• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zier's Prime Meats - Wilmette, IL

ronnie_suburban

Hi all,

Would Zier's probably be the best place to look for bone-in dry-aged prime strip steaks for someone in the midwest? Anyone have any general ideas about what the cost might be (without shipping included)?

Thanks

Hi all,

Would Zier's probably be the best place to look for bone-in dry-aged prime strip steaks for someone in the midwest?  Anyone have any general ideas about what the cost might be (without shipping included)?

Thanks

Definitely. They'll even ship it for you. I'm not exactly sure about the cost, but you can give them a call to discuss it (847 251-4000). Unfortunately, I think they're closed for vacation until January 5 or 6.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

We had small USDA Prime Rib Roast over the holidays procured from Mitsuwa at $20/# which I found in one of my freezer's. While as tender as anything from Zier's, the flavor simply cannot compare to dry aging from Zier's.

We also had some #12 Waygu for New Years Eve which was extrordinary sliced thin and then seared on my cast iron griddle but that is totally different type of meat and preperation than USDA Prime.-Dick

• 3 months later...

I have great connection for Prime meat, but I had seen the photos of the product that RS had bought from Zier's so I bought my Dad a gift from there. Zier's carries some of the nicest Prime meat that I have seen...crazy good. I was surprised how nice the ribeye and porterhouse that Zier's has. With the grilling season coming, run don't walk to Zier's (you have to beat RS there) and ask Dave what looks good to him and he will not steer you wrong.

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I finally had an opportunity to visit Zier's and understand the enthusiasm. They really know their beef and are really nice about talking about beef.

They didn't know about oyster steaks but were very interested. I wanted to send them a picture of this steak from Bovine Myology but they do not have email. I may just mail them the picture.

I also found some wonderful beef at a different store and wanted to share a comparison.

This is Zier's Waygu at $63 per pound.

gallery_20595_5128_1060202.jpg

This is Zier's Porterhouse at $26 per pound.

gallery_20595_5128_1267008.jpg

This is Fresh Foods Marketplace's Rib steak at $8 per pound.

gallery_20595_5128_295988.jpg

This made me think, WHY GO WAYGU??

Tim

You have discovered what the American Waygu farmers don't want you to know i.e that American Waygu is in many cases not any better than most Choice and the farmers, wholesalers and retailers are trading on the name and its association to Kobe beef.

There is some very good American Waygu out there but unless it is graded, it's mostly miss.

Zier's Waygu as i remember is frozen from Idaho and I won't try it.

USDA dry aged Prime like Dave sells beats American Waygu everytime.

I recently procured some real Kobe beef and it is an entirely different product and most be treated as such. It is grilled to small cubes and is fantastic but if you are used to a thick USDA Prime Porterhouse, it may not be for everyone.

I have a thread on my search for genuine Kobe on this forum, so do a search. You will also find the information on the Kobe beef supplier and pictures.

Anyway, for US style steak, Dave's the best.-Dick

There's a lot more to good, authentic Wagyu than marbling. Its taste and texture are remarkably superior to American Wagyu. It almost tastes like a completely different animal.

If you can't get the real stuff (e.g. Japanese), prime, aged beef from Zier's is the absolute best money can buy.

=R=

budrichard  Posted Yesterday, 01:11 PM
ronnie_suburban  Posted Yesterday, 01:26 PM

There's a lot more to good, authentic Wagyu than marbling. Its taste and texture are remarkably superior to American Wagyu. It almost tastes like a completely different animal.

If you can't get the real stuff (e.g. Japanese), prime, aged beef from Zier's is the absolute best money can buy.

=R=

You have discovered what the American Waygu farmers don't want you to know i.e that American Waygu is in many cases not any better than most Choice and the farmers, wholesalers and retailers are trading on the name and its association to Kobe beef.

There is some very good American Waygu out there but unless it is graded, it's mostly miss.

Zier's Waygu as i remember is frozen from Idaho and I won't try it.

USDA dry aged Prime like Dave sells beats American Waygu everytime.

I recently procured some real Kobe beef and it is an entirely different product and most be treated as such. It is grilled to small cubes and is fantastic but if you are used to a thick USDA Prime Porterhouse, it may not be for everyone.

I have a thread on my search for genuine Kobe on this forum, so do a search. You will also find the information on the Kobe beef supplier and pictures.

Anyway, for US style steak, Dave's the best.-Dick

Hi,

Actually, I was wondering what you thought of the Fresh Food Market's rib steak at $7.99.

I'll let you know about the taste of this cheap Choice beef (I don't even know its provenance!) after I finish dry aging and cook the steaks.

Tim

Edited by tim (log)

Hi,

Actually, I was wondering what you thought of the Fresh Food Market's rib steak at $7.99. 

I'll let you know about the taste of this cheap Choice beef (I don't even know its provenance!)  after I finish dry aging and cook the steaks.

Tim

Since one just opened fairly near my house, I plan to try some out soon.

Tim, how do you age at home . . . Alton Brown method?

=R=

Ronnie,

I bought the beef at the former Bobak's store in Burr Ridge. They are continuing the tradition and are very proud of their meats.

I know about AB's roast aging procedures. I don't use the paper towels. Just air in the fridge.

Tim

Ronnie,

I bought the beef at the former Bobak's store in Burr Ridge.  They are continuing the tradition and are very proud of their meats.

I know about AB's roast aging procedures.  I don't use the paper towels.  Just air in the fridge.

Tim

Tim,

How long do you age it? What's the loss factor? Does the meat pick up any refrigerator aromas. It sounds very cool.

We've become pretty spoiled by Zier's prime, aged beef since we started shopping there. In fact, the other day we cooked some steaks that a friend gave us (from another source) and even my 10-year-old son commented on how devoid of flavor they were.

=R=

Ronnie,

I posted the pictures just to show the incredible marbling on the steaks. These had much better marbling than Zier's prime or the Waygu. Based on these pictures of Kobe Rib Steaks, Grades 3 through 12, I'd give this $7.99 rib steak a marble score of 7 to 8.

I aged the rib steaks for 5 days and they lost 10% of their weight. It was not necessary to trim any of the meat and I might go for 10 days with another steak with that wonderful marbling.

The steaks were wonderful with great beef flavor, nothing like that "whole different animal" that is raised on beer and massaged daily in Japan.

The Fresh Food Market is worth a trip. They have maintained their mission since the Bobak break-up and have expanded the ethnicity of their staff. (The Orland Park store has gone way downhill.)

Not living near Chicago means I'll have to be content with my local oyster steaks.

Tim

Ronnie,

I posted the pictures just to show the incredible marbling on the steaks.  These had much better marbling than Zier's prime or the Waygu.  Based on these pictures of  Kobe Rib Steaks, Grades 3 through 12, I'd give this $7.99 rib steak a marble score of 7 to 8. 

I aged the rib steaks for 5 days and they lost 10% of their weight.  It was not necessary to trim any of the meat and I might go for 10 days with another steak with that wonderful marbling.

The steaks were wonderful with great beef flavor, nothing like that "whole different animal" that is raised on beer and massaged daily in Japan. 

The Fresh Food Market is worth a trip.  They have maintained their mission since the Bobak break-up and have expanded the ethnicity of their staff.  (The Orland Park store has gone way downhill.) 

Not living near Chicago means I'll have to be content with my local oyster steaks.

Tim

Thanks, Tim, for the info. The Fresh Foods market near me actually hasn't opened yet but it looks imminent.

As an aside, I wish that were raised on beer and massaged daily . . . in Japan, or anywhere, for that matter. :wink:

=R=

Thanks for the recommendation ronnie. I have been desperately seeking a good butcher on the north shore so I don't have to make trips down to the city to get quality meats every couple weeks. I will most definitely check Zier's out.

"In a perfect world, cooks who abuse fine cutlery would be locked in a pillory and pelted with McNuggets."

- Anthony Bourdain