• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truffle butter!

Jesse A

My local fancy food market makes black truffle butter this time of year. They run about $5 for a 4 oz. tub -- pretty reasonable, but not cheap. So, for someone on a budget who can't buy $20/lb butter all the time, how can I best make use of a bit of this butter?

I was thinking either scramled eggs or fresh pasta. But I have no more specific thoughts than that. Should I cook with the butter, or toss it with the finished dish? How should I use it to best appreciate the musky, truffley goodness?

Make a truffle butter sauce with it to serve on ravioli, halibut, maybe scallops or other shellfish... A little truffle butter goes a long way, you can use mostly regular butter mixed with a couple of tablespoons of truffle butter.

Simmer 1/3 cup rice vinegar and 1/8 cup white wine and reduce until it forms a light syrup. Reduce heat to low (do not boil) and whisk in 1/3 cup chilled butter, one piece at a time (this is where you can add a bit of truffle butter). Add a bit of truffle oil if you have it, some salt and lemon juice.

This will be sweet, seriously.

I use a lot of truffle butter and find that if you're trying to economize it, you're best off using it to finish dishes. If you really want to feature the truffle aspect of the butter, serve it with simple dishes, like the eggs you mentioned, melted on a nice steak, or tossed with a simple fall-inspired pasta.

I love truffle butter.

I usually toss haricot verts with some good butter, truffle oil, and salt, so the truffle butter would work for that. I paired the haricot verts with lobster, which also would be nice with the truffle butter.

Edited by mikeycook (log)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point