• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chewy chocolate cookies

jayhay

Forgive me if these have already been discussed, but I couldn't find them on RecipeGullet.

I'm looking for a dark chocolate cookie, with or without chocolate chips. A friend of mine is having serious health problems, so I thought a batch of her favourite type of cookies might brighten her day.

Any good chewy recipes I should try?

Edited by jayhay (log)

CIA's Mudslide Cookies are to die for! They are a chewy chocolate cookie with chips and a few walnuts (I used pecans). The proportions are just right, deep chocolate flavour, the nuts offset the sweetness, mmmmmmm. Let me know if you need the recipe. Oh, and they are about the size and shape of normal chocolate chip cookies. The dough is very soft so you roll it in a log, chill or freeze and cut off slices.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

CIA's Mudslide Cookies are to die for! They are a chewy chocolate cookie with chips and a few walnuts (I used pecans). The proportions are just right, deep chocolate flavour, the nuts offset the sweetness, mmmmmmm. Let me know if you need the recipe. Oh, and they are about the size and shape of normal chocolate chip cookies. The dough is very soft so you roll it in a log, chill or freeze and cut off slices.

Do you have the recipe?

Ilene

Do you have the recipe?

Here you go. If you try them, please report back.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Here's one I like.

Chewy Double Chocolate Cookies

1 1/4 cups butter -- softened

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

Cream together the butter and both sugars. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.

Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in the chocolate chips. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 8 to 9 minutes. Cool.

These are unreal - Ignore the fact they come from BHG - they're amazing.

Here's the original intro, which is now missing from their site:

Mocha Truffle Cookies: "These double-chocolate cookies have a soft trufflelike center, a crispy outside, and a delectable coffee flavor."

Note: For the second ingredient listed, I use 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate, chopped instead of "chocolate pieces" I also use instant espresso instead of coffee.

BHG's instructions suck, so just ignore them. For example, they say to melt the chocolate and butter in a pan instead of a double boiler, etc. Another note: Cookies should remain very soft, almost raw to the touch in the centers; the edges will get crunchy as they cool).

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/recipedetail.jhtml?recipeId=5949

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

You're right - they're not exactly chewy, more decadently truffley on the inside and crispy on the edges. But, I do find them both mocha-ey and chocolatey - the chocolatey part comes from the 1 cup semi-sweet chips/chunks, which create the truffle-like centers.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I don't know if this is too subversive... but Trader Joes has a boxed brownie mix (Yellow and brown box I believe).

On the side panel is a recipe for cookies using the brownie mix. I think you add 1 egg and a whole stick of melted butter.

Stupidly simple... but a really good chocolate cookie. There are choc. chips in the mix, so every bite is pretty decadent. Because of the high butter content, they are chewy and rich. Just don't overcook them.

raquel

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe -Roy Batty

I have a similar recipe to the BHG cookie, that was published in the LA Times from Some Crust Bakery. They aren't especially chewy, more truffly, but you can reduce the amount of coffee to reduce the mocha flavor.

4 1/2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped

9 oz. bittersweet chocolate (70%), coarsely chopped

1/2 C. (1 stick) unsalted butter

4 eggs

3 TBS. instant espresso powder

1 3/4 C. sugar

1/2 C. pastry flour

1/4 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. salt

8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped into 1/2-inch chunks (or use semi-sweet morsels)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt unsweetened chocolate, bittersweet chocolate, and butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.

Combine eggs, espresso powder and sugar in mixer and mix on low speed until blended, then on high speed until mixture becomes lighter in color and thickens, about 2-3 minutes. Add melted chocolate mixture (do not cool beforehand) and beat on medium speed until just mixed.

Add pastry flour, baking powder and salt, scraping down the sides of the mixer as necessary, mixing at medium-low speed, just until combined. Fold in the remaining chocolate chunks.

Scoop or spoon one-fourth cup batter per cookie onto parchment. Bake until set, about 15 minutes. Cool for a few minutes before removing to a rack to cool completely.

My other favorite chewy chocolate cookie is this one:

Chocolate Crinkles

4 oz. high quality unsweetened chocolate, chopped

1/2 C. canola oil

2 C. granulated sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

4 large eggs

2 C. all-purpose flour

2 tsp. baking powder

1 C. powdered sugar

Melt chocolate in a double boiler. Pour into a large bowl and stir in the oil, then the granulated sugar and salt. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in flour and baking powder until combined. Dough will be loose and sticky. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350F. Form heaping teaspoons of dough into 1-inch balls and roll in powdered sugar to coat. Place about 2 inches apart on lined baking sheets and bake 8-10 minutes. Tops will crack, but the dough in the center will still look moist. Let cookies rest a few minutes before removing to racks to cool completely.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I have a similar recipe to the BHG cookie, that was published in the LA Times from Some Crust Bakery.

I can tell by reading that recipe that these cookies are out of this world. I will have to try these and the CIA Mudslide cookies next week! Thanks for posting. :wub:

I was thinking about making those Mudslide cookies & now that I take a close look at the recipe( I have the book) I realize that those are the cookies I used to make for a catering company in SF. The owner went to the CIA. I have been trying to find that damn recipe for 3 yrs & it was right under my nose.

What I did with the batter was to chill it overnight & then scoop it. The result being a much thicker & much more decadent cookie. If you chill it let it stand for a few minutes before scooping & rinse your scoop in hot water after every scoop. The batter is somewhat runny if you use it the day you make it. The cookies will be thin but still chewy. I also used insatnt espresso powder instead of coffee. The espresso is more bitter so I substituted milk chocolate chips for the bittersweet chips.

Thanks for the recipes...I intend to make them all eventually. :smile:

Yesterday it was Claire's recipe:

I found that chilling the batter, then rolling into balls before baking, worked best for me. They spread too much in the initial batch, using the un-chilled dough & dropping by teaspoonfuls.

Also, the baked cookies, after sitting overnight, were much closer to the texture I was looking for, soft & chewy. Right after baking, they were a little brittle(not sure if it was because I might have over mixed them), but still, they had delicious flavour.

Thanks Claire!

Glad you tried it, but sorry they spread. I wish I'd included something in the recipe about chilling the dough. Here's another one which a friend said was her favorite. It has less fat and more flour, so there's not as much spreading.

Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

3 cups flour

3/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa

3/4 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

1 cup butter, softened

1 cup sugar

1 cup brown sugar, packed

1 tsp. vanilla extract

2 eggs

12 ounces of bittersweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350º. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.

Cream butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract. Beat in eggs. By hand, stir in flour mixture, followed by chocolate chips.

Chill dough.

Drop by tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 9-10 minutes. Let cool for about 2 minutes on cookie sheet.

(adapted from Great American Bake Sale)

After making the CIA mudslide recipe I concluded that they were still way too thin for my taste & added an additional 1 1/2 -2 cups all purpose flour. Next time I will use a.p. flour instead of pastry which the recipe calls for. It didn't have enough structure to hold up the choc chips. They turned out thicker & didn't spread as much.

After making the CIA mudslide recipe I concluded that they were still way too thin for my taste & added an additional 1 1/2 -2 cups all purpose flour. Next time I will use a.p. flour instead of pastry which the recipe calls for. It didn't have enough structure to hold up the choc chips.  They turned out thicker & didn't spread as much.

I'm sorry the recipe didn't work out for you. I have one of CIA's textbooks that has a huge recipe. I reduced it to a size that only used 2 eggs. It turned out perfect. Not thin, good texture, etc. Here's the weights I used:

2 oz unsweetened chocolate

6 oz bittersweet chocolate

1 oz butter

2 large eggs

6 oz white sugar

2 gr vanilla

2 gr coffee extract (I think I used about 1 tsp espresso powder & 1 tsp water)

1 oz pastry flour

2-1/2 gr baking powder

1 gr salt

1-1/4 oz pecans

4-1/2 oz chocolate chips

I chilled the dough to get it firmed up a bit, then rolled it and froze it for a few hours. Cut off 1/2" slices and baked.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I made jgarner53's chocolate cookies today. Here's a pic:

cookies.jpg

(The batter is especially good! Perhaps even better than the cookies... :wub: )

I made two changes:

-lowered the amount of sugar to 1 1/3 cup

-omitted the espresso powder and added 3 tbsp of Scharffen Berger cocoa nibs

Ling, how do those compare to the Bittersweet Deception Cookies? Do you like them more, less or the same?

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Hi Patrick,

I liked the Bittersweet Deception cookies a bit more--they contain a bit more chocolate. Also, I underbaked them when I made them a few weeks ago, so maybe that's why they seem more chocolate-y to me.

The recipe that jgarner posted is very similar to the Bittersweet Deception cookies but with a bit more butter and a bit less chocolate. I baked them for about 14 minutes and when I took them out, they were done all the way through.

Just my 2 cents worth... I tried the Deception cookies before making the Mudslide cookies and I found them too sweet and too many nuts which is why I kept looking. I can't remember which chocolate I used but that may have been the issue. I could try them again with a more bittersweet chocolate and less nuts but I like CIA's so much, I don't think it'll be anytime soon. There has to be a cookie to satisfy everyone's taste though, so it's a good thing there's so many. :smile: By the way, they look very similar to Patrick's Deception cookies, except with a few nuts, but the general shape and thickness are about the same.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

^CanadianBakin'...could you take a look at the recipe Patrick S posted? I'm assuming the website is perhaps wrong in naming that particular recipe the CIA Mudslide cookie recipe, since you have the book. (The recipes are quite different.)

The sugar content in a recipe usually doesn't really matter to me...I can always scale it down to my tastes. I scaled the sugar in the Bittersweet Deception cookies down to 1/3 cup, and only used 1 cup of chopped walnuts. I'll try the recipe you posted next!

Edited by Ling (log)