• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Batali's Enameled Cookware

Chris Amirault

I was just in Whole Foods and saw a big display of the new Mario Batali line of cooking items. The little mise en place cups seem like a great cheap gift (5 for $10), and there were a few other things, but I was blown away by the enameled cookware. (Click here for a link to the Batali cookware at italiankitchen.com). The 6 qt dutch oven has a stainless knob, self-basting spikes a la Staub, incredible heft, and some very fine enamel -- at least on the one I inspected in the store. They also look great. Finally, at $99, it's half the price or better of a similar Le Creuset dutch oven. There's also a lasagna pan (nice enough but not for me) and a panini press (ditto).

Any one try any of these? Planning to buy one for yourself or someone else?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I saw this in Sur laTable and wondered about it. I'd check it out, but I usually get my le creuset 1/2 price anyway and just bought 2 new pieces at Tues. Morning (they get odd colors, but I'm odd too). I did like the panini grill, but I already have a grill pan. I wish he had a chefs pan, I'd buy that in a second at those prices. Mine has to go back to Lecruset because the enamel broke off on the bottom a little, but at those prices you get them fixed. If I could find a cheaper one I'd go for it, I use that pan everyday. If anyone has some of Mario's cookware please let us know how it is. Thanks

I am planning on getting Mario's panini press, and from Italian Kitchen, as it's $10 less than, I think it was, Sur La Table. It's a press! It's a grill pan! The lid's a fly swatter! It's practically Ron Popeil. Not to mention it's orange--we haven't got a single orange thing in the kitchen but squashes.

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

I have the little measuring bowls, and I got a two spatulas...orange, to go with the Mario pepper grinder I got last Christmas...now I also have an orange cutting board, an orange-handled knife, and an orange purse :blink:

I used to hate orange, but now I really like the way it brightens up the kitchen.

Glad to hear Mario's putting out quality enameled products - I covet the lasagna pan - nice and deep; the panini press looks cool but I don't really need it, and I already have a Le Creuset dutch oven...(but it's not ORANGE) - although the Basilman did give me an orange LC non-stick skillet he found at some yard sale last year - maybe that's what really started the orange kick.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

That is a good looking Dutch oven. If I didn't have a LC about that size I would be tempted.

I am drooling over the lasagna pan. And it comes in white, or cream, or something. I have always wanted a pan like that in cast iron. The LC cast iron roasting pan is $169.99 on Amazon for the 10x14 inch. Mario's is 9x13 but is deeper. I like that it is deeper. It looks like a very useful piece.

(Amex card wriggles out of the billfold and is now hiding somewhere in the house.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Mario was just at Bloomies in NY, and I saw him giving a cooking demo, and his cookware. Both were impressive. It's made by Copco, and I think made in China. It looked very well made and very similar to LC. I like the basting spikes under the lid. The enamel looked to be very well done, and smoother, with less imperfections that LC. They also do the base enamel rim.

I asked him about his cookware and he said they were working on many new styles, and also new colors. Has anyone had a chance to actually use his cast iron cookware? Love the panini grill, but it weighs a ton. It much better priced than LC, and I was wondering what everyone thought of it.

• 3 months later...
Mario was just at Bloomies in NY, and I saw him giving a cooking demo, and his cookware. Both were impressive. It's made by Copco, and I think made in China. It looked very well made and very similar to LC. I like the basting spikes under the lid. The enamel looked to be very well done, and smoother, with less imperfections that LC. They also do the base enamel rim.

I asked him about his cookware and he said they were working on many new styles, and also new colors. Has anyone had a chance to actually use his cast iron cookware? Love the panini grill, but it weighs a ton. It much better priced than LC, and I was wondering what everyone thought of it.

So far, so good with the Dutch oven and lasagna pans. Very well priced. Lovely deep enamel colours. The test, I think, will be if the rims chip over time.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I bought the dutch oven last night. I had a gift card for 150 and couldn't bring myself to drop over 200 bucks on the comparable Le Creuset. The Batali 6 quart cast iron (enamel) pot was only 99 bucks. It seems like basically the same thing with some minor modifications (basting spikes). The way I figure it is that I will likely use this thing maybe 20 times a year. If it breaks down in 10 years I can buy another Batali one and I am still ahead financially.

I think to give the pan its proper due, I will try Mario Batali's short ribs recipe from the Babbo cookbook this Sunday. I will report my findings here on Monday.

Explore the food, beverages, and people of Wisconsin EatWisconsin.com

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the Batali Dutch Oven and made his short ribs and I was very satisfied with the performance of the pan. I have a smaller LaCreuset and to be honest the performance was the same. Maybe some uber-chef could find some differences between the two pans but I am sure that the home cook would not. Only time will tell how this pan holds up but so far I am glad I saved the extra money.

Explore the food, beverages, and people of Wisconsin EatWisconsin.com

I was given the 8 quart dutch oven type pot as a gift. It's awesome, but... it's about 20 pounds, I swear. Me mother in law has the LC one and it feels like the Mario one is twice as heavy. What gives, I wonder?

I like the basting spikes under the lid.

I am going to expose my ignorance here...can someone please define and explain "Basting spikes?"

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon, or not at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they're little spikes on the inside of the pot's lid. During the cooking process steam condenses on the top and is channeled to these spikes. As the liquid drops from them, they baste whatever is cooking in the vessel.

Is this the same set of cookware he was hawking on the Del Posto TVFN special - along with the Batali bobblehead doll?

Does he use these in any of his kitchens?

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I've been thinking about getting one of these (6 quart) since the price is so much lower than LC. Just went over to Amazon and the 'secret price' (where you have to put it in the basket to see the reduced price) for the persimmon one was $62. And free shipping (for today only it says)! No-brainer on that deal for me-- I got it.

Chris Sadler

I ordered one in crema yesterday from Amazon and used the March $25 coupon (ordered some bowls, too). Looks like it's now shipping from cooking.com, so the coupon no longer works with it.

One of the sales people at Sur La Table I spoke to recommended the MB pot over LC. She said the quality was just as good for a much better price.

One of the sales people at Sur La Table I spoke to recommended the MB pot over LC. She said the quality was just as good for a much better price.

I'm a very long time LC fan, but I have to admit that this recommendation makes great sense to me. If I were starting over, I'd grab that dutch oven pronto.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts