• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using beer in cocktails

spiritchild

Bringing out this thread - since recently i got fascinated by the idea - most probably because i loved Beaumont's Green Devil (rinse of Pernod, Martin Miller's gin, Duvel) cocktail so much.

Some interesting recipes appeared in Oct issue of Food Arts: Beer Tails, and i tried Jugador tonight - made it with Plymouth gin and Stone IPA though. It came out nice: gin and ale have a certain flavor synergy, but still it was a bit muted...

Edited by helenas (log)

The Posset is a medieval English drink, in its simplest form just beer, milk and/or cream and spices heated up. A lot of posset recipes went on to become very complicated.

More info here: Wikipedia entry for posset

A team from the UK won the 2006 42 Below vodka Cocktail World Cup with an updated version of a posset:

Friar Briar's Sack Posset

2 eggs (yolk only)

1 heaped teaspoon honey

80ml double cream

80ml 42 Below Manuka Honey Vodka

80ml Speights Old Dark Ale

20ml Tahiti Dark rum

5ml Benedictine

Dash Angostura bitters

Whisk all ingredients and warm on a stove. Pour into teacup and char with red hot poker before serving. Garnish with ground cinnamon and grated nutmeg

It really is one heck of a delicious drink, perfect for cold winters evenings.

You can see a video of the guys making it on stage here: Youtube video of the final, the posset is made 4 minutes in

Cheers,

Matt

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

As a lover of strong, rich, complex dark imperial stouts, belgian quadruples, and barley wines, I do enjoy attempts at taking them even further.

I really enjoyed a dark belgian strong ale with a touch of Pedro Ximenez Sherry and Meyer's rum. (don't know if it's got a name already).

Regardless, without trying to stir up any old debate about whether a beer cocktail is an abomination of both a beer and a cocktail, what is a beer cocktail you like?

-Steve

http://www.cocktailhall.org

The Penn Shandy. I think I found it on starchefs but I'm not 100% sure about that. Anyway...

Ginger-Infused Bluecoat Gin:

1/2 pound ginger, peeled against the grain into 1/4 inch slices

1 750-milliliter bottle Bluecoat gin

Cocktail:

1 bottle Victory Prima Pils beer

1 ounce ginger-infused gin

1 ounce fresh lime juice

1 ounce simple syrup

1 twist lemon

For the Ginger-Infused Bluecoat Gin:

Combine the peeled ginger with the gin in a blender and puree. Using a fine mesh strainer, separate the pulp from the gin. Store the gin in a tightly sealed bottle.

For the Cocktail:

Pour the beer into a Pilsner glass. In a shaker, combine ginger-infused gin, lime juice, and simple syrup. Add ice, shake, and strain into the glass. Garnish with the twist of lemon.

Edit: Yep, it was on starchefs.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I didn't get to it last time I was there, but Anvil in Houston is currently doing a Stout Flip with Blackstrap Rum that came highly recommended. Hopefully I can make it back before the menu changes to try it.

PDT used to do one too, with Blackstrap Rum, chocolate stout, and a whole egg. I'm sure I don't need to tell you it was divine.

I didn't get to it last time I was there, but Anvil in Houston is currently doing a Stout Flip with Blackstrap Rum that came highly recommended. Hopefully I can make it back before the menu changes to try it.

PDT used to do one too, with Blackstrap Rum, chocolate stout, and a whole egg. I'm sure I don't need to tell you it was divine.

Hadn't seen that one. I found the recipe and will be trying it soon... conveniently, I have all of the components on hand.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Yeah Bobby was telling me how they spent a whole afternoon trying out flip combos and that one was most awesome. They then discovered that PDT had done virtually the exact same drink. Great minds and all that...

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Speaking of a Dark Rum/Stout Flip, Daniel Eun served me a riff on a drink he ID'ed as the Black Flip from Jim Meehan. Daniel didn't quite have the exact ingredients, so he was trying to use certain ingredients to emulate it. I think it went something like this:

1.5 oz Oatmeal Stout

1.5 oz Dark Rum (I think it was actually 1/2 Lemonhart 151 and 1/2 Mathusalem Gran Reserva)

1/2 oz simple

2 dashes Ango

2 dashes Fee's Aztec Chocolate Bitters

1 egg

Dry Shake, Shake, Strain, Goblet

Grated Nutmeg

I made several of these this winter.

Edited by campus five (log)

And apparently it's still on the menu - Time Out lists the recipe here.

• 3 years later...

Reviving this old thread because of my recent experiments with a Stout Syrup I made. So, what do I immediately do with a new syrup, once I have used it for the drink I created it for? Old Fashioned time!

1.5 Oz Rye(Rittenhouse)

1 tsp Stout Syrup

2 ds Angostura

Lovely rich drink. Still clearly an OF, but with a nice maltiness, both on the nose and the sip. This is a great way to combine my love of beer and cocktails!