• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Abra - Walla Walla Wash and Orcas Island too!

Abra

This is the beautiful view from the Anacortes ferry terminal, gateway to the San Juan Islands. That's Mt. Baker in the background.

gallery_16307_2082_115014.jpg

This is the ferry we'll get on. As you can see, it's a lot smaller, maybe only a third the size. You're looking right through it, because it's double ended. You drive on one end and off the other. This ferry stops at Lopez and Shaw Islands on the way to Orcas, so it takes about 80 minutes.

gallery_16307_2082_19316.jpg

The whole ferry system is in a food mess. There were contract issues with the ferry food workers a year or so ago, and so we all went for almost a year without the wine, beer, espresso, popcorn, burgers, pre-made sandwiches, breakfast foods, and clam chowder that ferry riders just don't want to do without. Recently the galley service has been restored on the bigger runs, like Bainbridge, but out here there's still no food on the ferries except vending machines. So this little counter, whose slogan is "Home of the Wedgie" does a brisk business before each sailing.

gallery_16307_2082_7755.jpg

As long as it's taking me to process and upload these pictures, we're definitely not gonna make it to Orcas in the 8 minutes remaining for this connection, before the island's only Internet cafe closes, so I'll just give you one more teaser shot. And then, you're going to have to spend the night adrift in the San Juans. There could be worse things!

gallery_16307_2082_60686.jpg

Here, doesn't this look like a great place to spend the night? Just imagine you're anchored out, it's chilly, the water is almost still, and you have a bottle of great wine out on the deck, while someone you love is cooking something fantastic just for you. Good night.

What a send off for the evening. Truly a wonderful time for all of us on EG! Wow.

Truffled turkey, I have to try that.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Abra:

Many thanks for sharing your part of the world, your job, your life, your family and pets with us. It's really been a joy. :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Abra: A little OT, but I had an Irish Setter who not only crossed his paws, but did so while laying with his hind legs (with no modesty) splayed out behind.... quite a sight!

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

Abra, I'm late to read your blog, but I just want to say that the recipes and photos are incredible, Riley is adorable, and your culinary assignments are very courageous. You are also making me deeply homesick and I am looking forward to two more days of eye candy. (I am from Washington, and my son was born on Orcas Island, where I lived for several years.) I can't wait for the rest!

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Wow, connectivity is really a hassle here! I always dream of living on Orcas, but it sure would be at the cost of my cyber-life. In any case, the library has a wireless network, and I do have some more photos for you. I know I'm a bit over my time here, but I'm hoping that one last installment will be welcome. Here I go to upload some Orcas shots - for you, RebelRose.

Such a gracious blogger you are! Thank you in advance for yet another round of great photos! This has been one of the funnest foodblogs, and that's saying a lot!

Michael aka "Pan"

Good morning!

This is what I saw when I awoke this morning. The fog has settled down around the island, warming it up, and softening all the edges.

gallery_16307_212_68855.jpg

In all honesty, I almost didn't post my breakfast picture. But that would be silly.

gallery_16307_212_60015.jpg

Why does it look like I eat pizza for breakfast all the time? I guess it's because there's not one decent pizza place on Bainbridge, so whenever we're out of town, we get mad pizza cravings. It's embarrassing to admit to two pizza breakfasts in a week, but hey, I know you understand.

Shel, always in need of a good cup of coffee, made sure to bring his moka pot and milk steamer along for the trip.

gallery_16307_212_58617.jpg

But before I forget, I still want to show you a few shots from our trip up yesterday.

gallery_16307_212_38232.jpg

The light was beautiful all the way up.

gallery_16307_212_42919.jpg

I'm out on the ferry deck all alone as we approach Orcas.

gallery_16307_212_21500.jpg

When we arrive, night is falling and the gulls are waiting to welcome us.

gallery_16307_212_51100.jpg

Orcas has lots of open valleys and little farmhouses.

gallery_16307_212_9233.jpg

and not much in the way of public access beaches. Don't you want to jump in this kayak?

gallery_16307_212_13426.jpg

I think it's a really special place. How could you not love an island where you can see these signs?

gallery_16307_212_37347.jpg

gallery_16307_212_47623.jpg

And now, here I am, wrapping up my last installment, sitting by the window in the public library. Here's my view right now

gallery_16307_212_53882.jpg

Coming to the library, we saw that the sheep were grazing peacefully, all unaware of my plans for lamb for dinner tomorrow. Too bad they were all walking when I took their picture, blurring and fuzzing all out of focus.. Come to think of it, they were walking away from me. Maybe they know more than I thought.

I'm sorry you won't be with us for the dinner that so many of you have helped to plan. Just imagine me cooking here in this beautiful kitchen

gallery_16307_212_57328.jpg

Here, have a seat at the dining table and join us. Dinner's almost ready.

gallery_16307_212_20552.jpg

And lets all thank my husband Shel, who has washed every dish this blog generated, made it possible for me to post from land and sea, took a few of these pictures himself, and forgives me for being more devoted to you all than to him for the past week. It's been a blast!

What a beautiful home, Abra - and a gorgeous setting. Thanks so much for inviting us all into your life this week!!!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Wow, everything is so beautiful. It reminds me of the island we go to in Maine (where the only internet service is at the little library and therre are only 2 phones for the whole place). And what a great kitchen!

Thank you for sharing, all the work you put into this has made it a rewarding experience for all us who get a peak into your lovely life.

Abra,

Such a splendid job you did this week-just like you tackle everything we have ever seen you do. We are sure you and Shel enjoyed it as much as the rest of us did.

Al and I would like to see the pictures of your dinner you cook on Sunday as I'm sure the rest of "your followers" would also like. We'll wait while Soba finds a way for this to happen as the event planning 'happened' within your blog time.

You are one amazing lady!!!!

Kay

I had a leg crossing dog myself. He was a large male irish setter, who not only crossed his front paws, but laid with back legs splayed out flat. My brother and I used to tease him about his sexual orientation ( not very PC, I know!)

Clancy was a trooper. He was only five when he was hit by a car. My parents paid for multiple surgeries until it was clear that he was suffering at the expense of our need. We did the right thing and had him put out of his pain.

Love your dog, and cherish every day you have with him.

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

Thank you Abra, and Shel, for this wonderful blog. Blogging is hard work but you did it with grace, generosity and a great sense of humour! Thanks for taking us on wonderful trips (making me even more determined to visit your state next year) and ofcourse, especially, for the lovely food.

I'm sure you can find a way to share your Orcas dinner with us, somewhere on EGullet... I would love to see how it turns out.

Edited by Chufi (log)

Abra,

You have been a wonderful ambassador, presenting your area in such a way that I now wish to visit! Thank you so much for the wonderful food and scenery. I sensed a different pace of life in your corner of the world... I was also amazed by your spontaneity and sense of adventure with food, oh wow!!! :biggrin:

Safran