• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NapaStyle knives at Costco

pkee

This time it's Chiarello's turn at knives. I just swung by Costco and they had Napastyle santoku (a 5, 7, and 9") set for under $50. Sheaths are included. They are nice to hold. I like things a tad sharper yet. I haven't had a chance to sharpen them to see now well they hold an edge. They are made in China w/ German steel. There is reasonable heft. Full tang, ergonomic handle. Must have used a hydrophilic rubber, my hand was slightly wet when I grabbed the handle and I wasn't going to slip.

Anyone else try them yet?

Pam

chicago costco or somewhere else?

San Francisco area . . . it's probably for the holiday season so it should be nationwide.

FYI, after I sharpened it a bit, the edge holds nicely. It's was effortless to prep the veggies and fruit. Must admit, with the kids around, the sheath for each knife is a nice touch :)

Pam

Pam

I saw them @ Costco today on sale! It's now $39.95 for the set of three knives. I tried it out this eveing and it served me well. I was able to slice onion paper thin w/ ease. It also worked well on the butternut squash. It's probably not as good as some of the high end knives, but at this price, I think the quality is pretty darn good. Oh yeah, I got them at the Costco at Colma. :rolleyes:

yes its available in chicagoland area also

price is $50

couldn't get myself to buy it - though it was not an easy sell to put them down.

bought a fabreware instead from a walmart next door for $10 (7").

works fine...

Maybe we are getting to a point where kitchen knives are disposable: buy a cheap set made in China or Brazil, use with a steel for a year or so, then replace with another set. Just like telephones, DVD players, even cameras...

Maybe we are getting to a point where kitchen knives are disposable: buy a cheap set made in China or Brazil, use with a steel for a year or so, then replace with another set. Just like telephones, DVD players, even cameras...

Perhaps for some, for some of us it's an extension of our hands. I don't want to think about getting used to other knives than what I use.

:biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Forget it, spend the same money and buy one decent knife to start, and keep at it. Knives are worth the money, knives are worth the money, repeat after me.... it's like fine cookware, you pay for it once and it lasts or generations.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

after my active participation in the cooking world (initially it was just passive-eating) - I understand the importance of having a good knife, actually a good tool for a particular job.

however, I do come from a culture where knives are usually around $0.05 and a little better ones are around $0.40. So its a little difficult to fork over $50 in knives.

Actually I do own 1 chicago cutlery, 1 tramontina, 1 jaHenckels and a bunch of other no-names. All are sets with atleast 1 chef's. And yes my experience with them has made me learn the importance of a good knife.

Maybe what I'm really getting at is the amazing Quality-Price-Ratio of many if not most, Chinese goods. We all know why they are are low cost, and when considering knives, it is possible that some of our beloved brands can be duplicated, right down to meticulous hand finishing, at a fractrion of the cost. Hence, disposable, or discardable. I don't know if this is true, as I have held on to my Euro-knives for years. But I'm willing to try some of the new imports, just to see if they are the real thing.