• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anybody know where I can get a good quality Capon in London, something akin to a Chapon de Bresse. Something preferably free range, truly a neutered rooster and not just an oversized chicken and most importantly flavoursome and succulent.

I found this company selling Chapon de Bresse but the telephone number is unobtainable. Du Pain Duvin

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

It's illegal to 'caponise' - castrate - cockerals in this country, but not to import them from France. Also, some butchers will sell very large birds inaccurately described as capons, but they're not the real thing.

Edited by MobyP (log)

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

I had a truffled capon at Christmas last year which I ordered from the Fish shop (next to Kensington Place). It was stellar. French I think.

You could give them a call --

Address: 201 Kensington Church Street, London , W8 7LX

Telephone: 020 7243 6626

Anybody know where I can get a good quality Capon in London, something akin to a Chapon de Bresse. Something preferably free range, truly a neutered rooster and not just an oversized chicken and most importantly flavoursome and succulent.

I found this company selling Chapon de Bresse but the telephone number is unobtainable. Du Pain Duvin

you can't.

I tried unsuccessfully last year, and all that is on offer is big chickens.

I imagine you're looking for something neutered - like moby say :biggrin: - but I don't like your chances

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

We are going shopping at Rungis (Paris)on Sunday so could look out for one there for you- but you would have to freeze it until then, don't think we are doing more than the one trip before xmas!

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

• 4 weeks later...
I had a truffled capon at Christmas last year which I ordered from the Fish shop (next to Kensington Place). It was stellar. French I think.

You could give them a call --

Address: 201 Kensington Church Street, London , W8 7LX

Telephone: 020 7243 6626

I'm picking up a capon from them this afternoon - Thanks Alex.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP