• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

the normandy

vandan

CKNW reports that the kitchen suffered serious damage.  Apparently the Normandy was suppsoed to close Jan. 9/

http://www.cknw.com/news/news_local.cfm?ca...=news_local.cfm

i am devastated by this news as will be many other senior citizens in the neighbourhood. I had planned one last hot lunch there next month--no more.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Damn! that's a shame. Luckily enough I had taken my girlfriend out there Sunday morning for brunch. Ah well, at least we can say we ate at that institution. Guess it's off to Denny's, Seb's, or the Crepe Cafe for Sunday morning fixings. Or 'breakfast' dinners too...

<snif>

:sad: My husband and I just walked by there on Friday and remembered how he used to hide there while I went book browsing.

How sad that they had to go this way.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

The Sun is reporting this morning that the owner of the Normandy plans to re-open and that the lease is not up another three years.  That would be great news the place is an institution.  Here's the link (subscribers only)

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/vancouvers...1a-c1a56ab27543

Woo hoo!

I hope he can source the same kind of diner furniture- part of its charm.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Not to pooh-pooh on the phoenix meme, but when that lease is up on Granville Rise (they have a newish landlord), anyone think it won't go up astronomically? :sad: I'm not saying the fat lady has sung, but she's definitely in the room (perhaps busily chowing down on a schnitzel).

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

i remember well the trifecta of budget but characterful dining on South Granville: The Aristocratic (now Chapters), The Normandy, and the inimitable Szasz's, now West.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

The best blueberry muffins in the world were from Szasz's. And I have fond memories of getting off a stretch of nights in the ER and all of us heading over to the Normandy for breakfast. If you had enough of their coffee you could stay up all day and feel great. Of course I was a lot younger in those days - so it might not have been the coffee. :biggrin:

Cheers,

Karole