• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dishes not in the second edition

Paula, congrats on an excellent new edition. Those of us who are devoted to the original are thrilled with the recipe updates (particularly the use of Moulard ducks) and additions, as well as the excellent list of sources in the back (I have already ordered from several of them).

For those who do not have the original, is there a list anywhere of the names of the dishes that were not included? While it makes sense to have removed many of them for the general audience, eGulleteers are a slightly different breed and might be interested in picking up an original edition as well.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Paula, congrats on an excellent new edition.  Those of us who are devoted to the original are thrilled with the recipe updates (particularly the use of Moulard ducks) and additions, as well as the excellent list of sources in the back (I have already ordered from several of them).

For those who do not have the original, is there a list anywhere of the names of the dishes that were not included?  While it makes sense to have removed many of them for the general audience, eGulleteers are a slightly different breed and might be interested in picking up an original edition as well.

Thanks so much for your very kind words.

There isn't a list but I'm in the process of posting all the dropped recipes up on my website.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

Paula, congrats on an excellent new edition.  Those of us who are devoted to the original are thrilled with the recipe updates (particularly the use of Moulard ducks) and additions, as well as the excellent list of sources in the back (I have already ordered from several of them).

For those who do not have the original, is there a list anywhere of the names of the dishes that were not included?  While it makes sense to have removed many of them for the general audience, eGulleteers are a slightly different breed and might be interested in picking up an original edition as well.

Thanks so much for your very kind words.

There isn't a list but I'm in the process of posting all the dropped recipes up on my website.

Well, Paula, here's another request (as if you didn't have anything else to do!): that you also post the recipes dropped from the revised "Mediterranean Cooking." I don't have the original book, and the few recipes you mention in the Introduction that were dropped sound delicious (if a long way from South Beach :smile: ).

Those dropped recipes will eventually surface on my website. Actually, there weren't all that many dropped, and quite a few were added.

As I recall, among those dropped was a recipe for polvorones, another for a chicken and pancetta tart, and a three-day pasta extravaganza I learned from a wealthy Roman.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.