• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beer for Thanksgiving

Susan in FL

Surely lots of people will be drinking beer while they watch football. Will you also be serving beer with dinner? Any plans for something special? Maybe a homebrew that you have been saving for the day? What are some of your favorite beer & Thanksgiving-food pairings?

What comes to mind first for me is oysters and stout. However, we don't have anything specific planned yet. It will depend on where we do beer shopping and what's availble. Plus, I don't even have my food menu fully planned yet. Maybe some of you are far ahead of me.

In advance, Happy Thanksgiving to All!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I'm not sure yet. Food plans are for a traditional gruyere and emmental fondue as the main dish (Turkey day for two), so I'm not sure what beer we ought to drink with that.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Pre dinner I'll start with a Capitol City "Autumnal Fire"(Madison, WI.) because it's the best beer I've had all Fall and I'm drinking it until I run out of it.

I'll probably finish with a pumpkin beer(Thanksgiving and all), I tasted a good one the other day from somewhere in Missouri, but I have forgotten the name. I'll have to make another trip to my local liquor store whre I tasted it and check with the "beer guy".

As the evening sets in and I lay back I'm sure I'll wind down the day with one of the Bell's Stouts.

Happy eating and drinking this Holiday Season!

"the only thing we knew for sure about henry porter was that his name wasn't henry porter" : bob

I like to start dinner with a light, fizzy aperitif, like Yards Saison or Saison Dupont (for those outside of Philly). With dinner, Flying Fish ESB, or a similar British ESB, like Fuller's, would be a great complement to the bird and side dishes. For dessert, blue label Chimay, or better yet, Ommegang brown ale go really well with pumpkin, apple, rhubarb or similar turkey Day pies.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I like to start dinner with a light, fizzy aperitif, like Yards Saison or Saison Dupont (for those outside of Philly).  With dinner, Flying Fish ESB, or a similar British ESB, like Fuller's, would be a great complement to the bird and side dishes.  For dessert, blue label Chimay, or better yet, Ommegang brown ale go really well with pumpkin, apple, rhubarb or similar turkey Day pies.

ESB and Chimay...now we're talkin'!

Leave the gun, take the canoli

I'm being pulled in two different directions--I still have some Oktoberfests around, and I just got some holiday beers (Weyerbacher Winter Ale and Troegs Mad Elf). I might have to have a little "what goes with turkey?" tasting. :biggrin:

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.