• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

40 Sardines Restaurant (KC)

JWest

You know I gotta to ask - what flavor ice cream did the li'l man have?

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

A ridiculously rich vanilla, with some creme anglaise for good, goopy, bliss him out measure.

This was after the server kindly informed me the 'trio of ice creams' tonight is all Boulevard beer based and...well. The kiddo might not appreciate a stout ice cream (I sure as heck would have)

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

• 1 month later...

I recently attended the "Happy in the Kitchen" Michel Richard dinner at 40 Sardines. I'll give you the short here, but you can read a fuller report on my blog.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the dinner, it was hosted at 40 Sardines by Rainy Day Books to promote Michel Richard's (of Citronelle Restaurant in D.C.) new cookbook, "Happy in the Kitchen." Chef Richard was there to sign books (a signed copy was included in the price of the dinner, which was $125) and to explain each course - all of which were selected from the cookbook.

Ray Coursen from Elyse Winery was also present to talk about each of the wine pairings.

Here is the menu from that dinner:

Aperitif

Elyse Winery Rosé

First Course

“Low Carb-O-Nara”

Elyse “Le Corbeau”

Second Course

“Scrambled Scallops”

Elyse “L’Ingenue”

Third Course

“Duck Duck Beet”

2003 Elyse “Tietjen Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon”

Dessert

“Le Kit Cat”

2004 Elyse “Morosoli Vineyard Red Zinfindel”

For the most part, the dinner was a success. My favorite course was, by far, the "Le Kit Cat" dessert course, which I have made at hope a couple times since. I also very much enjoyed the "Duck Duck Beet." Interestingly, those are also the two courses where I noted the wine pairings, which I thought succeeded wonderfully.

If any other eGulleters were at this event, please do jump in. Hint, hint.... wench?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

What? What! Why are you looking at me like that?!

If there was one big weakness to the dinner, it's that the courses were individual dishes, and not plates. This was fine for courses like the scrambled scallop and dessert, but the 'lo-carb-onara' was done no favors by sitting there as a big, sad, lump. People. Garnish or something. Similarly, the duck course was...a whole honking (quacking?) lot of duck- I am not complaining about that, naturally, but as a course, the Duck Duck And Nothing But Duck probably did not do it full justice. Something...green....would have been nice. But these were dishes from the cookbook, not courses and so it was A Single Recipe per course.

That said. It was a damn fine meal.

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

What?  What!  Why are you looking at me like that?!

If there was one big weakness to the dinner, it's that the courses were individual dishes, and not plates.  This was fine for courses like the scrambled scallop and dessert, but the 'lo-carb-onara' was done no favors by sitting there as a big, sad, lump.  People.  Garnish or something.  Similarly, the duck course was...a whole honking (quacking?) lot of duck- I am not complaining about that, naturally, but as a course, the Duck Duck And Nothing But Duck probably did not do it full justice.  Something...green....would have been nice.  But these were dishes from the cookbook, not courses and so it was A Single Recipe per course.

That said.  It was a damn fine meal.

Oh, fine, you had to go there...

Yes, agreed, the Low Carb-O-Nara could have been put in a smaller dish or bowl.

And, now that you got me going - the Scrambled Scallops were kind of sloppy - mine came with mis-matched eggshells - a brown bottom with a white top... and the caviar was coming out the side, I had to borrow my companion's to snap a photo (thank you, wench).

Yes, "Duck, Duck, Beet" was just that - duck, duck and more duck and then some beet. Nothin' else. Not that I wasn't already pretty full by then, but still... a little veg would have been nice. A meat knife would have also been nice. :hmmm:

Hrmm... "Le Kit Cat" was just perfect. :raz:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 1 year later...

Wow, this thread has not been updated in over a year.

I just noticed on that 40 Sardines is offering Kobe sliders on their dinner menu. Has anyone tried them? Also, the menu listing of the slider is confusing. Here's how it appears:

House Made Kobe Slider, Fried Pickle and Gaufrett Potatoes    9

Need Another?                                                                    7

pick one.... or two

slivered foie gras and port onions

chicken confit, house made BBQ and cripy bacon

I'm assuming that Kobe slider is $9 and the other two (foie gras and chicken confit) are $7, apiece.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 1 month later...

I received the sad news earlier today that 40 Sardines has closed its doors. I didn't want to believe it, but had to accept the sad truth when, just an hour ago, I drove by the beloved restaurant to see it completely dark inside with an empty parking lot.

I suppose we'll be getting more information in the coming days.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I received the sad news earlier today that 40 Sardines has closed its doors.  I didn't want to believe it, but had to accept the sad truth when, just an hour ago, I drove by the beloved restaurant to see it completely dark inside with an empty parking lot.

That is sad news. 40 Sardines was an important part of KC's dining scene, and this is a big loss for us. But its not about us. I trust this is the right move for chef Gold, and I wish her lots of luck and happiness. She is a really talented cook - one of the few I've worked with who are equally skilled in pastry and savory cooking. She can see everything at once, knows exactly how she wants the food, and can jump in at any station in the middle of service if someone is in the weeds. And she's cool.

I'm thankful I got the chance to work with her. I have some great memories and great friends from 40 Sardines. I'll never forget night I helped them do a dinner in NYC at the Beard House. Watching Debbie sear foie gras in cast iron skillets on James Beard's range, I knew that I would have to work at 40 when I moved to KC.

"As far as cuisine is concerned one must read everything, see everything, hear everything, try everything, observe everything, in order to retain, in the end, just a little bit!"

F. Point

I received the sad news earlier today that 40 Sardines has closed its doors.  I didn't want to believe it, but had to accept the sad truth when, just an hour ago, I drove by the beloved restaurant to see it completely dark inside with an empty parking lot.

That is sad news...I really enjoyed that place.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

40 Sardines was an important part of KC's dining scene, and this is a big loss for us.  But its not about us.  I trust this is the right move for chef Gold, and I wish her lots of luck and happiness. 

Good point, chef. I selfishly hope she'll stay around so we can enjoy her talents in some form. I could never imagine juggling a restaurant OR parenting, much less doing both essentially single-handedly.

It is a huge loss, though. Lots of memories and good times there and it did appear to usher in a new era, in addition to serving as a launch pad/proving ground for a lot of talent.

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Well, before we all give up the ship, I was just informed that the outbound message on the 40 Sardines answering machine indicates they are temporarily closed for remodeling.

Stay tuned and keep your fingers crossed. :smile:

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Well, before we all give up the ship, I was just informed that the outbound message on the 40 Sardines answering machine indicates they are temporarily closed for remodeling.

I hope you are right.

Did Walt Bodine or any of his guests have anything to say this morning about this matter?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I hope you are right.

Did Walt Bodine or any of his guests have anything to say this morning about this matter?

Nope, it never came up. I've since heard from a reliable (if not unimpeachable) source that it is, alas, true - they are closing. :sad:

M.F.K. Fisher

Yes 40 Sardines is closed. No note on what is to come. It is a very sad day. It was a great restaurant. I for one would not have moved back to KC 5 years ago if it wasn't for 40 Sardines. I worked with Debbie at the American and at 40 and learned many lessons from her. There are so many young cooks and chef in this city and around the country that she has taught and inspired. Thank you Debbie!!

It is easier to change a menu than a growing season.

It's too bad to see 40 go and I owe a lot of respect to the restaurant for taking me in, someone who was very young and inexperienced. I feel very lucky to have been there during the time I was there. That solid foundation of upholding quality in the product, the discipline of classical techniques, and the feel that everyone around you had a want to learn/teach was paramount.

Knowing I could have been biased, knowing that I was young, and I didn't know a whole a lot about the food scene - I remember going to work every day knowing that I got to cook in the best restaurant in the city and the best staff in the city. It's been 4 years since I left, I think 90% of the kitchen staffs of my 18 months there are all now successful chefs of there own respective kitchens. I think that says a lot about 40 Sardines.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

I found this on KC rag tonight. :angry: Sometimes I hate trying so hard for such a un-thankfull town.

This is a big fucking loss.

Chef Debbie is an icon. Truly will be missed.

Thank god Cheesecake was busy tonight.

http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php?topic=14288.0

Edited by ChefCAG (log)

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

A LOT of people, mostly co-workers, since my friends *get* it, think I am some sort of freak because I simply refuse to go to chains -- even if it's someone's birthday and they choose to go there . . . I am happy to get them a card, chip in on a gift, whatever, but I really just can't make myself walk into a chain restaurant and spend money. It just makes me nuts. And it may seem radical to be that way but, if some of us aren't, soon there will be little or no choice.

I was on the plaza today (for a workshop - not because there is anything original or of interest there any longer, apart from a couple of local tenants) and every third person walking down the street was toting a doggie bag from TCF. Yes, the food is bad and overpriced, their reservation policies draconian and their service indifferent - but such large portions! In all fairness, I've not set foot in the place in probably 8 years. Who knows? Maybe it's the best food, service and value in town by now. I don't think I'll gamble on it though.

Vote with your dollars, folks. I saw a bumper sticker yesterday that said "Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular." I wanted to insert the word "well" after "living" but figured the bumper stickers wouldn't have sold. At least not in the volume it takes to succeed in our big box world.

Hang in there you guys - some of us are trying.

M.F.K. Fisher