• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Desserts w/ Pork

Daniel

You could make "Tocino del Cielo" which is a Spanish dessert (imagine a very rich creme caramel). The name means "Bacon/lard from heaven". This way you get the pork with out the puke. On the otherhand, I would make this, but put pieces of sugar infused/candied bacon in the caramel layer.

In Malaysia you can get candied pork to eat as a snack. It's a great taste that can't be beat.

A really nice anti-pasto in I had in Tuscany was thin layers or lardo on warm crostini with Chestnut honey.

Lard is one thing, but if there's straight up pieces of animal flesh in your dish, it is not dessert. I don't care what they do at the Fat Duck or anywhere else, my feelings on that are quite concrete.

But if you have to make something dessert-esque I would do a spin on the Chinese classic; pulled pork in puff or choux, with smoked pear and buttermilk sorbet (or something else cold and acerbic).

Mince pie? :unsure:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Funny that you mention pork desserts because I was watching a recorded episode of Iron Chef last night - Battle Pork Belly. Chen made this dessert where he cust slits into pieces of cooked pork belly with sweet beans. He the put the pieces of stuffed pork into the bottom of a bowl and then pressed glutinous rice on top of it & then steamed the entire thing. After it was unmolded he drizzled a sweet sauce over it. Apparently this is a traditional Szechwan dish. Obviously I'm doing this dish no justice. Did anyone else see this episode?

There's another Chinese dessert that uses lard. At least, they used to use lard--depends on who you ask.

It's steamed yam, immersed in a sweetened liquid that has coconut milk and lard. Very rich, and very good.

And goodness knows I wish I didn't know it had lard! I'm one of those people who can't stand the thought of pork fat going down their throats.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

I will be entertaining a group of friends, the theme of the day will be pork. .Every dish I will make will have pork in it..  I am going to be making interesting uncommon dishes. so I want the dessert to match.. .  I was thinking butterscoth,chocolate,white chocolate bacon tastes.. Caramel bacon..  Would love all your help..

I was looking for low-carb desserts to make for my diabetic dad, and I did a double take at this recipe: Orange Spice Cookies

First ingredient listed -- finely ground pork rinds. :wacko:

Lard is one thing, but if there's straight up pieces of animal flesh in your dish, it is not dessert. I don't care what they do at the Fat Duck or anywhere else, my feelings on that are quite concrete.

But if you have to make something dessert-esque I would do a spin on the Chinese classic; pulled pork in puff or choux, with smoked pear and buttermilk sorbet (or something else cold and acerbic).

Right -- modern "mincemeat" has no meat let alone mints, mince, or mintz. But it certainly used to. The sweet kept the meat from spoiling. But that was then.

I've always thought the Moroccan bistillah chicken pie -- the one with the powdered sugar on top -- would be a good dessert. Maybe do a version of that.

Maybe do a riff on a Chinese sweet pork bun.

I thought the toucinho do ceu (bacon from heaven) idea above was cute.

Neil

Trivia Craze LLC

http://www.triviacraze.com

Creators of Foodie Craze,

The fun trivia game for food lovers

This is the type of thread that makes me love eGullet. :biggrin:

There is a Wylie Dufresne recipe in last week's New York magazine for Goat-Cheese Panna Cotta with Bacon Syrup and Cashews as part of his "blasphemist's christmas", which he describes as both the cheese and dessert course in one.

Would it be too much to call this thread genius? I think not. :wink:

Edited by mikeycook (log)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Daniel, you're kidding right? Just when I think I've seen it all, I get surprised.

Pigs feet have a nice gelatinous quality, and a mild-ish flavor. Perhaps you can do something with that.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Right -- modern "mincemeat" has no meat let alone mints, mince, or mintz. But it certainly used to. The sweet kept the meat from spoiling. But that was then.

I've always thought the Moroccan bistillah chicken pie -- the one with the powdered sugar on top -- would be a good dessert. Maybe do a version of that.

Maybe do a riff on a Chinese sweet pork bun.

I thought the toucinho do ceu (bacon from heaven) idea above was cute.

Mincemince meat has suet in it even now. Or should.

Here is a link to a recent discription of some modern Sicilian mince pies by Albiston. These contain beef, but you could substitute pork or ham. There were a lot of variations on these pies, tongue was a popular meat. They are also quite seasonal.

Most people seem to go "ick" when they here about meat in a sweet pie, but they have never tasted them so what do they know.

I have eaten them and the meat content is not really detectable, if anything it adds a textual difference.

Edited by Adam Balic (log)

There is a traditional Acadian dessert containing salt pork (Acadians were/are big salt-pork eaters).

Slice your salt pork thinly, and fry over moderate heat until the strips have rendered out and are thinly, crisply, delicious. Roll pastry dough, cut into squares (3, 4, 5" as you wish). Place a piece of salt pork in the middle of each, and cover with apples. Fold up the corners to make a square packet, pinching the corners together so that the juices do not foul your oven. While the pockets are baking, reduce some maple syrup by 1/3 on your stovetop. When pockets are beginning to be nicely browned, drizzle reduced maple syrup into the opening at the top of each pastry. Return to the oven for a few minutes.

Serve when cooled to room temperature.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Ok.. I think we have decided on desserts.. We are going with a chocolate cake studded with toffee or caramel or butterscotch bacon.. A bacon bread pudding, thank you Ling.. And Dave's the Cooks Sweet Pork Cake..

My question is.. Does anyone have a good bacon ice cream recipe?

Edited by Daniel (log)

The Pork cake thread includes the recipe for pork mincemeat I posted a year or so ago.

Viva made the mincemeat and the cake and posted wonderful photos.

You can also use the mincemeat in empanadas, turnovers, tarts, and when thinned with a liquor, spread between layers of a stack cake. I make "beggars bags" with filo dough and a teaspoon of the pork mincemeat, or use wonton wrappers, seal and deep fry the little packets and apply a little spun sugar over them.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My question is.. Does anyone have a good bacon ice cream recipe?

I would infuse the dairy with the SMOKIEST, least fatty bacon that you can find. I would replace the sugar with maple syrup and then when the stuff is just finishing churning, I would add some crisped and drained bacon morsels.

Not that that is a recipe....just a contingency plan.

WOW. I'm so impressed and inspired by these ideas.

Have you already seen this post on Chocolate Coated Bacon? It sounds like it's not such a great combo...

http://karagitz.blogspot.com/2005/09/choco...d-bacon_28.html

I've been wanting to make bacon ice cream for a while now, although I wasn't able to find a recipe online. I was thinking of making a brown sugar ice cream and then just stirring in crisp bacon bits (homemade) near the end of freezing.

Can't wait to hear what you decide on for your bacon dessert!

Megan Woo

IHEARTBACON.COM

I wanted to post the desserts from my Porkfest here as well as the entire dinner under cooking there here Oink.. Thank you for all your help and ideas everyone.. Shout out to Ling and the Bacon Brioche..

"This was IMO the most creative and interesting part of the meal.. It really was based around toffee covered bacon.. Or Bacon Brittle or whatever you want to call it.. We basically cubed bacon, fried it and covered in toffee.. It really is amazing.. Covers the bacon in a protective sweet shell forever keeping it crisp..

gallery_15057_2091_662916.jpg

Beautiful

gallery_15057_2091_569471.jpg

Cake.. We made a Pierre Hermes Suzy's Cake.. Put the Toffee Bacon and a Caramel Ganache in between the layers.. Covered with the glaze from the Pave cake.. Giving the cake a hard shell.. It was delicious, rich, and the bacon went really well...

Served with a 10 egg yolk vanilla custard with toffee bacon..

gallery_15057_2091_469064.jpg

gallery_15057_2091_440700.jpg

gallery_15057_2091_954035.jpg

Thanks to Ling for the suggestion.. We made a Bacon Brioche Pudding with a sugar bourbon glaze.. This was awesome.. It really was delicious..

gallery_15057_2091_609914.jpg

Amazing..

gallery_15057_2091_936967.jpg"