• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Day Food Trips

helenas

My husband just moved to Marlborough so now i come to visit the area on weekends.

This board is very useful - i already created a list of butchers to check :smile:

I would like to get suggestions on day food trips in NE - we were planning to go for a weekend to Maine but when i checked Holly Moore's site but it looks like most of the interesting places are closed for the season.

My husband just moved to Marlborough so now i come to visit the area on weekends.

This board is very useful - i already created a list of butchers to check  :smile:

I would like to get suggestions on day food trips in NE - we were planning to go for a weekend to Maine but when i checked Holly Moore's site but it looks like most of the interesting places are closed for the season.

Hi and welcome to the area!

Coastal areas in Maine, Mass and RI are very seasonally based.. believe me sitting at a lobster shack in December, January and Feburuary is not ususally a pleasant expience!

"regular" restaurants and venues are better about winter hours... the past conversations and threads in the forum would be a great place to start your research...

are there specific areas you are looking at traveling to?

Cheers

Karen

All that is needed for evil to survive is for good people to do nothing

are there specific areas you are looking at traveling to?

Not necessarily: whatever interesting is reachable within 2-3 hours drive - we can stay overnight in some hotel if needed.

Are you interested in restaurants only, or do you like unusual ethnic markets, etc?

Now that the cold weather is finally kicking in, you might want to try some of the ski areas to the north. They usually have good places to eat. There is a wonderful B&B in Crawford Notch, New Hampshire called the Notchland Inn. They have a great made-to-order breakfast and they serve a 5-course gourmet dinner. Rooms have jacuzzis and fireplaces...here's their website: http://www.notchland.com/