• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KC Metro - Room 39

moosnsqrl

A friend turned me onto Room 39 this summer. We had a fabulous breakfast there (I swore they put opium in the eggs...5 minutes after you left, you were craving more of them!) but I hadn't made it in for lunch until today.

I had a wonderfully delicate trout, lightly napped with a classic lemon/butter/caper sauce, a swirl of spaghetti squash atop and perfectly smooth mashed potatoes. My companion enjoyed his butternut squash soup and roasted pork sandwich as well, as evidenced by the fact that he didn't share, even after I gave him a bite of my trout. :angry:

They have a rudimentary website (er, page) with the basic info here. If you're looking for some good, straight-forward food, check them out.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

What kind of people are you eating with?!? We always share at my table! :wink:

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

What kind of people are you eating with?!?  We always share at my table!  :wink:

A co-worker...who is somewhat paranoid about ingredients, germs and the like, so I forgave him.

I'm with you on the sharing; I've seen some horrified looks on the faces at neighboring tables the way we pass food around. It's like watching a big, dysfunctional family having a food fight but it is a great way to try lots of things.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I love the Pork Tenderloin Sandwich. I drive back home to KC (from Denver) just so I can eat there for lunch. Well that might not be the ONLY reason but it sure is a great one! One of my favorite things about that place is you are getting NYC Restaurant Trained Chefs to make tasty wonderful food for a very low price. Because of that, I don't hesitate to order multiple courses even with my college budget ;)

I guys that run that place are awesome, great people and they totally deserve KC's Business.

What kind of people are you eating with?!?  We always share at my table!   :wink:

A co-worker...who is somewhat paranoid about ingredients, germs and the like, so I forgave him.

I'm with you on the sharing; I've seen some horrified looks on the faces at neighboring tables the way we pass food around. It's like watching a big, dysfunctional family having a food fight but it is a great way to try lots of things.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

I guys that run that place are awesome, great people and they totally deserve KC's Business.

Agreed. It's amazing to enjoy a wonderful meal like that for two, get the check, and it's less than comparable meals at mediocre chains. Let's keep this amongst ourselves, though. I don't want to encourage them to raise their prices.

M.F.K. Fisher

I'm with you on the sharing; I've seen some horrified looks on the faces at neighboring tables the way we pass food around.  It's like watching a big, dysfunctional family having a food fight but it is a great way to try lots of things.

The next time I come up to KC, can i get in touch with you all? Part of the fun is sharing a taste of something that is really good. And I have eaten at Room 39. I found it a couple of weeks ago when i was up and loved it.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 3 weeks later...

moosnsqrl and I had lunch not to long ago and it was nice to see the staff growing.

I remember seeing one server and one host (one of the owners) out in the front of the house. Now that it seems to be a hot spot, it's even more alive. The ambience has grown, you can just feel the love for food in the room. This restaurant is a great example for why I love food and its business.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Hey, I'll be headed to K.C. after a sejour abroad in Europe.... Have not heard of Room 39, so it must be relatively new? Thanks for the update and review!

U.E.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Hey, I'll be headed to K.C. after a sejour abroad in Europe.... Have not heard of Room 39, so it must be relatively new? Thanks for the update and review!

U.E.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 1 month later...

Just thought it would be nice to let everyone know that Room 39 provided lunch at the American Restaurant for all the workers of the James Beard 06' Dinner. The Lasagna hit the spot!

Edited by JWest (log)

Just thought it would be nice to let everyone know that Room 39 provided lunch at the American Restaurant for all the workers of the James Beard 06' Dinner. The Lasagna hit the spot!

Hmmm, I've never known them to have pasta on the menu. They're gearing-up for Mon-Wed dinner service soon, so maybe they'll start offering it. Or maybe they just figured the Beard workers needed to carbo-load. :wink:

M.F.K. Fisher

• 4 months later...

Just had breakfast for the first time...

I tried getting breakfast one time but I got the lunch menu so I figured it was too late but this time I asked about it and they were still offering breakfast around 11ish so the server brought both lunch and breakfast menus.

Spanish Omelet is good stuff.. and the place was BUSY! It makes me happy to see places like RM 39 do well.. Probably my favorite restaurant to eat anytime of the day. I need to come in for Dinner, looking forward to it ... hmm I've got a couple of days off, maybe I'll go in again. :biggrin:

Thanks Joe for the update. I'm down on the Plaza a lot these days, I should definitely roll in for lunch or dinner sometime.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Just had breakfast for the first time...

I tried getting breakfast one time but I got the lunch menu so I figured it was too late but this time I asked about it and they were still offering breakfast around 11ish so the server brought both lunch and breakfast menus.

Spanish Omelet is good stuff.. and the place was BUSY!  It makes me happy to see places like RM 39 do well.. Probably my favorite restaurant to eat anytime of the day. I need to come in for Dinner, looking forward to it ... hmm I've got a couple of days off, maybe I'll go in again.  :biggrin:

Good to see you today Joe.

I had a quick bit for lunch at 39 today. It is my favorite place to have lunch in KC. I have not had a bad meal there. Always Fresh, Tasty and In Season. :biggrin: I eat there regularly and would probly say that more Chefs eat there for lunch than any other restaurant in KC.

I shared the fried green tomato app with fresh crab salad, poached shrimp and creole remoulade, then their veggie burger with a side of kale instead of fries. everything was very good. My friend had the Pork Sandwich which is one of my favorites. He loved it. It is very busy most of the time, but well worth the wait if you have to.

It is easier to change a menu than a growing season.

Thanks for the heads up on this place. Definately on my goto list.

In browsing the breakfast menu I noticed Biscuits and Italian Sausage Gravy. The Italian Sausage part of this strikes me as odd. (Fennel with my starch and pig fat?)Anyone try this? How is it?

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

In browsing the breakfast menu I noticed Biscuits and Italian Sausage Gravy. The Italian Sausage part of this strikes me as odd. (Fennel with my starch and pig fat?)Anyone try this? How is it?

While I haven't had the Room 39 version, I can personally attest that the flavor combination has worked wonderfully (for me).

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

My parents have started going to Room 39 for breakfast lately, and have been going on and on about it. I have to make it over there soon. Getting my father to eat breakfast anywhere besides Chubby's or Bell St. Mama's is nothing short of a miracle, so it really had to make a huge impression.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

My parents have started going to Room 39 for breakfast lately, and have been going on and on about it.  I have to make it over there soon.  Getting my father to eat breakfast anywhere besides Chubby's or Bell St. Mama's is nothing short of a miracle, so it really had to make a huge impression.

We're convinced the put opiates in their eggs. They are positively addictive. And the toast. The toast!

M.F.K. Fisher

My parents have started going to Room 39 for breakfast lately, and have been going on and on about it.  I have to make it over there soon.  Getting my father to eat breakfast anywhere besides Chubby's or Bell St. Mama's is nothing short of a miracle, so it really had to make a huge impression.

I used to love Chubby's. The last time I was there it was less than great. Well, less than good actually.

Edited by chileheadmike (log)

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I have had their Biscuts and Gravy. I liked them the gravy was very good and the flavor combo is right on, must have a couple over easy with them. The biscuts are good but not great. I am a picky biscut eater though. They aren't my mamma's biscuts growing up on the farm. But I do like 39's. Spanish Omlette is a must. Brioche french toast is really good. Friday and Saturday they do a Steak and Eggs Benedict that is to die for.

The last time I was there, the italian sausage gravy just didn't do it for me. I guess I am too old fashioned. But now the french toast, now that is some good eatn' as they might say back home. God, what excuse do I have to think up to go back up there, help me think of a good one. Please.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally made it Room 39 for lunch. While I didn't get the opportunity to get a full feel of the place, my lunch-mate and I were pleased with our selections.

I had a Grilled Free Range Chicken Salad: grilled free range chicken breast over mixed greens with dried cranberries, roasted nuts, Grana Padana cheese and a sherry-rosemary vinaigrette. ($9)

I was quite pleased. The breast had been grilled but retained an amazing amount of moisture. I hadn't had chicken in a very long time (I avoid unless it's organic/free range) and had nearly forgotten how wonderful a juicy piece of breast meat could be. The greens were crisp and fresh. My favorite element on the plate, however, was how the sharp and salty Grana Padana cheese slightly softened on the hot chicken breast meat. I also loved the dried cranberries - which were also very moist. The nuts included a mix of walnuts, almonds and pecans. Not complicated or fussy - just simple and good.

My friend had the Roast Beef Au Jus Sandwich: slices of roast beef, arugula, and caremlized red onions sandwiched between French baguette slathered with garlic aioli. The sandwich came with a side of dipping "jus" and a hearty helping of the "Roommade" fries. ($10)

I didn't get to taste it, but my friend *loved* the sandwich. She finished the whole thing without a problem. It looked and smelled very good. She also commented that the "Roommade" fries were stellar.

They also had a salad on the menu that day that I had really considered: white truffled egg salad on greens with roasted baby beets. I saw another diner with it, and it looked great. Also, the sandwiches coming out of the kitchen (going to other tables) all looked and smelled wonderful.

I look forward to visiting more - perhaps for dinner sometime too! Has anyone been in the evening?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I finally made it Room 39 for lunch.  While I didn't get the opportunity to get a full feel of the place, my lunch-mate and I were pleased with our selections.

I had a Grilled Free Range Chicken Salad: grilled free range chicken breast over mixed greens with dried cranberries, roasted nuts, Grana Padana cheese and a sherry-rosemary vinaigrette.  ($9)

I was quite pleased.  The breast had been grilled but retained an amazing amount of moisture.  I hadn't had chicken in a very long time (I avoid unless it's organic/free range) and had nearly forgotten how wonderful a juicy piece of breast meat could be.  The greens were crisp and fresh.  My favorite element on the plate, however, was how the sharp and salty Grana Padana cheese slightly softened on the hot chicken breast meat.  I also loved the dried cranberries - which were also very moist.  The nuts included a mix of walnuts, almonds and pecans.  Not complicated or fussy - just simple and good.

My friend had the Roast Beef Au Jus Sandwich: slices of roast beef, arugula, and caremlized red onions sandwiched between French baguette slathered with garlic aioli.  The sandwich came with a side of dipping "jus" and a hearty helping of the "Roommade" fries. ($10)

I didn't get to taste it, but my friend *loved* the sandwich.  She finished the whole thing without a problem.  It looked and smelled very good.  She also commented that the "Roommade" fries were stellar.

They also had a salad on the menu that day that I had really considered: white truffled egg salad on greens with roasted baby beets.  I saw another diner with it, and it looked great.  Also, the sandwiches coming out of the kitchen (going to other tables) all looked and smelled wonderful. 

I look forward to visiting more - perhaps for dinner sometime too!  Has anyone been in the evening?

I have been in for dinner a couple of times. It is great. Like lunch it is simple and straight forward and perfectly executed.

• 9 months later...

I finally made it to dinner at Room 39 last week and was not disappointed. I had a steak and barley soup and a pork chop with polenta, both of which were truly delicious and (need I say it?) very hearty and satisfying. My friend enjoyed a frisee salad w/lardons, warm egg, vinaigrette and a seared rare tuna with wasabi mashed potatoes. I only got a quick bite of the salad but the balance of acid to oil/egg/lardons was spot-on. As my friend was traveling, I got her doggy-bag and the tuna and mashers were great, even the next day. I was worried about the potatoes - I love wasabi in its place and who doesn't love mashed potatoes? - but had studiously avoided the combination since they started appearing on menus. I was very pleasantly surprised at how harmonious and mild the mixture was.

No room for dessert on that trip - maybe next time.

I just noticed in the midst of this post (trying to refresh my memory of wine pairings :rolleyes:) that they have an entirely new, springier menu, so looks like another visit will be required soon.

M.F.K. Fisher