• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zagat Bio

=Mark

Zie Gazzat, Steve. :biggrin: Good sound byte. Interesting show. Brilliant concept (The Guide) brilliantly executed. My toque is off to Nina and Tim. They did it right, no matter what fault you find with the product, it's a hell of a business and meets a need a lot of people have.

I've found the usefulness of the guide varies according to the city. NYC and DC seem pretty good, some of the smaller cities seem swayed by the editors in charge of the compilation.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Congratulations, Steve. It's a media blitz. :shock:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

So what's the deal with Jim Leff being inteviewed in the dark?

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

That's pretty standard for restaurant reviewers for whom anonymous reviewing is a priority. It would have been nice if they explained that somewhere on the show, because the way they put it together it made Grimes and Leff look like they were in the witness protection program. With Grimes, it's just for show, of course, since most restaurateurs know what he looks like anyway. But Leff really does have control of his anonymity and arguably has reason to want to preserve it.

Am I the only one who thinks my voice and Leff's voice sound freakily similar?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Am I the only one who thinks my voice and Leff's voice sound freakily similar?

Nope. I kept looking up (I was packing Jay's suitcase while he watched the show) and expecting to see you.

Instead it was Jim "no one knows what I look like" Leff half the time. :laugh: