• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Australian dining and food in the media

Hi!

Is there any good websites that are specific to Australia and food oriented? I'm looking for things that are like epicurious.com where there are recipes and reviews by readers (though reviews aren't crucial) or sites like foodtv.com/foodtv.ca for recipe searches. Other food sites that are really australian oriented would also be great to know about!

Cheers.

This is currently my fave Australian food site. The TV program is excellent. You'll see a lot more than Australian food, it's really more about finding great food and food producers around Australia no matter ethnicity.

Food Lover's Guide to Australia

And this is my fave New Zealand website which is from Cuisine magazine; a terrific mag.

Cuisine Magazine

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Allyson Gofton NZ

Maori and NZ recipes NZ. This one plays Pokarekare-ana...

Cuisine Magazine NZ

Peta Matthias (NZ)

Australian food magazines check the international options for international shipping, ho ho ho.

NZ food magazines but you have to look a bit harder to find them on this page

Add more sites please!

Updated links: 2008

Don't know anything about this guy, but he looks to be heavily into Australiana. Don't just look at the recipes though, there's other interesting stuff on the site.

Benjamin Christie site

Dining Downunder site

a show involving Ben Christie and other chefs trundling round Australia cooking up this and that.

Foodlovers site This NZ site is run by Helen Jackson. Quite an extensive site with forum, recipe competitions etc.

Could somebody on the spot point us expats and interested furriners to other interesting sites please?

helen, for the locals, we're very very city centric. for instance, here in melbourne, The Age newspaper's epicure section on Tuesdays is highly regarded, which is the general concensus, not necessarily the view of this author.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Try de Groots Best Restaurants of Australia is a great resource for Australian restaurants, has a great list of Sydney Restaurants.

As well as this they have a great selection restaurant gift certificates available.

Cheers

Benjamin

The Mietta's site still has good brief listings for restaurants, bakeries, and more.

For traveling foodies looking for good eats, my suggestion is to consider ordering the SMH or Age Good Food Guide for Sydney or Melbourne respectively, or pick one up at a bookshop once you're in town. Best bet is to order from Dymocks.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick run down from today's Epicure......

Restaurant of the Year: Taxi

Country Restaurant of the Year: Healesville Hotel

Best New Restaurant: No award given

Chef of the Year: Michael Darmanin (Cafe Di Stasio)

Young Chef of the Year: Tim Saffery (Court House Hotel)

Wine List of the Year: Langton's

Outstanding Achivement Award: Jonathan Gianfreda

Service Excellence Award: Chris Crawford (Circa, The Prince)

Professional Excellence Award: Robert Castellani (Donovan's)

3 hats: Circa The Prince, Flower Drum, Pearl, Vue de Monde

2 hats: Becco, Botanical, Cafe di Stasio, Cecconi's, Donovans, Ezard at Adelphi, Grossi Florentino, Interlude, Jacques Reymond, radii, Red Emperor, Taxi Dining Room

Edited by Shinboners (log)
Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

• 3 weeks later...
THEY'RE not trying quite so hard in Sydney's most admired kitchens these days. Having elevated their city into the ranks of the world's great eating towns, right up there with New York and Paris and London, chefs here have begun to focus on making the most of the magnificent raw materials at their disposal rather than emphasizing the razzle-dazzle of old.

NYT

PS: I am a guy.

• 1 month later...

There is a thread in the Food News & Media forum concerning an article published in LA about the scene in Sydney.

Might be interesting reading for some, or even better, a decent discussion.

Head over here to join in.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm a New Zealand food writer currently living in Melbourne, Australia cooking and eating local produce. I write for three New Zealand newspapers and recently launched my own website. It has a search facility on it if anyone is looking for something specific. Or you can email me from my website. There's also a links page.

Blog: http://cookingdownunder.com/blog

Twitter: @patinoz

The floggings will continue until morale improves

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...