• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving at the Wolfert Home

Hello Paula,

I have a more personal question, if you will.

I'm guessing some of the readers of your books get the impression that you cook and eat the recipes you write about for your everyday meals (although I've seen the inside of your fridge...).

So - I'm wondering, with Thanksgiving right around the corner, what your menu might be? Will there be couscous at the end? Will it be a table full of slow-cooked claypot dishes? Or do you do the traditional green beans, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie? If Food & Wine Magazine showed up to do a "Paula Wolfert's Thanksgiving" (or better yet, if you showed up at my door to cook me Thanksgiving dinner), what would the menu be?

Curiously hungry,

Bruce

Hello Paula,

I have a more personal question, if you will.

I'm guessing some of the readers of your books get the impression that you cook and eat the recipes you write about for your everyday meals (although I've seen the inside of your fridge...).

So - I'm wondering, with Thanksgiving right around the corner, what your menu might be? Will there be couscous at the end? Will it be a table full of slow-cooked claypot dishes? Or do you do the traditional green beans, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie? If Food & Wine Magazine showed up to do a "Paula Wolfert's Thanksgiving" (or better yet, if you showed up at my door to cook me Thanksgiving dinner), what would the menu be?

Curiously hungry,

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

No, we don't do a traditional Thanksgiving turkey dinner, because when my daughter comes home for holidays she always asks for couscous and my son always asks for zampone with lentils! Like all kids, they're nostalgic for their favorite foods from their childhoods.

But there is a great Turkey dish I sometimes cook on holidays -- see the turkey recipe I got from Michel Bras in PW World of Food. It's anything but traditional, but, boy, is it delicious! If I showed up at your door to cook for you on Thanksgiving, that's probably what I'd prepare.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

Can you tell us more about that dish, Paula?  Does it involve a whole turkey?

The whole bird is stuffed with a mixture of sauteed mushrooms, ham, walnuts, and boudin blanc all cooked along with stuffed onions and pan juices.

The recipe for stuffed onions in the in the CSWF.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.