• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yukon Gold Potatoes

IrishCream

I usually make mashed potatoes from russets but I've been seeing lots of good press and recipes using Yukon Golds. So tonight I tried them...oh my! The potatoes looked perfectly unblemished on the outside but as soon as I started peeling them I discovered they all had strange purplish dark spots inside. Quite odd. I removed the spots as best I could. Then, despite the fact I cut them into very large chunks, they fell apart after only 12 minutes of simmering. I had the timer set for 15 but luckily I checked. I was stunned.

So are Yukon Golds that different? Did I get a bad batch? What are your experiences?

Lobster.

The spots don't sound normal; it sounds like they must have been a bit old or were exposed to too much light. I use Yukon Golds often for good mashed potatoes. I cook them in their jackets and make sure to just cook them until they are just finished. I usually make sure the potatoes are about the same size as well to ensure that they are finished at about the same time. (Else I'll check the smaller ones first and remove them as they are done.) Peel them while they're hot, send through a potato ricer and add in salt, butter, whole milk and maybe some half and half.

Perhaps cooking them with the skins on yields a less narrow time window for overcooking them such that they fall apart. Perhaps they get more waterlogged being boiled after they are peeled. (I've never made them this way with any potato.)

I think Yukon Golds are a bit less starchy than russets so that may be why your method worked with russets but not with the Yukon Golds.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Sounds like you had a bad batch; probably they had been stored improperly.

Cook them like red ("new") potatoes in their jackets just until tender (test with a toothpick or knifetip, then peel if desired and mash. They have a naturally buttery flavor so don't require much in the way of seasoning; they're divine, though with garlic and/or goat cheese.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Sounds like you had a bad batch. I've never had spots in Yukons. I haven't noticed thay they fall apart that quickly either, but I think I get them very fresh. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

In any case, here's something else to try: like Ludja, I usually boil my potatoes whole, but if I want the quicker cooking time that comes from peeling and cutting potatoes, I find that steaming keeps them from getting waterlogged. This also works particularly well for root vegetables such as turnips and rutabaga.

Thanks for the replies! What surprises me is you all cook your potatoes unpeeled. The only time I do that is with white (New Rose) potatoes for potato salad. I've always pre-peeled mashers. For me mashed potatoes are last minute hassle enough even though I love them. And doesn't having to peel them make them cool down a bit much to melt the butter, etc?

Lobster.

Thanks for the replies!  What surprises me is you all cook your potatoes unpeeled. The only time I do that is with white (New Rose) potatoes for potato salad.  I've always pre-peeled mashers.  For me mashed potatoes are last minute hassle enough even though I love them.  And doesn't having to peel them make them cool down a bit much to melt the butter, etc?

Not really. The skins slip off easily after they're cooked (except for russet potatoes).

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Thanks for the replies!  What surprises me is you all cook your potatoes unpeeled. The only time I do that is with white (New Rose) potatoes for potato salad.  I've always pre-peeled mashers.  For me mashed potatoes are last minute hassle enough even though I love them.  And doesn't having to peel them make them cool down a bit much to melt the butter, etc?

As SuziSushi mentione the skins comes off rather easily when they are hot. They are still plenty hot enough to melt butter, etc. They keep fine on top of a double boiler. For Thanksgiving, when my double boiler is not large enough, I make them right before people come, then turn off the heat. I re-heat them by adding in a little more milk and mixing well.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I also do it similar to the way you do it.

Peeled for hot (unless I'm serving w/the skins).

Unpeeled for cold (like potato salad).

You must have gotten a bad batch of Yukon gold. I use them all the time for mashed and have not had a problem. Sometimes regardless of the potato type I do get a few "clunkers" but never the whole bag. Watch the next bag I buy will prove me wrong :) .

I've never seen purple spots; but, I have had them turn to mush and still not be all the way cooked a few times. As far as I can figure out, it has something to do with either the season, the age of the potatoes, or a combination of both.

As others have said above, it seems to work best to boil them whole in their skins. Steaming might also not be a bad idea; but, will give you a denser mash.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I always peel them first with no issues. I don't care for fishing skins off of hot potatoes personally, I'd rather peel them before cooking. I have not had this sort of problem with Yukons but I agree it sounds like a storage/age issue more than anything else.

I worked at one place where all the mashers were Yukon Gold and they never had any problems with them. They also peeled before cooking. But this place went through about 50lbs a day, so of course they were always fresh.

Potatoes boiled with skins on and then peeled before mashing have more flavor than those that are peeled first. I didn't believe it until I tried it, but it's true. I don't think it takes more time at all! Maybe less, because as mentioned above, they just slip off.....much easier than peeling!

And I too think that you got a bad batch. My yukon golds from the farm box have never had spots.

Erin Andersen