• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Web Cams in Restaurants??

Basildog

Firstly, I have no idea where this thread show go, so if a kindly moderator would like to move it to a better place, please do

My new web site should be up an running soon, and i,m toying with the idea of a web cam.What do you lot think???????? Live pics from our tiny kitchen, or from the dining room? Or a bad , tacky idea?

Any tips for sites with web cams from kitchens would be appreciated

Ta ever so :biggrin:

PS soon , in this context ,means before the next ice age

No, Basildog, not tacky at all. Live pics from the tiny kitchen please, sir, thank you, sir.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

From a voyeur's perspective, I think its a top-notch idea. If I was in the business maybe I would have a better sense what the down-sides are but I'd personally be thrilled to see the inner workings of a restaurant on an ongoing basis. I hope you actually do this. Maybe we could link it here.

Basildog,

One of my neighborhood's most popular sushi spots has a live webcam of their sushi bar area. It also happens to be Colonel Klink's favorite sushi place, and we all know that sushi is Klinks next favorite thing to barbeque. :wink: One day he mentioned on the PNW board he was going that night, so of course I had to raz him that we'd all be watching him on the webcam. (we didn't of course, too voyeuristic, but it was fun to tease him). I was also at this sushi place a few days ago, but I sat out of range of the camera, ha.

To check out their webcam at Mashiko Restaurant Click here and then click on the webcam pic You could also email them for tips/hints/advice if you like, they're real nice over there.

As far as your restaurant, I think a webcam of the kitchen would be very interesting. :smile:

Oooh...fresh herbs... :laugh:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Basildog --What are your expectations regarding whether a webcam might alter your comfort level or other behavior in the kitchen? Have you considered whether the webcam would be moveable (e.g., to allow food to be depicted) and where you would primarily have it lodged? What are David's views on it? :blink:

Basildog -- I'm just enough of a Luddite to think it's not the best idea to have a webcam in your kitchen. A Luddite, and a line cook.

But maybe you have good reasons. Why would you want to? To satisfy the Kitchen Confidential-reading voyeurs? To show off your spotless premises where everything is done according to Escoffierean standards? To make pop stars of the kitchen crew? To shame your kitchen crew into making and keeping the premises spotless, and into sticking to standards? Why?

Suzanne F,

Basildog's place is small and very convivial. As is he. He's often front of the house taking orders and then ambling back to cook them. He has one cook to help so he can have a night off. He asked whether the cam should be dining room or kitchen. He's not trying to show off, just have a bit of fun. It's more a matter of having nothing to hide and welcoming folk, I think.

I understand your questions and think that in general they are good points. But in this specific case, Basildog's a good lad who just loves what he's doing, his place, his customers.

Basildog, another option would be to webcam the wee bahbee's crib and cut back and forth from kitchen to dining room to crib. :raz: I know that would cost three cameras but it'd be fun.

edit:

"As is he." Um. I meant "convivial", not "small". :sad:

Stefany B, of course.

Check out Basildog's posts in the UK forum. And cabrales' review of a meal at his resto.

Couldn't find a nicer guy than Basildog. :smile:

I'm blushing now :wacko:

I think you summed it up pretty well Jinmyo, it is about having nothing to hide, but also sharing with the eGullet crew and others what we do.I may even view it myself on my night off.(control freak???? moi????) :biggrin:

I think we will mount the cam overlooking where the main courses are plated.I would love to call it the pass, but hey , this is my tiny kitchen were talking about.

I can't see us working any differently, as we have a window in the kitchen door , so people going to the loo can see in anyway

If only we had the cam up and working last night,you lot could have seen the 35lb Porbeagle Shark we had delivered.Caught by a local fisherman and carried through a full restaurant by yours truly ( we have no back door)

It is on tonights menu , roasted with Thai Paste, finished with coconut milk and served with a crushed potato cake.

Basildog -- Ditto Jinmyo's thoughts. :raz:

On shark, I have never sampled its meat, even though I have sampled sharks' fin. What does shark meat taste like, and does flavor vary meaningfully across different species? :hmmm:

Basildog, sounds very nice. What kind of Thai paste? Red or green curry? Did you make it? Any lemongrass in there?

I thought that would get your attention Cabrales. :raz:

Hmmm how to describe shark?????

Meaty texture,white flesh, but you do get a strip of "red" muscle through the fillet.Subtle flavour softens nicely with cooking, not like snapper or tuna.Does that make sense?

We only use Porbeagle Shark so can't compare to others.

We did have a Great White spotted of our coast 3 years back,so all the fisherman went a bit mad catching shark.It was on everyones menu for awhile.

BTW did the photos you took at my place come out? Any chance of seeing them?

Which leads me to ask if you use a food processor or a mortar and pestle?

Shark is wonderful. I've never had Porbeagle though.

Oh, hey. That's an interesting idea. Much more control with a stick. Food processors tend to mash stuff too much and heat it up, changing the chemistry. I'll try that. Easier than mortar and pestle. :wink:

SHARK UPDATE....SHARK UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saturday afternoon i get a call from a local fisherman(same guy that caught the Porbeagle).His mate has caught a big Thresher Shark....103lbs..on rod and line, and wanted to sell it.I said if he cut it up, i would have some.but not all of it!.Anyway 6.30pm he chugs up the estuary wih said shark aboard and we walk down to see it landed.(we make our own entertainment down here).Fantastic fish 9 1/2 ft long (thresher is alot of tail) and the first one caught in our waters for years.If the guy who caught it had been a member of the Cornwall Anglers Club he could claim the Cornish Record !Cooks up very similar to Porbeagle.Our well known local restaurant didn't get a look in, as there was nobody around to say yes .What a shame ,hehehehehehe :raz:

Laptop now installed at work :biggrin::biggrin:

New website should be running in a few days then i got to work out to get the web cam connected to it......then LIVE WEBCAST FROM MARGOT'S..!!!!!

I think it might be too complicated to run the cam all the time, but maybe once a week from 7-9pm

Can ya tell i'm excited by my new toys?????? :raz:

PS thanks Mike for the link to Gabriels

There cam shot is a bit too much like a security cam.i want mine to be close up on food