• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Laduree at Harrods

balex

Tried to get in after a nice afternoon skate in the park today but got tinned as apparently roller hockey sticks are verboten :angry: (though wild accusations of murder are fine... if you're the owner that is...)

Four mini-macs are six quid (ie a pound fifty apiece) which is more expensive that Pierre Herme in Paris. Flavours on the menu outside were the usual expected... vanilla, butterscotch/gingerbread, raspberry, lemon (I think)... ten regular flavours in all... orange blossom the current "special"... Fairly extensive dining menu too. Foie gras with gingerbread macaroon sounds nice, if pricy.

Full of smartly dressed people without roller hockey sticks :angry:

ta

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Yes, I think wraparound sunglasses which cover half the surface-area of one's face are more de rigeur in Harrods' Laduree than hockey sticks Jon!

Bought a box of six "mini-macs" for £8: liquorice, lemon, gingerbread, caramel with salt, orange blossom, and rose water. All delicious, though quite a contrast between those with "big" flavours (lemon, gingerbread and caramel) and those with more subtle notes. If I went back, I think I'd have the caramel for their delicious qualities and the orange blossom for its interest (quite an intriguing taste that takes a while to appear).

Make sure that they give you one of the lovely hard boxes (and not the standard issue collapsible cake-shop boxes), because, if anything, these are even nicer than the macarons! They come in three or four great designs, and look like they'll be good for storing staples and so on (I need to tell myself this so that I can justify going back again some time...).

Service is ridiculously nineteenth-century, involving one person serving, then giving you a ticket, another wrapping, and a third person taking your ticket and payment, but I guess it all adds to the experience...

roller hockey sticks are verboten  :angry:  (though wild accusations of murder are fine...)

They're trying to attract a higher class of customer, Jon. :raz:

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

• 2 weeks later...

I was there this Sat and oh, seeing the familiar sage green awning brought a smile to my face. It was crazy busy at Harrod's and stepping into Laduree felt much calmer. I bought 2 dozen macarons at a little over £19! But worth every pence. Yum! Also had a religieuse in rose and and Ishpahan. Couldn't wait to try them (with my husband) back at our hotel room. They were wonderful with a cup of tea!

I'm so excited that Laduree is here. I may have to make many, many more trips to London (from the IOW) just to get my macaron fix. :raz:

macarons are nice, though the ganache fillings not as velvety as PH

the presentation and the boxes are exquisite. really nice.

had an ispahan which I though was a bit thuggish; the macaron too heavy and too much cream in the middle and not enough lychee.

I hear good things about the sit-down food

ta

J

I went 2 weeks ago when I was showing my parents around town. As I never visit Harrods normally, I didn't realise at the time that they were new, until a distinct lack of availability of menu items made me ask the question. The service was lovely and very attentive during the ordering stage. Then it fell apart. The ordering waiter told me 2 teas weren't available, then when I had ordered, a waitress came back to tell me my choice also wasn't available, then proceeded to tell me a different set of teas were off the menu. Neither had been briefed in the same manner, or their memories were questionable!

I finally received some tea and I had the sampler of 6 mini Macarons which were ethereal and scrumptions. A sensation of flavour that melted into thin air. So light, so delicious. I would be hooked but my bank account won't let me.

Getting the bill seemed to be an issue as well. Funny - you'd think they would want to be paid to help with the extortionate rent and new furnishings (you have a choice of sitting in different coloured areas, black, blue, orange and i think white? - no difference really, except for the emotional impact you'd like on your senses. I chose the orange which was upstairs. nice view over the cake counter)

Still - I'll be back for a teatime treat next time I'm wanting to escape the manic atmosphere of the food halls, particularly this time of the year.

Ooh, this is dangerous. Mr. Creosote's office used to be next door to Laduree in Paris, and I gained many a kilo there. I walked through on my way to a meeting, but unfortunately didn't have time to eat. The selection looked smaller than the Paris shops, but maybe because that was late in the day and the goods were plundered.

Laduree's caramel, citron, and fruit flavors are my favorites. I leave the lychee and roses to Pierre Herme.

I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on the the croissants, both the golden ancienne and walnut-filled, as well as the traditional St. Honore. The tiny finger sandwiches are ruinously expensive but wonderful.

Getting the bill seemed to be an issue as well. Funny - you'd think they would want to be paid to help with the extortionate rent and new furnishings

Heh, at least some things never change.

Edited by Culinista (log)

Unfortunately no Ispahan today. They did not have any and the macarons look like out of a chain production line.

But then again I hate Krispy Kreme and the whole Harrods thingy is overplayed.

I'll take PG Sketch delightful offerings anytime.

some photos to drool over :laugh:

gallery_18280_2211_2669.jpg

starters orders

gallery_18280_2211_8486.jpg

praline mille feuille

gallery_18280_2211_33569.jpg

carre chocolat

gallery_18280_2211_4820.jpg

raspberry passionfruit tart

gallery_18280_2211_34100.jpg

what was this one called?

gallery_18280_2211_28087.jpg

arabica

gallery_18280_2211_54933.jpg

aftermaths

Edited by origamicrane (log)

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

Origame and Jon were more laconic herewith than they are in person. I think Ladurée deserves a bit more elaboration...though the macarons were perhaps not up to snuff, everything else was really good - the mille-feuille, in particular, stood out for me. Plus the pot of hot chocolate - which is exactly that - a long, slow, yummy pot of melted chocolate. And they were very accommodating, on a two-Saturdays-before Christmas shopping day at prime eating time - with all the frayed nerves and ratty crowds that this implies - two a table of shifting numbers (ultimately six adults) and a baby. We pigged out (albeit mostly on sweets!) for £11 which is not bad. I'd go back. Well after Christmas...

This is the Laduree "Baiser" which is coconut and fruit based.

Yeah one of the recent creations. Of the top of my head white choc on outside. ?strawberry confit/compote inside, poppy seed cream. Could be wrong about the compote. My memory clearly not what it never once was...

The straight patisserie is genuinely impressive, although would say there isn't much competition in London...

ta

J

Edited by Jon Tseng (log)

hehe ok

:laugh: all the cakes were lovely, very light and refined and just right on the sweetness. Service was very good, the friendly staff happily shifting tables and chairs to accomodate us.

The cakes are easily better then my much adored Patisserie Valerie and seem to be on a similar price also they are open to 11pm :) so I have a feeling I will be heading back there very soon and besides still got another 8 cakes to try :)

This is the Laduree "Baiser" which is coconut and fruit based.

Yeah one of the recent creations. Of the top of my head white choc on outside. ?strawberry confit/compote inside, poppy seed cream. Could be wrong about the compote. My memory clearly not what it never once was...

The straight patisserie is genuinely impressive, although would say there isn't much competition in London...

ta

J

There was definitely coconut in it.

Edited by magnolia (log)

...my much adored Patisserie Valerie...

Surely not!? A man with your impeccable taste would not fall for the...what's that English expression meaning "all frills and no substance" of PV? Their cakes may look great but they are way light on flavour...

I dunno I love the ambience there and I still rate their cheescake :wink:

if you know of a better cheesecake show me the way to it :smile:

But the main reason I love the Soho branch of PV is sentimental. :smile:

I've been going there since I was about 5 my Chinese sunday school is just opposite Ronnie Scott's.

It also used to host two of the most funny, friendly, kind and entertaining waitresses I have ever met Maria and Helena.

Maria was just like Edith Artois from the old 80's tv show 'Allo allo'

and Helena was just a babe :wub:

During university I would go there for lunch once a week in between lectures and they would sometimes give me a free slice of cake after my club sandwich and lemon tea. sigh.... :smile:

Then about 8 years ago PV decided to expand, Maria and Helena left and it was then that it started to lose its lustre.

I go there less now but that place still makes me smile.

I dunno I love the ambience there and I still rate their cheescake  :wink:

if you know of a better cheesecake show me the way to it  :smile: 

But the main reason I love the Soho branch of PV is sentimental.  :smile:

I've been going there since I was about 5 my Chinese sunday school is just opposite Ronnie Scott's. 

It also used to host two of the most funny, friendly, kind and entertaining waitresses I have ever met Maria and Helena.

Maria was just like Edith Artois from the old 80's tv show 'Allo allo'

and Helena was just a babe :wub: 

During university I would go there for lunch once a week in between lectures and they would sometimes give me a free slice of cake after my club sandwich and lemon tea. sigh....    :smile:

Then about 8 years ago PV decided to expand, Maria and Helena left and it was then that it started to lose its lustre.

I go there less now but that place still makes me smile.

Well that's as good a reason as any and thanks for reminding me that there are lots of reasons to love a place, not just because of the food. I haven't had their cheesecake, to be honest, I've just had bad luck with their chocolate & fruit cakes. But I'm willing to give it a shot based on your description !

Speaking of bread & pastry shops...I've just been informed that they're opening a Paul on the concourse at Victoria.

For one reason or the other, Ladurée reminds me of GM crops v organic crops.

All these beautiful Macarons look precisely the same in size and texture with a variant of colour. Simply is not real and can only be achieved with the help of your friendly German and Swiss equipment! This is mass production at it's best.

When you bite into a macaron, although the crunch and texture is perfect but you have to work hard for the taste and their explanation is a one of "refined" taste as in humm where is it?

Even the patisserie is line produced. The range is not original as it is the same old French repertoire with the Religieuse, Mont Blanc, and of course their botched Ispahan which was originally created by Pierre Hermé before quiting Ladurée to open his own pastry shop.

Laduree has still to find a replacement and has a lot of catch up to do.

I have been told that an Ispahan "buche de Noel" by Pierre Hermé is in the making. Now this is Xmas.