• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Robuchon or Fleur De Lys

Hello, South Westerners! My wife and I are planning a weekend in Vegas to celebrate her birthday. Has anyone been to the new Robuchon restaurants and Fleur de Lys? We're looking for some guidance to decide between these three.

And while I'm at it, we're thinking of seeing one of the Cirque shows. Anybody seen more than one and has a favorite?

Thanks in advance.

Foodieherb

Hello, South Westerners!  My wife and I are planning a weekend in Vegas to celebrate her birthday.  Has anyone been to the new Robuchon restaurants and Fleur de Lys?  We're looking for some guidance to decide between these three.

And while I'm at it, we're thinking of seeing one of the Cirque shows.  Anybody seen more than one and has a favorite? 

Thanks in advance.

Foodieherb

Foodieherb,

"O" at the Bellagio is the one to see, if you want prime seats=800-buy-tixs. On the restaurant front, the one in Vegas that has been getting great reviews-Bartolotta at the Wynn.

Good Eating,

Molto E

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

try la reve at the wynn resort! its amazing! ask for the seats in the first two rows. you will love it.

the robuchon restaurants are actually two restaurants. one is more formal and prie fix and the other is mostly ala carte and casual. very pricey. check out the mgmgrand website for menus. enjoy the show!

I've finally seen all of the "official" Cirque shows (La Reve is a Cirque-style show by Frank Dragone) and it really comes down to what makes you go WOW. If you like the daring circus-type acts similar to the traveling Cirque shows, then Mystere is great (and less expensive) - you won't be disappointed. O is actually quite similar to Mystere in that it's still built around circus acts, with the huge difference that the "stage" can transform from solid to water and back again, and they make full use of the feature. It is beautiful and mysterious.

However, if you're more impressed by sheer theatrical and technical beauty, then Ka is the show to see. While there are some circus-type moments, it's the only one of the current shows that actually has a clear story line. The action if difficult to discribe (and I wouldn't want to give anything away), but suffice to say that I think they are doing things that have never been done on a live stage before and I was completely blown away. Ka is my personal favorite.

Then there is Zumanity, the "erotic" Cirque show at New York New York. I found it too be fun and very entertaining with something for just about every taste. It is quite explicit with near full nudity and they follow the Cirque tradition of audience participation, so be warned. It's not as raunchy as some of the other sex themed shows on and off the strip, but don't go if you're easily offended.

Oh, and to keep this post on topic - I haven't been to either of the Robuchon places or Fleur de Lys yet, but my bet would be on Robuchon. The high end one at the Mansion, if you can afford it.

I haven't been to Fleur de Lys, but I've eaten at L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon three times. Each meal was great! The atmosphere is informal - four small tables, and 24 seats around a food counter - but the food is excellent. I can only believe that Joël Robuchon at the Mansion (the more formal dining spot) will be better still.

I've written up longish reviews of two of my meals at L'Atelier. Go down about halfway, or just search for "L'Atelier".

• 1 month later...

Just saw both Mystere and Ka a few weeks back. Both O and Zumanity were blacked out during the time I was there.

While Mystere was good, Ka just blew me away. It was absolutely the best show I've ever seen, bar none. Including all Broadway musicals, plays, etc. Unbelievable.

Just saw both Mystere and Ka a few weeks back.  Both O and Zumanity were blacked out during the time I was there.

While Mystere was good, Ka just blew me away.  It was absolutely the best show I've ever seen, bar none.  Including all Broadway musicals, plays, etc.  Unbelievable.

Also the most expensive stage production - ever.