• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jones Sodas

yellow truffle

So there I was making an order for my Blenheim Ginger Ale through Beverages Direct and I ran across the Pimp Juice energy drink. I remember reading about this through the Pimp Juice Thread (I love this community). :raz: Browsing the rest of the energy drinks, I came across Jones' Whoop Ass Energy Drink. This is the first time I had seen this product. No other advertisement elsewhere though (I think), so better get these before they run out.

Jones Whoop Ass

When I went to school in western Mass it was easy to find Jones Soda all over the place. I think the thing that attracted me to those drinks were the bright colors and the clear bottles (yes I am 12) and the interesting photos for labels. Some of them are overly syrupy and artificial tasting but for the most part Jones makes some delicious sodas. Especially their cream soda.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

I wonder what the marketing campaign is? :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

It's truly disgusting. Tastes like ultra-concentrated Sweet tart lemon-lime flavor with some weird Milk of Magnesia style chalkiness added in for body.

phaelon56, thanx for the tasting heads up. I still want to give it a try (just like when you tell a 12 year old, "the stove is hot, don't touch it").

... I think the thing that attracted me to those drinks were the bright colors and the clear bottles (yes I am 12) and the interesting photos for labels. ...

ellencho, for a 12 year old, you have an amazing vocabulary. lol. :laugh:

ellencho, for a 12 year old, you have an amazing vocabulary. lol. 

Why thank you. But if only I could use my vocabulary for good and not evil... :wink:

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

• 7 months later...

the article ...

Jones Soda Company announces today its limited edition holiday pack of five new seasonal flavors which includes: Green Bean Casserole Soda, Mashed Potato & Butter Soda, Fruitcake Soda, Cranberry Soda and Turkey & Gravy Soda.

"Our holiday pack takes the work, worries and cost out of preparing a turkey dinner, so our consumers can spend more time with their loved ones. We even included utensils,"....  "We realized consumers are concerned about the 2,000 calories that each full holiday meal contains. That's why we made our sodas zero calories and zero carbs. Now, you can enjoy all the mashed potatoes and butter without worrying about the carbs."

:sad::shock:

What can I tell you? It really boggles the mind that someone is actually taking the time to think of this stuff ... :rolleyes:

still contemplating the concept of "fruitcake soda" ... :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Wow. Holiday Spice Pepsi sounds downright normal by comparison. Although the Cranberry sounds good.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

There was a blurb about this in the November issue of Bon Appetit magazine.

As it mentions in the article, a portion of the proceeds of these new flavors will be donated to the Toys for Tots campaign. Click Here for their web page with more info. The Holiday 5-pack is a limited edition with serial numbers so they're trying to position it as a collectible.

I just saw the regular sodas for the first time at Target last week. I'll have to look for the Holiday pack now!

edited to add:

This is beginning to sound like an episode of 'The Jetsons'. :blink:

Or something out of "Willy Wonka"!

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Cranberry certainly sounds good...I love cranberry gingerale (especially during the holidays) so that isn't much of a stretch. Fruitcake also might be okay...it's hard to imagine the complex flavors of a good fruitcake being reduced to a liquid fizzy form (successfully), but I'm thinking of a pineapple-cherry concoction with a hint of spice.

The others definitely do not belong in beverage form, though! :unsure:

And they are sugar free too? I am _so_ going to pick up a pack of these. Heck, I might have to swing by Target after school today to see if they have them...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

They had the turkey and gravy soda last year, I think, and ran out because they didn't expect it to be as popular as it turned out to be!

Yep, this is the second go-round for turkey/gravy soda. I think the fruitcake and cranberry are new this year. The mashed potatoes beverage (amazing that I should even be typing such a thing!) was out last year too, I believe.

I'm of two minds about this, of course. I'd try it just to say "been there, done that," but... blergh.

:shock::wacko: If I do manage to try it, I will report back. Possibly.

"My tongue is smiling." - Abigail Trillin

Ruth Shulman

They just had the info. about this on my local news broadcast this morning. I cannot FATHOM liquid mashed taters. The mouthfeel of your dinner is more than half the pleasure. And if you mix your flavors, whatcha gonna do? Pour turkey and gravy, taters, and cranberry all together? :shock:

I am actually a fan of the Jones Soda Company and their flavors have been pretty refreshing and just different enough for them to create a significant market share. I think these holiday sodas help their pubicity tremendously and reinforce their market brand. That being said, I can't imagine imbuing any of them any time soon.

William McKinney aka "wcmckinney"

Wow. Holiday Spice Pepsi sounds downright normal by comparison. Although the Cranberry sounds good.

I was about to pick up a bottle of Holiday Spice Pepsi last night when I was warned off. Apparently it's pretty nasty tasting.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Argh, foiled again. My local target did not stock any of the Holiday Sodas. I am not sure if they will be getting the Jones in later, or if they will just not be stocking them, I will have to check it out later.

Definately count on a detailed account of how these things taste if I can get my grubby little paws on a set though.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I was about to pick up a bottle of Holiday Spice Pepsi last night when I was warned off. Apparently it's pretty nasty tasting.

No, the Holiday Spice Pepsi actually is good. However, I just looked at my 2 Liter bottle and I didnt see a Hechsher of any kind, so at least as far as you are concerned, the point is moot.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host