• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salon Du Chocolat at Marché Bonsecours

My better half dropped by on Saturday, she was a bit underwhelmed, considering the $ 10.00 entrance fee. But it was extremely busy...they promised a lot of tasting opportunities, but it seemed that most kiosques were only selling ...

A few of the "big" names were also missing ( Chocolat de Chloé, Maison Kakao)

So she said...

Michel

Yeah, strange that there were no chocolate companies. But a couple of the shops had some nice items going. And a few were a disgrace. And the showpieces were sad. There were more samples than at first glance, you just had to ask (I figured this out when I saw others doing it...). At least Morel was there. It was pretty busy, that's for sure!

Paul

yep, it was kind of a let down, esp. with the ten dollars entrance fee. it was like spending 10 dollars to pay to get into a chocolate shopping mall. my sugar-pie bought some chocolates from various kiosques, and for the most part, i wasn't overly impressed. she did, however, get a taste of patrice's demo choco-buiscuit cranberry item, after which she told me "you HAVE to make this."

patrice is sure to please! but apart from that, too crowded, and not enough samples.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

We also went on sunday. Two long lines were formed outside but the wait wasn't too bad. I also think that the value wasn't that great for the 10 dollars we forked out.

Some were unimpressive and others were nice. I liked the 80% that the guy from Dorval does. It's smooth and rich without being too "roasted". Good chocolate.

The funny story now. We're at the kiosk of the store that's on Laurier neart St-Hubert (forgot the name) and there's this older lady who sees the tasting bowl of Valrhona. She grabs a handful and says: "My hubby loves this one". She comes back seconds later for a bigger helping stating: "This one's good for your health. I looked at the girl who tended the kiosk and we burst out laughing. Some people just don't know how to behave I guess...

can i make a complain?

why is it nobody post the event before it starts? it seems that i miss all the good events :sad:

i love chocolate

10 buck is not a lot of a taste of many chocos

campo that is a great story remind me of the one with the peanuts from the marche jean talon. we have many funny people here in quebec

can i make a complain?

why is it nobody post the event before it starts? it seems that i miss all the good events :sad:

i love chocolate

10 buck is not a lot of a taste of many chocos

campo that is a great story remind me of the one with the peanuts from the marche jean talon. we have many funny people here in quebec

We usally call these people colon if you get my french.

It was 10$ to enter but after you had to pay to taste chocolates.

Anyway, you didn't miss anything because it was not serious, full of kids trying to get chocolates every where, I was just freaking out.

Sorry but for me only Gendron is worth it and he was not there anyway.

I don't really care about GG, her ganache is always too liquid and way too sweet.

Gendron roquefort chocolates are just fantastic!

Anyway, you didn't miss anything because it was not serious, full of kids trying to get chocolates every where, I was just freaking out.

... That's kind of funny actually, I love seeing adult have kid freak outs, but I don't see how that is entirely bad for kids to want more than brown parafine... In ten years, they'll be trying to get in (your) bars and clubs :cool:

Kids and good food is an important thing.

Edited by identifiler (log)