• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where are the interesting openings in London

Didn't we used to have a thread about the death of London dining? I'm racking my brains trying to think of some places I want to eat at that I haven't been to already. Nothing. Zilch. I can't think of a single opening in the last few months that really appeals to me. Dire. :sad:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

I had a nice dinner at Dine recently. For 5o pounds that meal was a good value for what one usually gets in London.

It's in such a weird City location though. One Friday night we tried to get a reservation and they were completely booked, while the next Friday we showed up and the place was less than half empty.

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

Had a nice meal at the Greenhouse too, but that's not new is it?  Or perhaps the new-ish chef would count?

Not new enough, had a great meal last christmas and is on my list of places to revisit but I want something completely new.

Addendum sounds like it might fit the bill and has reminded me to try and visit Bond's.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Instead of yearning for new places promoting the culinary avant garde, wouldn't it be better for the London dining scene to celebrate those places which are trying to do the average very well? I would rather visit a dozen Galvins than one GR @HR, but that is just me. I think that in order for London to truly be a great food city, the quality of the everyday everyman's restaurant (and I do realize that Galvin is not your everman's restaurant) needs to improve.

I am looking forward to Tom Ilic's new place Addendum oepning any day now on Seething Lane EC3.

Me too, the launch party is on 30 November.

Apparently, Addendum 'softly' opened on Monday. Split into a brasserie and more formal dining area, teh brasserie is open for lunch Mon-Fri and the restaurant lunch and dinner.

Next Wednesday, 30th November, is just press night. I cannot make it for a couple of weeks but will let you know my thoughts.

Addendum

Apex Hotel

1 Seething Lane

EC3N 4AX

Reservations: 020 7977 9500

Next Wednesday, 30th November, is just press night.

Just the press night...just! My god, don't you know how important it is to have a bunch of freeloaders swilling champagne and shouting at each other in your restaurant? I'll be reporting back from this major event of course...if I can remember it.

Happy to see my original thread is still relevant...or should I say NOT happy. Especially as I am trying to plan my Christmas lunch out and things don't seemed to have changed much since my last moan..other than the Greenhouse which I liked a lot and Maze which seems to have conflicting reports although I like the concept.

Anyone been to the recently reopened Pied a Terre?

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

I haven't been to Pied a Terre but if your interested I had a wonderful lunch of scallops and chicken wings, then pheasant pudding and knickerbocker glory to finish at The Belvedere recently. Billy Reid is not a whizz-bang-check-out-the-foam-on-that sort of cook, he's just really bloody good. The room is gorgeous and they've even got one of the senior staff from the old La Tante Claire on the floor. Magical.

Next Wednesday, 30th November, is just press night.

Just the press night...just! My god, don't you know how important it is to have a bunch of freeloaders swilling champagne and shouting at each other in your restaurant? I'll be reporting back from this major event of course...if I can remember it.

It was a pretty low key affair in the end, despite the vodka luge, DJ and reiki treatments. It was also very easy to find - cross London Bridge and turn right at Monument. The restaurant is very handsome indeed. It has that masculine feel essential to all city restaurants - investment bankers can have lunch with each other without feeling gay about it. But its also intimate enough for a more romantic occassion. The menu reads well. I was particularly taken with the idea of squab pigeon pithivier, light creme lentils & sauteed ceps as a shared starter for two people. Chef Tom Ilic (pronounced ill-itch) has revived braised pig's cheeks & chorizo, garlic & parsley mash which was something of a signature when he was at Bonds restaurant just down the road. Full menu and a picture of the restaurant can be found here.

I'm looking forward to returning for a lunch sometime soon.

Only some savoury and sweet canapes which were OK but no basis at all to judge the kitchen on. The room was not that packed but nevertheless there was a fair amount of glass smashing and spoon dropping going on by the staff. At one point I was showered in champagne by a bar person opening a bottle from behind the bar, so I think the service could probably do with some tightening up!

No, Bonds is part of the Eton collection (which includes Quebecs in Leeds) and Apex is a family business which until now has been based solely in Scotland with hotels in Edinburgh and Dundee. Having seen the rooms and restaurants at both, they do share some similarities although of course they would each say they are completely unique!