• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

French Food Guides 2006 - Part 2

John Talbott

French Food Guides 2006 Part 2: The big Lebey

Lebey’s 2006 Guide des Restaurants de Paris includes 658 places of which 77 or 78 (depending on whether you trust the back cover or the Preface) are new and about 30 are “coups de coeur,” abbreviated here as “C du C,” that is, their favorites. Another new feature is a list of brunch places. The authors (CL and Sylvain Verut) also single out in their Preface Senderens, Pre Catalan, Le Comptoir + Meating.

New restaurants meriting an Eiffel tower(s) (eg star(s)):

Silk and Spice

Benoit

Fogon (also gets a C de C)

Le Comptoir (also gets a C de C)

Aida

Auguste

Gaya

Citrus Etoile

Le Jardin des Cygnes

Maxan

Dominique Bouchet

Romain

La Grille (also gets a C de C)

Harumi

L’Acajou

Le Pavillion Noura

Le Pergolese

L’Ampere

Le Beauvilliers

Krung Thep

Mandalay Restaurant

Mogador

Aux Saveurs du Marche

Coups de Coeur meriting an Eiffel tower(s) (eg star(s)):

Le Meurice

Apicius

Laurent

Senderens

Astrance

Pre Catalan

Enoteca

Isami

Sardegna a Tavola

Angl’Opera

Spoon

La Famille

Josephine

Chez Ramalaud

Repaire de Cartouche

Villaret

Cerisaie

Table Lauriston

Caves Petrissans

Pre Verre

Ze Kitchen Galerie

Avant Gout

Plain old Coups de Coeur:

Hotel Costes

Le Meurice

Mathi’s

La Muse Vin

Chez Ramalaud

Temps Au Temps

La Rotonde de la Muette

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

John.

Can you explain the double vision? (See below).

Thanks.

U.E. :huh:

Le Meurice

Le Meurice

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

John.

Can you explain the double vision?  (See below).

Thanks.

U.E. :huh:

Le Meurice

Le Meurice

Yes. They give Eiffel towers instead of stars, so it is a Coup de Coeur plus it has 1, 2 or 3 Eiffel towers.

John Talbott

• 2 months later...

Rather than use up a whole thread with thin news, here's the news from the little Lebey Paris Bistrot Guide. In the preface he applauds Le Comptoir, the reprise of l'Escargot Montorgueil and the appearance of La Ferrandaise open only two months, which won the best bistrot of the year award.

John Talbott

It appears that La Ferrandaise has taken over the space of the old Table d'Aude. Is this a completely new enterprise or is it still a Languedoc outpost ?

For years I have wanted to try the Escargot Montorgueil for snails and frog legs but have always been turned off by the appearance consistent with tourist trapping. Have you tried it recently?

It appears that La Ferrandaise has taken over the space of the old Table d'Aude. Is this a completely new enterprise or is it still a Languedoc outpost ?

You are correct, same space, totally new/different crew and stuff, I should have noted that. I'll post my review next weekend (very positive).

For years I have wanted to try the Escargot Montorgueil for snails and frog legs but have always been turned off by the appearance consistent with tourist trapping. Have you tried it recently?

Well, it is in tourist central and no, not recently, it's been five-six years since I've been. My opinion was that it is what it is and if you hanker for escargots, no better place (unless you buy them in the little shop, l'Escargot de la Butte, on Joseph de Maistre in the 18th and prepare them at home.) (There's another place in the 15th, La Maison de l'Escargot, but I've never tried their stuff).

John Talbott