• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good, Even Great, Butchers in New England

West Concord (MA) Supermarket has a very good meat department with excellent butchers. Alpine Butchers in Chelmsford, MA is excellent. They are a retail branch of Lowell Provisions and can get about anything with a few days notice. If Lowell is more convenient, Lowell Provisions also does retail, but they are more geared to wholesale.

I'll have to give Blood Farms another try. I found them very uncooperative when I tried them a few times about five years ago.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
I'm curious -- what about those great little butchers I used to go to in Boston's North End?  I don't know if they were stocking great meat -- not many of their customers were going to shell out $20 for a pound of beef, I think.  But in terms of serious butcher skills, like cutting out just the piece of meat you wanted, beautifully boning out or butterflying your cut, and making their own sausage, they seemed pretty damn competent.

If you go down Richmond St, past Salumeria Italiana (amazing), past Hanover, and two or three doors before Polcari's there is a butcher on the same side as Polcari's. I don't thing there is a sign, but he has the most gorgeous meat. The veal is amazing- it will make your heart sing. They cut everything by hand and grind up the meat fresh. Their sausages are terrific, too.

If you go down Richmond St, past  Salumeria Italiana (amazing), past Hanover, and two or three doors before Polcari's there is a butcher on the same side as Polcari's.  I don't thing there is a sign, but he has the most gorgeous meat.  The veal is amazing- it will make your heart sing.  They cut everything by hand and grind up the meat fresh.  Their sausages are terrific, too.

Goldie (or anyone in the know), do you think you can get a name and address for those of us who don't find outselves in the North End often enough? Thanks!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

If you go down Richmond St, past  Salumeria Italiana (amazing), past Hanover, and two or three doors before Polcari's there is a butcher on the same side as Polcari's.  I don't thing there is a sign, but he has the most gorgeous meat.  The veal is amazing- it will make your heart sing.  They cut everything by hand and grind up the meat fresh.  Their sausages are terrific, too

Goldie (or anyone in the know), do you think you can get a name and address for those of us who don't find outselves in the North End often enough? Thanks!

I'm a little confused on directions. Salumeria Italiana is on Richmond and Polcari's is at the dead-end intersection of Richmond and Salem. No butchers en route that I've noticed. The NE is a quick walk from my office and a favorite lunch/shopping destination. If Goldie can clarify, I'm happy to check it out.

If you go down Richmond St, past  Salumeria Italiana (amazing), past Hanover, and two or three doors before Polcari's there is a butcher on the same side as Polcari's.  I don't thing there is a sign, but he has the most gorgeous meat.  The veal is amazing- it will make your heart sing.  They cut everything by hand and grind up the meat fresh.  Their sausages are terrific, too

I'm a little confused on directions. Salumeria Italiana is on Richmond and Polcari's is at the dead-end intersection of Richmond and Salem. No butchers en route that I've noticed. The NE is a quick walk from my office and a favorite lunch/shopping destination. If Goldie can clarify, I'm happy to check it out.

That's Sulmona Meat Market..32 Parmenter St..which I mentioned above. Richmond St changes it's name to Parmenter St when it crosses Hanover. Walking the street from Hanover to Salem, it's on the left..a few doors (1?)before Polcaris..and Salem St.

I go in there a lot and highly recommend them.

You'll also pass on the left..across from the library; Alba Produce..high quality stuff..great mushrooms in the back..just ask.

Guiffre's fish market is around the corner..

Between those 3 and Salumeria Italiana, I eat pretty well :laugh:

Edited by 9lives (log)

That's Sulmona Meat Market..32 Parmenter St..which I mentioned above. Richmond St changes it's name to Parmenter St when it crosses Hanover. Walking the street from Hanover to Salem, it's on the left..a few doors (1?)before Polcaris..and Salem St.

I go in there a lot and highly recommend them.

You'll also pass on the left..across from the library; Alba Produce..high quality stuff..great mushrooms in the back..just ask.

Guiffre's fish market is around the corner..

Between those 3 and Salumeria Italiana, I eat pretty well :laugh:

Sulmona is, in fact, immediately before you would get to Polcari's.

There is also Abruzzese Meat Market which is across Salem Street from Polcari's very near where Parmenter tees into Parmenter. There seem to be the Abruzzese shoppers and the Sulmona shoppers and never the two shall mix.

I agree also with the value of shopping at Alba and Guiffre. Alba has hard-to-find Italian green-grocer finds like Sicilian eggplant and cardoons.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN