• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ladies Who Lunch

Carrot Top

I had a Ladies Lunch recently which I was really looking forward to, after all the lovely posts and fine thoughts. Reality did not reach the fantasies, though. The two other ladies wanted to go to Macado's.

I persuaded them to try Thai, an elegant little place, with lovely food. Each one chose the very least expensive, smallest thing on the menu. I think actually, they were fearful or something, for they are not lacking in funds.

The conversation went well enough, through the dull ache in my heart.

It really felt as if something had been done wrong, by their choices of "cheapest and smallest". I simply could not overcome this feeling. :sad:

I don't get it. Going from the idea of Macado's - huge portions of fat dullness, to my mind - to the smallest measly things at this lovely place.

I do not believe they were ladies. An alien spirit must have taken over their bodies. :huh:

I found the perfect spot in Kansas City for the local Ladies Who Lunch. It's located on the top floor of a mansion built in 1885 that's now an antique store. I took my mom there for lunch this week. This place was full of nothing but elegantly dressed women, eating ceasar salads with chicken and shrimp, saving room for classic desserts. (Mom and I broke the mold somewhat by ordering substantial main courses plus appetizers, as we are less concerned with appearances.) It was the kind of dining experience that was appropriately punctuated with overly theatrical superlatives like "That was to DIE for" as we descended the stairs. Fabulous, to say the least.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest