• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Recommendations for Duck

sadistick

Just wondering what would be a good wine to go with some seared duck breasts I am doing tonight...going to sear them then make a blueberry reduction sauce, acompanies by a potato galette...

I was thinking Pinot...but I also have this Cab/Merlot blend thats supposed to be good...What would you folks suggest?

Cheers

Just wondering what would be a good wine to go with some seared duck breasts I am doing tonight...going to sear them then make a blueberry reduction sauce, acompanies by a potato galette...

I was thinking Pinot...but I also have this Cab/Merlot blend thats supposed to be good...What would you folks suggest?

Cheers

If searing on the stove, I like pinot, especially old Burgundy.

If on the grill, the smoky flavor imparted by the grill may give you a point to work from. I'm not much for cab-merlot but a nice syrah, particularly Cote-Rotie, comes to mind.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

For some reason, I've never been big on either duck or lamb with pinot.

As far as duck breasts go, it's worth bearing in mind that the idea of cooking duck breast like you do steak originated in southwest France (they had lots of duck meat left over from foie gras production, and breast isn't well-suited to confit). Not surprisingly, many tannic reds from that region pair beautifully with it: Madiran, Cahors, Côtes de Buzet, Médoc, Fronsac, Corbières, etc. So, I'd lean toward the cabernet-merlot blend.

Still, there's no denying that it's among the most wine-friendly red meats.

It may be too late but we had seared duck breast on Sat. night with a 1978 Cote Rotie from Gugal that was pretty amazing. Gotta clean out the cellar from time to time. I like PN as well as Syrah and Greanche based wines with Duck.

Just my $.02

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover