• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Austin] Sunset Valley Farmers Market

Kent Wang

Hopefully these photos will motivate you to check out the farmers market. If you have been, I'd love to discuss what you think of the various products sold there.

Full Quiver Farms: Best pork chops I've ever had, much better than anything from Central Market. Fatty, well marbled, very flavorful. Also sells other pork products and chicken.

62514798_86fbf080b6.jpg

Directly to the left of Full Quiver Farms, presumably his father. Cheeses of many kinds.

62514423_a93ee7bf56.jpg

Directly to the left of the above. Many kinds of vegetables.

62515444_ce26c667e0.jpg

Round Rock Honey: As far as I know, the closest honey farm to Austin, so it would be the best for combating allergies. I have a jar.

62514703_16cedbdcc2.jpg

Shape O Ranch. Bison products, guajillo honey, very faint, floral flavor. I have a jar.

62515915_93c5dfad29.jpg

Spiceburst: Seasoned salts. I have three different jars.

62514279_a45dda3927.jpg

Fresh roasted peanuts.

62516020_91353057a1.jpg

There are a number of food vendors. My favorite is the Belgian waffle stand. Unfortunately they didn't come today, so all I have is just a pic of a Liege waffle from last week. Soft, sweet, thick dough -- almost a bit raw. Topped with strawberry preserves and whipped cream. Overall, a little too sweet. I think I'll skip the preserves next time.

43736731_3ce2dd8d69.jpg

Some crafts vendors.

62514958_95668056bf.jpg

A lot of people bring their dogs -- and not just ugly ones either. The average handsomeness of the dogs there is much higher than anywhere else I have been.

62515110_77b23b9cfc.jpg

62515289_a8e143f374.jpg

62515560_e5c8a48d1d.jpg

do you have a contact for the Shape O Ranch?

No, they're not on the the merchant listing on website either. I suppose the page is a bit outdated. When I go next weekend I will get their info for you. Are you interested in their honey or their bison? They have most cuts, ranging from steaks to ground. They also make a bison jerky. Not the best but I'm hardly a jerky connoiseur.

I've been to the Sunset Valley Farmers' Market once, but was not impressed with the produce. There don't seem to be a whole lot of produce vendors, to begin with, and the quality isn't what I'd hoped. For example, old-looking green beans from the produce stand pictured above.

Is thereanother farmers' market that has a bigger selection of veggies and fruit? I've been to the one on Guadalupe, and was surprised at how small it was. I've also been to Boggy Creek Farms which had a nice selection of specialty greens, but it was really expensive, and the bunches were tiny.

dexygus

Sunset Valley is the biggest one in town. The produce is neither cheap nor quality. Compared to farmers markets in other cities, it really is quite lacking in that respect. I believe it's because there really is not much agriculture in Central Texas, mostly ranching. The only produce I regularly buy there are Texas oranges and English cucumbers.

Sunset Valley is the biggest one in town. The produce is neither cheap nor quality. Compared to farmers markets in other cities, it really is quite lacking in that respect. I believe it's because there really is not much agriculture in Central Texas, mostly ranching. The only produce I regularly buy there are Texas oranges and English cucumbers.

I see that eGullet is continuing its tradition of ignorance and arrogance.

The local produce is unsurpassed while it's IN SEASON. I buy eggs, milk, cheese, veggies, fruits, beef, lamb chicken; ALL locally raised organic and grass-fed. Visit some of the MANY farmers' markets in the area, as well as local farms, and you could totally live off what's available. One of the reasons that I would hesitate to move from this area is that it would be difficult to find such a cornucopia of locally-raised food.

Some of you people need to get your noses out of the air and/or pull your heads out of your asses.

It undermines the validity of your argument to accuse others of ignorance and arrogance when you fail to back up your claims with any evidence.

I have been going to the market for six months now and the only thing that I can say that is actually better than the supermarkets' are peaches when they were in season. Please name some other produce that are markedly better, as you say.

I think you have overestimated the strength of Austin-area agriculture compared to that of other cities. The farmers market in Baltimore is about 20 times in size. Even Farmer's Patch in little ol' College Station offers superior produce at prices that are 30% cheaper.

As I said, I like the farmers market a great deal. Good meats, but the produce is lacking.

Tremor,

Could you point me in the direction of your favorite farmers' markets and farms? I'm looking for apples right now, and Sunset Valley Farmers' Market had only one apple vendor, with only two types of apples, when I was there. I'd like to eat locally, but when the honey crisp apples at Central Market are so much tastier, I'll go with them.

dexygus

Just off the top of my head, besides the peaches you mentioned, the obvious superior produce at the markets would be tomatoes. However, the local blueberries, blackberries, and pecans are far above what's available in a store. The key, as I mentioned above, is IN SEASON.

Even when the actual taste may be similar (squash is squash), at the farmers markets you are getting produce that has most likely been picked the day before, vs. something that was picked weeks ago and shipped cross-country. Plus, you're not going to find a whole lot of carrots in August, but they are even that much better when you can get them in the spring.

The fact that our markets may be much smaller than in other cities is meaningless. Appreciate what is here. We have a LOT of farms in the area that offer fresh food raised with organic methods. I don't give a d*mn what they do in Baltimore.

Apples? For the most part, apples don't do that well in this climate. However, there's a guy that sometimes sells at the Austin Farmers Market (4th & Guadalupe). If he's there, his apples are great. If not, stick with Central Market. I buy Braeburn, Pink Lady, and Honeycrisp there, and I can't imagine autumn without them.

Nothing wrong with buying what you can't get locally. I'm just speaking against this attitude that "things are better elsewhere". So what? If you think things are better elsewhere, then move there.

As for things being more expensive (as in Boggy Creek Farm), yes, that is often the case. However, I would MUCH rather pay more to have fresh healthy food and SUPPORT THE LOCAL FARMERS than to have my money going to a huge farm in California. As things become more viable for our local people, prices will come down. It's been that way since the beginning of commerce...

Our local farmers can't make it if we all stick our noses in the air and say, "I can get better produce in Baltimore."

Here's a website that has some info on many of our local farms (you'll need to search for the Austin area).

http://www.localharvest.org/

The aformentioned Boggy Creek Farm is one of my favorites. Carol and Larry are great people, and they provide a real service to our area (besides the excellent produce).

http://www.boggycreekfarm.com/

I buy eggs and milk (and sometimes chicken) from these people (website is out of date, but they are current).

http://www.foodyoucantrust.com/

Their eggs are supposed to be available soon at Whole Foods. Currently, I drive out to their farm.

Another source for eggs and chicken (and other meats) is Alexander Family Farm. You may see them at Sunset Valley or Austin Farmers' markets, but their eggs are also available at Wheatsville Co-op.

I buy beef from Betsy Ross Farm. Her beef is also available at any area People's Pharmacy.

http://www.rossfarm.com/

Those are just a few of my favorites. Lots more out there.

Two points, first the price at Farmer's Markets. The vendors are merchants trying to make a return on their investment of the produce and other products they truck into the market to sell to buyers. THey are not in business to give it away. So while it might be a little more expensive than the local Wal-Mart or whatever. THe thing is you get to meet and know the person who grows your food. Try doing that at any large market. I speak from experience of being on the Board of Directors of my local farmers market. It is more than just a bunch of guys selling to the lowest bidder. For a lot of market vendors that I know, that is how they earn their income, it isn't done just for fun or to be cute. If you want a better selection, then get to know the growers, ask them what they can grow.

The other point, Kent, you baffle me, first you post pictures encouraging people to frequent the local farmer's market, then in the same thread you dump all over it, comparing it to Baltimore, for heaven's sake. Make up your mind. I have shopped the market on Guadalupe and while it was not as big as ours here in Tulsa, it was okay. I have seen worse markets and I have seen better. It all depends on funding. New Orleans has great markets, and I think some of them are open again, but they had funding from one of the local universities. Money helps.

Give your self a free education, get involved with your community beyond the ivory spires of the university.

Larry in Tulsa

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Heyyyyy! This is reminding me of Edward Tillerhands!

First, investigate the history of farmers' markets in Austin, especially the one up on Lamar (sorry, or is it Burnet?) and the plans for a 'mercado' in East Austin. People were still wearing black armbands for the demise of Casaraghi's and Bag o' Chicken when those debates and debacles began to crank up.

Face facts: Austin now has a fledgling farmer's market scene. It could be better, but it sure could - and has been - a lot worse. Educate yourself in what it takes to run a large truck garden or small farm.

Country club bitching from the 'you can't find good help anymore' school, does three things: erodes support and nurture for the new markets, pre-conditions attitudes about the value of these markets, and marks the bitchor as someone who only knows megamarts, organic or no, and while spouting the Alice Waters mantra, thrashes the produce clerk with their organic cotton shopping bag, demanding to know why there are no fraises de bois in dead December.

Visit other markets. Come on up to Big Duh and check it out: City support went to build a fancy shed to sell furniture, paper flowers, and tchatchkes in ... not produce. Developers are hovering like pterodactyls chanting their Black Mass of "Highest and Best Use! Highest and Best Use!" (ie: they want to tear it down and have the City give tax breaks to them for building more high end condos, lofts, and apts, leaving downtown with only one, small sorta grocery store ... at the other end of downtown.

I will say at the outset that this is not a comparison, nor should it be. But if you want to shoot for the stars and educate yourself, and have one hell of a good time, visit the Ferry Bldg market in San Francisco. The City put a HUGE amount of support behind the refurbishing of that bldg, not to mention the bldg itself, plus helping the market get going. It is just tremendous. I spent a few Saturdays there with someone helping them w/their stall, and just wandering and taking photos. That is the kind of urban gathering and exchange I should think any city would love to have, and Austin could and should.

I left the Bay Area, as I often do, sad and frustrated. If there is a pulse like that here in Texas, it is quite thready. This is a state gifted with microclimates in which almost anything can have its season and soil in which to grow. We have a burgeoning wine industry, and there are, obviously, people out thre growing wonderful, hard to find varieties. It is going to take a lot of support from many different sources to stimulate and nurture the real food business in Texas. It is so ripe for it.

Think about putting some of your energies there. Local chefs and restaurants will benefit, hell, everyone will benefit.

It's just a whole lot harder to do than sitting around carping about it.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Let me add a resounding "here! here!" to what theobroma said. The Houston scene has long been dismal compared to a lot of places. Hell . . . The City was even throwing huge monkey wrenches into the fledgling efforts of Monica Pope, et al. (And may they persevere.)

But, when I visit my daughter in DC and see the scene that is there on Capitol Hill (I forget the name of the market) I just want to weep. But . . . someone needs to be sure that the providers are providing things that will appeal and get the price they need. I will not pay a huge premium for an organic zucchini anywhere. I will pay a reasonable premium for some heirloom squash that I am curious about.

We have a long way to go here in Texas, but I think Austin is in the lead.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

To continue the discussion on the Austin Area Farmers Markets, here is a copy of the weekly email from Angel Valley Organic Farms

Greetings!

As most of you already know, this Saturday is our annual Open Farm Day.  Instead of selling our produce at the usual location in Jonestown, we'll have our market here at the farm from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. 

Dana, Paula and I will be here to help guide you to a parking space, and check you through with your groceries. 

Dale Albright will be providing live music (perhaps together with other musicians) during the first part of the day, for your shopping pleasure.

Farmer John will be wandering aimlessly throughout the farm, eagerly awaiting the company of anyone interested in having a look around.  Please join him, if you'd like.  It'll make him feel useful....

Here's what we'll have for you, just in time for your Thanksgiving feast:

Loads of broccoli (talk about perfect timing!); lettuces (lots of butterhead, along with romaine, butterhead hearts and green leaf); tender lettuce mix; oodles of chard (bags of medium-sized leaves); bunches of brussels greens; bunches of collards; bunches of Red Russian kale and Dinosaur kale; bunches of purple beets; bunches of sweet white turnips; small bags of arugula; Japanese eggplant; a few bunches of dandelion greens; and some of this and some of that.  [We're still assessing the situation after last night's hard freeze -- 21 degrees here --

but we're hoping to also have green bell peppers, cubanelle peppers, the last of the kohlrabi and some fall tomatoes.] 

**To get to the farm:  From "downtown" Jonestown, drive east on 1431 about 2 miles or so.  Turn right on Lonesome Creek Trail.  That's the entrance to our development, and the gate will be open.  Follow the temporary signs down to the farm.  We hope to see you here!

Thanks!

Jo Dwyer

Angel Valley Organic Farm

http://www.angelvalleyfarms.com

Farm stands:

In Jonestown, at the Plaza Center on FM 1431 in front of the Jonestown Library, Saturdays 10:00-2:00

In Austin, in front of the Asian American Cultural Center on Jollyville Road (between Oak Knoll and Duval), Wednesdays 10:00-2:00

Their web site is www.angelvalleyfarms.com

Sounds like a fun day trip to me, and it isn't all that far for you city folks, think Green Acres and go for it.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

The other point,  Kent, you baffle me,  first you post pictures encouraging people to frequent the local farmer's market, then in the same thread you dump all over it, comparing it to Baltimore, for heaven's sake.  Make up your mind.

Give your self a free education, get involved with your community beyond the ivory spires of the university. 

I believe you mean ivory tower.

I baffle you? Nothing I posted has been contradictory. You know it's possible to have an opinion beyond just blanket good or bad, right? As I've been saying all along, great meats, sub-par produce. How is this baffling to you?

Country club bitching from the 'you can't find good help anymore' school, does three things:  erodes support and nurture for the new markets, pre-conditions attitudes about the value of these markets, and marks the bitchor as someone who only knows megamarts, organic or no, and while spouting the Alice Waters mantra, thrashes the produce clerk with their organic cotton shopping bag, demanding to know why there are no fraises de bois in dead December.

Where is this 'country club bitching' you're talking about? Are you referring to something I've said? If so, please quote it so that I can understand where I have committed this heinous crime of 'country club bitching' so that I can correct myself. Or are you just being dramatic, or maybe you're employing the strawman argument?

I am well aware of the value of supporting local farms, but I'm certainly not about to buy inferior products to do that. I'd rather donate my money to a farmers charity instead. To me, the farmers market is like any free-market, in the economic sense, so I pay for value. If they present superior value (quality per cost), I'll pay for it. If not, but I still want to see the growth of Austin agriculture, then I'll just donate that money to a farmers charity.

Don't forget artisan chocolate. At the Downtown Farmers' Market, 4th and Guadalupe, north of the river, are Kakawa Cocoa Beans. They're great! I should know, I've been selling them there for a year, through the 107 degree summers, cold rainy winters, and windy days where tents can fly away. It's bare-knuckles commerce out there and every one of the vendors is putting their heart and soul into what they're doing. Come on out and support local vendors. Every dollar spent is a vote for a better quality of life.

Cheers!

Tom

• 5 months later...

After being gone for a month I was pleasantly surprised when I returned the market today.

Pasta & Co. are now selling their fresh pastas there.

Full Quiver Farms has a much expanded selection of cuts of pork. They and another vendor whose name I don't recall are also "selling" fresh unpasteurized milk. For legal reasons they're not technically selling the milk but rather you are investing a share in the cow and getting paid milk dividends. My investment advice: buy buy buy!

It's now strawberry season. Nearly every vendor has tons of very ripe, dark red strawberries.

• 3 months later...

The Soup Peddler is now peddling his wares there.

My favorite new vendor is Texas Quail Farms. Fresh, unfrozen quail, whole, deboned, semi-deboned. Undoubtedly the juiciest quail I have ever had. They sell raw quail eggs, too.

• 1 month later...

Austin Chronicle repots:

The most exciting news we've heard in quite a while is a USDA bulletin announcing the distribution of $900,000 worth of grants to establish, expand, and promote farmers' markets around the country through the Farmers Market Promotion Program. The Sunset Valley Farmers Market is receiving a grant for $67,950 to "design a permanent market structure facility that incorporates conservation and environmentally sustainable principles in its architectural or design elements in order to enhance the efficiency, utility, and visual appeal of the market structure." Market founder Pamela Boyar tells us that once the facility is designed, it will be built on a parcel of land recently purchased by the city of Sunset Valley just north of the Toney Burger parking lot where the market sets up now. A pavilion, commercial kitchen, and amphitheatre are planned along with plenty of parking. The new facilities will be a genuine asset to the entire community.
Edited by Kent Wang (log)