• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need suggestions New Brunswick Area

Phish Food

I was looking for suggestions for lunch or dinner in and around Rutgers new brunswick that fall into the budget of college students? We have a car so any towns nearby, including edison, piscataway, the brunswicks or whetever else is fine. Thanks is advance.

I was looking for suggestions for lunch or dinner in and around Rutgers new brunswick that fall into the budget of college students?  We have a car so any towns nearby, including edison, piscataway, the brunswicks or whetever else is fine.  Thanks is advance.

there are so many great places in NB. What type of food are you in the mood for?

Sick of Stuff Yer Face, are you? hehe I remember that universe long before it actually became a real college town, and that one block of Easton Ave was all we had! Uhboy, I'm getting old.

Okay...there's a noodle shop in North Brunswick that's supposed to be really good, and reasonably priced...it was written up in the Star Ledger or NYT a few months ago. I'll try to get the name and/or hope that someone here comes up with it! There is a ton of good Indian food in Edison on Oak Tree Rd and environs. Iirc, Cafe Primavera was decent (albeit red sauce-ish) Italian. It's in Somerset, on the road that intersects with Easton Avenue right at the Somerset Diner. I can't remember the road, but it's perpendicular to the movies/supermarket/KMart/BK, in a small strip mall that has a pet store in it. If you drive further away in Somerset (up 287 N, that is), there is a lot of good Thai up there, i.e. Origin Thai, Chao Phaya (sp?) and the like. There's also terrific Thai in Highland Park, right on the main street on the left side as you come up from River Road/NB. Used to be a decent Jewish deli on Rt. 18 South in...the Loehmann's Plaza, I believe.

That's as much as the old brain can churn out at the moment, but I'll keep thinking about it.

Hoo Rah! :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I was looking for suggestions for lunch or dinner in and around Rutgers new brunswick that fall into the budget of college students?  We have a car so any towns nearby, including edison, piscataway, the brunswicks or whetever else is fine.  Thanks is advance.

there are so many great places in NB. What type of food are you in the mood for?

Preferably something away from Easton Ave. We have eaten at stuff yer face 100s of times.

There's a very good BYO sushi place called Jo Sho, it's off Easton Avenue, at 120 Cedar Grove Lane in Somerset.

And I know you are sick of Easton Avenue, but you should seriously try the shrimp won ton soup from Noodle Gourmet if you haven't already, it's my favorite food in the universe.