• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

40 Sardines Restaurant (KC)

JWest

Congrats to 40 Sardines, Longest lasting business in that same location...

Anyone been to any of the classes or special dinners lately?

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Congrats to 40 Sardines, Longest lasting business in that same location...

Anyone been to any of the classes or special dinners lately?

Yes, I was a little afraid of the jinx in that location but I figured if anyone could break the spell M&D could.

I'm sorry to say I haven't been to any classes or special dinners. As much as I enjoy those two for their entertainment value, the classes were drawing folks who would pose questions like "what is that" (an eggplant), so the old attention span drifted. The wine dinners have just not worked into our schedule but they've had some very tempting ones, and I believe there's a wine blending dinner (Jouillian) soon. Damn non-food-related obligations! :angry:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I remember when Frank Brigsten came in as a Guest Chef for a cooking show. He taught me the best Pecan Pie Recipe ever! One of the sous chefs actually was a sous chef of his at his restaurant, Brigsten's in NewOrleans.

One point to bring up, not only did they past the jinx but they've also expanded to create the space for those cooking shows and parties. The Demo Kitchen where the party roooms can watch the show go on has some interesting framed pictures and certificates, including a picture of Michael Smith with Julia Childs. Also a few James Beard Awards and Culinary certiicates from France.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

I haven't been to any of the special dinners, but a couple of weeks ago when I was in town, I showed up late. They sat me in the bar, no problem, and i had a wonderful meal. The grouper was prefect. I know there are other places in town, but 40 s seems to be my go to place because i know i can get an excellent meal late. The kitchen does not lag in the late evening, and I appreciate that. I will not be back until Jan and I will be there for dinner at least once. One of these days, maybe my trip will coincide with one of there events. I can at least hope.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

ahhh... yes, 40 sardines - probably one of my favorite eats in k.c. how are things there now? i haven't been in k.c. since the summer.

would love an update from recent experiences.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

I had myself a nice 3 course dinner at the bar, I got to catch up with past fellow employees and talk to Michael and Debbie.

I was glad to see a whole appetizer dish just for Grilled Sardines and Grilled Garlic Bread. They use to use grilled sardines on salads and such but having a dish all about the sardine is awesome. They are definetly my favorite dish from the Mediteranean.

JWest.

I just had a number of outstanding grilled sardine dishes at various tapas bars in Barcelona last month. I agree that the Gold/Smith ones are every bit just as good... sigh.. well, at least I can (hopefully) always rely on a bit of honest Mediterrean culinary love in K.C.!

U.E.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 9 months later...

A rather busy Wednesday night it was at 40 Sardines, as I enjoyed the Five Course Chef's Tasting Menu. With the weather changing, I took advantage of the outdoors by sitting on the patio.

Everything on the current menu sounds great and bold in it's own respect.

1st Course: Grilled Sardines, Orange, Arugula, Grilled Flat Bread.

My "must have" when I eat at 40 Sardines. So good on a sunny day. With my meal I also had a glass of A to Z Pinot Gris, Oregon. I had once tried the Pinot Noir of A-Z but wasn't all that impressed. I find the Pinot Gris to be much more pleasing.

2nd Course: Sauteed Gnocchi, Wild Mushrooms, Parmesan, Fresh Basil.

Very rich with the light demi sauce.

3rd Course: Seared Foie Gras, Peaches, Peach-Tamarind Sauce, Nuts.

I think I've always had the seared foie everytime I come, this time it was served with lightly cooked peaches (that were good enough to not even need any cooking). Ben, my server recommended the Sauternes..Castelneau Du Suduiraut, Bordeaux, France. Just like he said...goes like peanut butter and jelly.

4th Course: Pan Seared Grouper, Creamy Grits, Crispy Grits, Swiss Chard.

Im a big fan of white grits and to have in two different preparations just makes things better. The swiss chard was spot on perfect with the dish.

5th Course: Blackberry Peach Crisp, House Made Vanilla Ice Cream, Blackberry Coulis.

Out of all the times I've eaten here, I think this has got to be one of the top choices for dessert. The baked dough on the outside was soft and buttery (not like a dry piece of cardboard). With this I had a Rosa Regale, Brachetto D'Aqui from Banfi in Italy. I always like when you get something from a winery you've visited in the past.

The Herb Garden along the outdoor seating still looks to be alive and well.

Edited by JWest (log)

I also find it curious that you had foie and fish - both times I've had the tasting, they served fish then meat... did you choose these courses?

I've had that blackberry/peach crisp - and yes, I agree, very good.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I also find it curious that you had foie and fish - both times I've had the tasting, they served fish then meat... did you choose these courses?

I've had that blackberry/peach crisp - and yes, I agree, very good. 

u.e.

I requested to choose my courses, so that's why I didn't really have a traditional Meat course.

Jwest, how's the rest of the transitional fall menu looking?  We haven't been in since the tomato dinner.  The gnocchi look divine.

I remember hearing a lady (a claimed foodie as well) who wouldn't stop expressing herself over the fact that the menu looked so great and that she couldn't make up her mind on what to get.... If I ever go again with the same menu I would probably choose from the braised short ribs, Kobe Sirloin, Wild Boar, or the Florida Pompano with Summer Truffles. The list just goes on...

As for next summer, I hope they bring back the Wonton Wrapped Halibut with Spicy Crab Butter, Japanese Yam Puree, Red Pepper Sauce, and summer squash noodles with Su Miso. I haven't seen had that since the summer of 03'.

I remember hearing a lady (a claimed foodie as well) who wouldn't stop expressing herself over the fact that the menu looked so great and that she couldn't make up her mind on what to get.... If I ever go again with the same menu I would probably choose from the braised short ribs, Kobe Sirloin, Wild Boar, or the Florida Pompano with Summer Truffles. The list just goes on...

I've had the short ribs and the boar - both are good, but I prefer the boar (with the paparadelle?). I'd be all over the pompano!

As for next summer, I hope they bring back the Wonton Wrapped Halibut with Spicy Crab Butter, Japanese Yam Puree, Red Pepper Sauce, and summer squash noodles with Su Miso. I haven't seen had that since the summer of 03'.
Neither have I! :sad:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Short ribs are hit and miss as to whether I can have them- are they doing the bully porter prep yet, or is it the ancho chile braise? Poor Ben knows I will whine and cry if it's the chile prep when I come in, this time of year.

Oh the boar. Oh so good.

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

Short ribs are hit and miss as to whether I can have them- are they doing the bully porter prep yet, or is it the ancho chile braise?  Poor Ben knows I will whine and cry if it's the chile prep when I come in, this time of year.

Oh the boar.  Oh so good.

The Bully Porter is great but .... Im the biggest fan of Mike and Debbie's Asian Braised Short Ribs, sometimes paired with wide egg noodles. Very meaty, sweet, spicy, and fragrant all at the same time.

I've been dying to have the Pork Croquettes again... the ones made with the pigs' head and all of its gelatiness glory.

After a full day of running all over town, I opted to stay close to my hotel for dinner. And it was a good decision, I must say. I even made it up to North KC to Link Creek Park on NW Waukomis.

In 4 years of coming to KC, I have tried to get to 40 Sardines at least once a year. And I have never been dissappointed with my visits to dine there.

Tonight for dinner I had

Lobster stuffed tomato with blackeyed peas and arugula

grilled asparagus and artichoke salad with parmesan crisps

Red Grouper with grits 2 ways and swiss chard

ONce again, it was a hit with me. The service was excellent, being solo, the waiter took good care of me and made a good suggestion, to add goat cheese to the grilled salad. He didn't try to push anything on me, I opted for no wine and it was no problem.

Tomorrow I head home, but not until I make my regular stop off at D&D to get road food for the drive down.

In all, a successful visit.

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

joiei.

Thanks for that report! It's great to hear good things are happening down south at 40.

The stuffed tomato and the grilled asparagus & artichoke salad both sound great! Can you describe them a little more in detail? Was the salad warm (I'm assuming yes b/c the asparagus is grilled)? What was it dressed with.

Hope you got your D&D fix on your way out!! Safe travels dude!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

JWest, you asked a while back about special dinners at 40. Everything's now confirmed- Michele Richard of Citronelle DC and Elyse winery are doing a dinner at 40 Nov 8- this is in conjunction with Rainy Day Books, re: his new cookbook. So far there's no menu posted, but as soon as it's up I'll post it here.

Has anyone done any of the cooking classes lately? I'm debating signing up for one or two, I haven't been since the tomato class 2 summers ago- are they still run as 'observe as we cook' or are they more participatory now?

JWest, you asked a while back about special dinners at 40.  Everything's now confirmed- Michele Richard of Citronelle DC and Elyse winery are doing a dinner at 40 Nov 8- this is in conjunction with Rainy Day Books, re: his new cookbook. So far there's no menu posted, but as soon as it's up I'll post it here.

Has anyone done any of the cooking classes lately?  I'm debating signing up for one or two, I haven't been since the tomato class 2 summers ago- are they still run as 'observe as we cook' or are they more participatory now?

Thankyou for the heads up! .. What a great opportunity to eat Michele Richard's cooking.

I think its more of a "watch us cook" deal but the ones with the food for kids classes, I'd imagine those are more hands on atleast for the little ones.

Yes, I was SO excited when they built the classroom (and it is impressive - very CIA-like with cameras and screens so everyone can see their every move) but sadly the classes are very much focused on the cooking-challenged and not terribly in-depth. I think I mentioned this earlier but I went to the first class they had and someone actually pointed to an eggplant and asked what it was. And it was a very typical, large, bulbous purple one, not anything exotic.

I wonder, though, if we approached them about doing something a bit more advanced, perhaps around a certain dish, menu or theme, and more hands-on . . . They're generally receptive and accomodating.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I wonder, though, if we approached them about doing something a bit more advanced, perhaps around a certain dish, menu or theme, and more hands-on . . . They're generally receptive and accomodating.

That would really be nice....and I definitely agree about the classes not being so in depth. It's more of an entertainment factor I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo. Dinner tonight.

Green bean salad (goat cheese, bacon, greens, fried onions). This was better than the first time I had it, when it was a bit tepid so the goat cheese was gooey and did it no favors. This time the green beans were ice cold, shockingly so, refreshing and bright. That paired much better against the creaminess of the goat cheese.

Drum fish, with (some teeny and whose name I forget) Japanese mushrooms, bacon, and butternut squash gnocchi. Holy cow was this good- perfect sear on the fish, delicate and flaky inside but nice and crunchy on the exterior, and the mushrooms and bacon were rich and redolent of fall without being overwhelming to the fish.

Sooo... aren't we the lucky one!

Glad to hear they improved on the goat cheese-green bean salad. Last, and only time, I had it, it was as you described for your first time - tepid and a creamy cake of goat cheese-bacon-green-fried onions.

Will have to try the *shockingly* good (and cold) kind!!

Could the mushrooms have been enoki? Or were they even teenier?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Eeeeeeven teenier than enoki. It was spur of the moment; long day at work, the kid seemed to be in a decent frame of mind, I decided to go for the challenge round and take a 3 year old out to dinner at a place devoid of cartoon character branding. (the young master had their mac-n-cheese and a perfect little scoop of ice cream)