights the place up.

He also has some very high opinions of certain members on here :wink:

Hmm, do tell.... I've always defended the Lindsay House on here so perhaps a free meal is in the offing :biggrin:

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

• 1 year later...

Went to Bentley's for the second time last night. Love the atmosphere in this place. Sat up at the bar, which is great 'cos you can watch the chief shucker in full flow. Jersey oysters were zingingly fresh. Followed up with thai-style monkfish, very tasty with huge prawns in the mix. Finished up with delicious vanilla ice cream (always a good test of a place I think), and dessert wine on the house.

OK, the food is straightforward, but that is fine as it is so well done. You always get some real characters in there as well - great for people watching.

i am aware that i always moan about food descriptions but i would be seriously worried if any oyster was any less than "zingingly fresh". its bentlys, we know they are fresh can't we come up with a better description

Matt Christmas.

i am aware that i always moan about food descriptions but i would be seriously worried if any oyster was any less than "zingingly fresh".  its bentlys, we know they are fresh can't we come up with a better description

Ha ha! My lexicon is admittedly weak, but I think describing the taste of an oyster is not easy; "crisp" or "clean" is about the best I can come up with. I challenge you to come up with an appropriate oyster-specific adjective chefmatt!

This article is pretty good:

http://www.chow.com/stories/10713

Edited by Siharris28 (log)

Wonderful article, I enjoyed reading that. Describing oysters reminds of a phrase that will always stick in my mind; "the English poet said it best: there were more preposterous vicissitudes in life than a single philosophy could conjure" - seems apt.

If I am your princess, then where is my crown?

Great article.

we obviously have trouble nailing the actual flavour, lets say they taste of oysters just to be clear, if they taste of anything else then you really should book somewhere else next time.

i think the thing that seperates oysters for me is three fold, the balance of sweet, salt and metalicity (is that a word?) the best oysters i ever had were actually at bentleys and were high on sweetness (for an oyster) low on metalicity and medium on salt. they were natives, i forget where from. i find some rocks too high on the salt and metalicity and low on sweetness. this obviously depends where they are from and these levels differ for different types. i know people that love that type of oyster. i also prefer firmer ones that i can actually get my teeth into and i am not chasing it round my mouth.

that could possibly be the geekiest thing i have ever posted!!

Matt Christmas.

Great article.

we obviously have trouble nailing the actual flavour, lets say they taste of oysters just to be clear, if they taste of anything else then you really should book somewhere else next time.

i think the thing that seperates oysters for me is three fold, the balance of sweet, salt and metalicity (is that a word?)  the best oysters i ever had were actually at bentleys and were high on sweetness (for an oyster) low on metalicity and medium on salt.  they were natives, i forget where from.  i find some rocks too high on the salt and metalicity and low on sweetness.  this obviously depends where they are from and these levels differ for different types.  i know people that love that type of oyster.  i also prefer firmer ones that i can actually get my teeth into and i am not chasing it round my mouth.

that could possibly be the geekiest thing i have ever posted!!

For the record, the ones at Bentleys the other day were the best I have tried (in a pretty limited range of experience, admittedly). They were relatively firm and certainly not overly salty, little "metalicity" to speak of although not a great deal of sweetness either.

Generally very pleasing and quite hard to describe!