• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Silex sapphire blue 2-cup coffee maker

Lonnie

In a moment of pure silliness or perhaps greed, I bought a tiny glass coffee maker that I've seen variously described as a 1-cup or 2-cup Fire-King or Anchor Hocking glass Silex coffee maker. Now that it's arrived and turned out to be as adorable as it looked online, I'm puzzled as to how to make coffee in it. It's not a vacuum pot, as it doesn't have a tube extending from the upper part into the lower, and there is no gasket, nor could there be as the lower pot's lip is not round, but rather molded into a spout shape on one side. The little insert thingie appears to be something that might hold a cloth filter, but it's so small that my regular vac pot filters would be too big. It sits loosely over the little holes in the bottom of the to part, so loosely that a fair amount of coffee grounds would fall through.

Does anyone have any experience with these kinds of pots? I'm assuming it must be a drip pot of some sort. But if that's the case, in what does one heat the water? (I'm used to seeing the water heat up in the bottom portion in my vac pots.) And how does one keep the water sitting on the grounds long enough to pick up any coffee essence?

Thanks!

Lonnie

CoffeePot.jpg

CoffeePot2.JPG

"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all of the answers." --James Thurber