• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duck bones/scraps post confit

UnConundrum

Were you reading my mind? Last night I cooked a duck (not confit) and this morning stared at the carcass in the 'fridge determined that something could be done with it. I googled for duck soup but little came up that didn't require ingredients I simply don't have on hand. I brooded for a while and finally came up with Wonton Soup with Duck Stock. I made a standard stock with the bones taking off the meat before it became too overcooked. I finely chopped the duck meat, mixed in some sherry, some soy, some scallions and some white pepper and made wontons. I then added some ginger, some scallions and some soy to the strained and defatted stock and the resulting soup is quite tasty and warming on a November day. I'll be very interested to read other ideas.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I tried making stock using post-confit bones, but it just didn't turn out as rich and flavorful as I would've hoped.

You can make it, but I would advice agaist it. However, I have two suggestions.

1. If you have some duck stock on-hand, fortify it with your post-confit bones. Just simmer the stock with the bones for about 45 minutes for some extra flavor

2. Whenever you're making regular chix stock, add your post-confit bones to make a nice chix stock with character (this alternative would be my choice)

3. I know I said two suggestions, but I thought of something else... make your remouillage and reduce it to a glaze for later use. I like this one.

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

I really like a pressure cooker for small batch stocks when you have just a couple of bones and don't want to go to the effort of a full blown stock. It takes just 2 hours start to finish (less if you dont need to roast) and you can get the full charecter of the stock without diluting it with a neutral stock like chicken.

If you have a PC then why not? If it comes out weak, then just keep reducing until you get the flavour you like. Otherwise, there are plenty of asian soups that would do well with a very light and delicate flavour.

PS: I am a guy.

I freeze any left over duck bones, till I have several carcasses saved. I brown the frozen bones for an hour (till golden brown) before making stock. Also if you can buy duck wings (I get them at the Chinese market) cut them with a cleever at the joints and add to the stock. It makes excellent duck stock.

At work the other night, the chef de cuisine had me pick through a deep hotel pan filled with baby goat confit (cooked in lamb fat), to get the bones and bits out. There was an awful lot of cartilage, which I always believe gives really good flavor and texture to stock, so I asked the chef if he wanted me to save the bones for stock. He said no.

His explanation was that the bones had already given everything they had to offer, as the confit had simmered for some time, plus then it had sat around for a couple of months, so any stock made from the bones would be greasy and flavorless.

I, however, am the type who has to see for myself. I was going to bring the bones and bits home, for my own experiments, but by the end of the picking (it took me three hours!), I really really did not want anything more to do with it.

If I had leftover bones from duck confit, I'd certainly give it a try. At the very least, you will get a nice layer of fat on top that you can save for truly delicious potatoes.

Well, I gave it a shot. Made a duck risotto using the stock I made from two batches of duck confit. I never really tasted the stock, but the risotto was wonderful :) I sauted some onions in duck fat, add the rice, sauted some more, added some wine and then the duck stock. Near the end I added some sauted mushrooms.... Served a little duck confit with the risotto. Life is good.