• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

10 days of NYC dining experiences!

dukeofurl

Chinese: We visit about a dozen places, none of which I remember the names for.

We do dim sum, seafood, you name it and we've ordered it. None are particularly mentionable. I am unable to find a hoisin mein that's worth it anywhere in the chinatown or brooklyn area. I've lost faith in New York's chinatown.

Visited Original Pizza #5 in Forest Hills over in Queens. The pizza was not bad, but the crust was a tad too thin for my tastes. I'm not a fan of the chewy crust, but it was satisfactory.

I had lunch is at Rockefeller Center's Rock Center Cafe with some family and it was TERRIBLE. We got the table next to the door to the ice rink and it was cold and drafty. My filet was ordered a medium rare and wound up horribly overcooked to a medium well. The dessert coffee was bitter and stale. Not suprising in the least at $50 a head.

Later that day we go uptown to a place over on 90th and Broadway called Carmines. The first good sign was that my cousin Joanne's fiancé was already at the bar. I like the way he thinks. There's a great old world atmosphere, nice bar, and we have a huge meal. Our table for 14 eats one plate of calamari, salad, rigatoni, clams, prime rib and potatoes, chicken marsala, bow tie pasta with a tiramisu for dessert while downing 2 bottles of vino in the process. Portions are elephantine and the only thing wrong was the bowtie pasta was a tad raw. Besides that, everything was great and we had a wonderful time. I highly reccomend the place.

I ask about the Bourbon list and Knob Creek has made the cut. I order it over rocks. The waitress informs me a LIQUOR STRIKE has greater NYC metro in its fat union grip and they are out. I curse the union as I sip on ice water and embrace my bourbon snobbery.

Carnegie Deli: The man who said getting there is half the battle wasn't kidding. Had a hell of a time getting uptown and their pastrami/corned beef was par. Nothing spectacular, but it was ok. I was still hungry so I went downstairs to 8th and 36th Street to find a Grays Papaya around the block.

Grays Papaya: I've never been and decide to take the plunge. I order a recession special with an orange drink. The drink is not bad, the dogs are crispy and have a bite to it. Mine are slathered in sauerkraut and I have a nice little meal. Not the best hot dog ever, I personally prefer Boars Head - but its a neat snack. The Recession Special is up to $2.75 now, which makes me sad. Anyone know if the price changes at other locations?

Lombardi's Pizza:

Here's a story that you won't believe, but I'll tell anyways. We visit some old friends around Mott street and mom and dad witness a line of biblical (exodus to mott street?) proportions. I wonder if the pizza is really *THAT* good to justify a line in the middle of the afternoon that warrants NYPD crowd control barriers, as I discover today is 5 cent pie day.

Our friends around the corner ask if we want a pizza. I say sure, and he uses his key to get in the back door and we walk right into the kitchen. We get the grand tour and see the entire coal fired oven from the kitchen side and the boss asks if we want a pie. He pulls a peperoni right off the line and boxes it up for us.

Here's some pictures.

http://img456.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dcp10724mk.jpg

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/8265/dcp10715xl.jpg

http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/6607/dcp10680dz.jpg

Shake Shack:

On a whim, I decide to head over to Madison Square Park to the Shake Shack and get some cheeseburgers. Not a bad burger and it takes us 30 minutes to get the burgers from 23rd and Madison back uptown to the office. I must say that Danny Meyer has a nice outfit that beats the hell out of BK/Mickey D's. The fries are pretty good, I've been a fan of the crinkle cut and I like them crispy. My brother does the taxi and chicago dog - he isn't a fan of the chicago.

Les Halles:

Unable to get reservations at Lugers, my future attorney takes us to Les Halles and we order Sirloins and Ribeyes. Each are accompanied with some good fries - they are straight and crispy and I think they're on par with Shake Shack but my brother says they are better. The beef is good, and the little side of salad and bernaise is a treat. I enjoyed it, although table space was very tight and elbow room was at a premium.

That was it for NYC! One week just isnt enough

I emailed Rock Center with our experience and they shot this back:

Thank you for your recent email.

I apologize for your recent dining experience at Rock Center Cafe. We pride ourselves on giving the best service to our guests, and unfortunately, we fell short of both your and our expectations.

From your email, I understand approximately where you and your guests were seated, and it can be breezy at times when we seat guests outside. When you asked to be moved to another location out of the breezy path, your server should have contacted a manager and your party moved. Our service staff has been counseled on how it should have been handled as to prevent this from recurring.

Our chef and ktchen staff take pride in their preparation of the dishes they serve and appreciate your comments Measures have been taken to correct the inconsistencies.

Please accept my invitation to join us on your next trip to New York. I would like to show you how true hospitality should be at Rock Center Cafe. Please feel free to call me directly to make your reservations at 212-332-7620.

Again, thank you for your comments.

Happy holidays,

Steve Low, Director

Rock Center Cafe

212-332-7620

------------------

So what does this mean? I book another table, spend $200 and maybe I won't get bitter coffee and a draft?

Duke,

You definately got something.. In addition to getting shitty meal this place normally serves you, you got a draft too.. Honestly, cut your loses and learn from it.. You ate in Rock Center and expected a good meal??? Come on.. In addition to major landmarcs, dont eat near or in bus,train,airports, or bus stations.. Dont eat at the restaurants on broadway outside your show.. I, as a local get obnoxious free bottle of wine offerings if I order two entrees from that place.. Please its a tourist trap through and through.. CUt your losses and I hope your pictures came out well..