• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates for the holiday

jturn00

I would add it as I add any other liquor/liqueur/flavoring to ganache ... but it will likely need some tweaking. Depending on what you're using the ganache for, I would start w/about 1 fl oz per cup of ganache and work from there. There are some alcohol based flavorings I use that I like to intensify, so to keep the ganache from becoming too loose, I bump up the amount of chocolate a bit.

That being said, somehow I think limoncello would go best with white chocolate. I am one of those who says she would eat bat guano if it were covered in fine chocolate, but I have never developed a yen for lemon or lime and chocolate. Orange, oh my yes, tangerine, grapefruit, definitely. But not lemon. And especially not w/dark dark chocolate. I'lll have to give it another whirl, though. It's likely some idiosyncratic thing in my biochem.

Please report results!!

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

I did some research last night.

I am thinking of doing a coffee ganache, pear caramel ganache, a dark chcolate ganache (a request from my brother) and maybe a white ganache using lemoncello (or another flavoring that goes with white chocolate).

I will let everyone know how they turn out.

I made my chocolates over the weekend. I made a pear caramel ganache which is a recipe I got when I was at Le Cirque, I made the kona coffee ganache from chocolate obsessions and I tried a white chocolate lemoncello ganache (which was a recipe from norman love when he presented it on NBC.)

The coffee and caramel are really gooooood!

I had some problems with the white chocolate ganache. It was a little too soft when I tried to top off the molds which made a big mess. The lemon didn't come through either. I also added some honey (instead of the corn syrup as the recipe call for). The ganache had a light floral note to it but the lemon didn't realy come across. But my tasters seemed to like it. Next time I would add more lemoncello and then add more white chocolate to enable the ganache to set up.

Jeff

I made my chocolates over the weekend.  I made a pear caramel ganache which is a recipe I got when I was at Le Cirque, I made the kona coffee ganache from chocolate obsessions and I tried a white chocolate lemoncello ganache (which was a recipe from norman love when he presented it on NBC.) 

I had some problems with the white chocolate ganache.  It was a little too soft when I tried to top off the molds which made a big mess.  The lemon didn't come through either.  I also added some honey (instead of the corn syrup as the recipe call for).  The ganache had a light floral note to it but the lemon didn't realy come across.  But my tasters seemed to like it.  Next time I would add more lemoncello and then add more white chocolate to enable the ganache to set up.

Jeff

Sounds great, wish I was on your x-mas list :raz:

Could you please post the recipe for the pear caramel ganache, it sounds very tasty!

Thanks

/Mette

I'm not sure if I can post the recipe for the caramel ganache since it isn't public knowledge. But it is a ganache similar to the burnt caramel ganache in "Chocolate Obessions" but it is spiked with pear williams liquor.

I made my chocolates over the weekend.  I made a pear caramel ganache which is a recipe I got when I was at Le Cirque, I made the kona coffee ganache from chocolate obsessions and I tried a white chocolate lemoncello ganache (which was a recipe from norman love when he presented it on NBC.) 

I had some problems with the white chocolate ganache.  It was a little too soft when I tried to top off the molds which made a big mess.  The lemon didn't come through either.  I also added some honey (instead of the corn syrup as the recipe call for).  The ganache had a light floral note to it but the lemon didn't realy come across.  But my tasters seemed to like it.  Next time I would add more lemoncello and then add more white chocolate to enable the ganache to set up.

Jeff

If you have any of the limoncello truffles left, try freezing them for a week or two and then trying them. I made some truffles last year with candied orange peel that I thought were really wimpy at first taste. I regretted not adding orange liqueur as well. Then I tasted one that had been stored for a couple of weeks and the flavour had deepened quite a lot and they were really nice.

If only I'd worn looser pants....