• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Competitive Eating

GordonCooks

How can anyone eat 10 pounds of baked beans (let alone a person who weighs in at 100lbs)? How can anybody fit that much into their stomach? If I ate 10% of my body weight in beans I think I would go into a coma!

Amazing...

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

How can anyone eat 10 pounds of baked beans (let alone a person who weighs in at 100lbs)?

There is, if you read (or even want to) read that website carefully, a method to do this activity which need not lead to gastronomic distress ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

this from Sports Illustrated ...

O.K., there is no human the dreaded Black Hole of Kofu can't outeat, unless maybe you're counting Gilbert Brown. Men travel days just to quiver at the terrible things he can do to a menu. Shopkeepers see him coming down the street and immediately start hand-cranking down the steel shutters.  You look at him, this 23-year-old man, not even filling out his shirt, born without benefit of a butt, his belt notched lightly at the first hole, and immediately you think, Two Happy Meals, he's done.
:shock:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

As a related topic, here is is one of my favorite articles on eating competitions, in this case not a multi-person event like the Nathan's Hot Dog contest but more of a standing challenge.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

How on earth does Sonya Thomas do it? Take a look at those records... 65 hard-boiled eggs in 6 minutes, 40 seconds. Damn.

I'm crushed Cool Hand Luke no longer has meaning for me. Paul Newman must be crushed.

Great story.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

This stuff always simultaneously fascinates and repulses me. One of the people that absolutely fascinates me is Takeru Kobayashi. He is the undisputed master of this "sport" and weighs something like 125 lbs., I think. I remember seeing a food network special on this (surprise?) where he shared his explanation as to why he can beat guys 2 to 3 times his size. As I recall, his theory is that the larger the person, the less space for their stomachs to expand while the opposite is true for the much smaller person. They showed him eating positively inhuman quantities of food and beer while he was in "training." Here then, are words from the Master:

Kobayashi's Words of Wisdom

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

• 2 weeks later...