• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My House Smells Like Thanksgiving

Kim Shook

I'm cooking with my sister, my lovely amazing sister! Yay! I DO want to move back to Miami ASAP, but I'm making the best of my time here in the frozen tundra that is New Jersey by spending as much time as possible with my sister and her family. This year, although we're not really doing a lot, we'll have 3 turkeys, just so that there will be a lot of leftovers, aren't we crazy? Kosher(we just like the way they taste), so no brining necessary. Each with different seasonings, all basted liberally, though.

My partner in poultry overkill might make a ham, too, but that doesn't concern ME :wink: .

We're making fresh green beans, hashu(meat and rice stuffing), bread stuffingfor the kids, garlic mashed yukon golds, sweet potatoes in a casserole, a huge mixed green salad with artichoke hearts, black olives, tomatoes and fresh chopped garlic, candied carrots, steamed vegetables (you name it, we stick it in the steamer), meat stuffing(sis is on a no carb diet this week :laugh: ) and 'creamed' spinach.

I'm undecided on dessert as yet, but there will be at least 4 bottles of good wine, red; and I don't care what people say about white with poultry. Maybe if we give the kids raspberries and strawberries with some sort of delicate cookie we'll call it a day. I'm bringing fresh cranberry sauce, but we secretly like the canned stuff, so that will be there, too.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Are you going out?  Cooking?  Be sure to give us a before and after report.  If you are dining out be sure to let us know where and how it was.

We're just having a quiet dinner with us and the kids. They aren't into turkey so the current plan is to have cornish game hens with a thai green curry sauce, stuffing (made from fresh potato bread), green salad with lots of yummy stuff added in and green beans with garlic/lemon/olive oil.

Most likely leftover birthday cake for dessert (I'm in the middlel of baking it right now!).

AlisonA

changed to correct thai chili to thai curry

Edited by AlisonA (log)

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

We are cooking at home in Union, NJ.    We are making the Turkey  brining it and then putting butter under the skin etc.  Last year we had it fried and it was really good but every year we go for something different.  Bread, salad, and then the sides mashed potato, corn pudding, miniature veggies.    Pumpkin pie and Birthday cake for my dd.    Party of 8 people.

Hopefully it will turn out well.  Happy thanksgiving

Hi Popover! Good to see someone else on Egullet is from Union. I'll be enjoying Thanksgiving dinner at my sister in law's house; also in Union. Just a traditional oven baked turkey with all the usual sides. She makes a pretty good lasagna also. But I would be happy to dine on hot dogs and premium beer while watching football. By the way, which do you prefer out of Union's well known hot dog joints; Galloping Hill Inn or Syd's?

John the hot dog guy

Hey, I'm a New Jerseyan in exile in Texas, but can I cast my vote for Galloping Hill?! Love that place... went there all the time as a kid back in the 60s.

This year Thanksgiving's here in Austin; it'll just be me, my husband and our new little twin sons... (they'll be doing turkey too, though).

P.S. Hi, Rosie--good to see everyone in NJ's still eating...

An odd alien wench

so far i have turkey breasts brining, a chocolate chimay cake and a cinnamon streusel coffee cake out of the oven, and a set of portugese sweet bread about to take the second rise. there is a pot of chili on the stove for dinner tomorrow night. with the weather iffy i think john will head for his mom's later in the day (about 8pm) tomorrow bearing all of the above - including the turkey cooked off with gravy and a green bean casserole made from scratch. i just pulled two packs of wax and green beans i put up when they were in season out of the freezer and i have some pearl onions, crimini, oyster and shitake mushrooms i'll incorporate into a sauce. i DO have to use the durkee fried onion rings to top it though.

i'm thinking of making a mac and cheese, have some green beans or broccoli with garlic and maybe some onion soup....

happy holiday to all

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

After I drop off homemade carrot cake cupcakes and a cheesecake at a Thanksgiving meal for the homeless in Hackensack, it will be off to the Village Inn in Wayne with my parents, husband and son. It's going to feel strange not cooking. Everyone be safe......the weather might not be cooperating!

Are you going out?  Cooking?  Be sure to give us a before and after report.  If you are dining out be sure to let us know where and how it was.

We're just having a quiet dinner with us and the kids. They aren't into turkey so the current plan is to have cornish game hens with a thai green curry sauce, stuffing (made from fresh potato bread), green salad with lots of yummy stuff added in and green beans with garlic/lemon/olive oil.

Most likely leftover birthday cake for dessert (I'm in the middlel of baking it right now!).

AlisonA

changed to correct thai chili to thai curry

Changed this (again, but you didn't see the earlier renditions) :raz: . Now we'll be having the game hens tonight and a "honey & mole" glazed ham tomorrow as well as cauliflower with blue cheese.

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

• 11 months later...

We are having it at our house - first time for both sides of the family -- so around 14 for dinner and more for dessert!!

I think we are going to cook 2 15 lb turkeys instead of 1 30 lb - My husband brines the turkey ala Alton Brown and it is FANTASTIC!

We have 2 stuffings one corn and one sage/rosemary - because my mom and I can't agree on just one.

Then we have the sides, creamed cauliflower, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnips, maybe a green bean salad, homemade cranberry sauce and the canned gunk for those who still have to have it.

And since my Italian in laws are coming they are bringing the pasta with meatballs.

Then my sister in law who makes the best desserts is making pecan pie, pumpkin pie and chocolate cream pie (my favorite) and hopefully my Mom is making her pumpkin bread.

Usually before bed when everyone is gone my husband and I go back for some leftover stuffing with gravy -- jeez he even eats it the next morning cold. ughhh

Have a happy Day everyone!

Depressing this year. We have a sick relative out on eastern LI, so plans are still in flux. I may cook the free turkey from Shop Rite, or we may be eating out (but only because my folks will pay) I'm not looking forward to eating out, because the restaurant last year gave us copious amounts of brussel sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower (talk about spontaneous combustion), and a thimble-ful of turkey. We have such a small family that cooking a turkey and all the trimmings is actually 'fun'.

I'm also going to help at a soup kitchen in Hackensack for Clean Up duty.

Gobble, gobble, everyone.

Menu:

We will start the day with Cranberry Scones ( a cooking light recipe that is great!) and Mexican Coffee from WF

At 1pm:

Eggplant and Goat Cheese Crostini

Argyle Champagne ( it was rated a 94...we'll see)

Dinner:

- Roasted Free Range Turkey ( From Vacchiano Farms) with herbs and mushroom gravy.

- Paula Deen's Ol #7 yams..candied yams with Bourbon

- NW Mushroom Stuffing

- Mashed Potatoes

- Sauteed Artichoke Hearts with lemon and garlic

- Skillet Brussel Sprouts ( Lidia Bastianich Recipe)

- Roasted Beets

- Cranberry Relish with Candied Ginger and Kumquats

- Cranberry Sauce with Dried Cherries

- Leitz Weingut 2004 Rudesheimer Magdalenenkreuz Spatlese Reisling

- 2004 Hartley Ostini Hitching Post Pinot Noir

Intermission:

Chestnuts, Dates and figs

Dessert:

Harvest Pie ( apple, pear & cranberry)

Pumpkin and Hazelnut Pie

More of that great Mexican Coffee

Belle de Brillet Pear Cognac

Edited by Cook456 (log)

Menu:

We will start the day with Cranberry Scones  ( a cooking light recipe that is great!) and  Mexican Coffee from WF

At 1pm:

Eggplant and Goat Cheese Crostini

Argyle Champagne  ( it was rated a 94...we'll see)

Dinner:

- Roasted Free Range Turkey ( From Vacchiano Farms) with herbs and mushroom gravy.

- Paula Deen's  Ol #7 yams..candied yams with Bourbon

- NW Mushroom Stuffing

- Mashed Potatoes

- Sauteed Artichoke Hearts with lemon and garlic

- Skillet Brussel Sprouts ( Lidia Bastianich Recipe)

- Roasted Beets

- Cranberry Relish with Candied Ginger and Kumquats

- Cranberry Sauce with Dried Cherries

- Leitz Weingut 2004 Rudesheimer Magdalenenkreuz Spatlese Reisling

- 2004 Hartley Ostini Hitching Post Pinot Noir

Intermission:

Chestnuts, Dates and figs

Dessert:

Harvest  Pie  ( apple, pear & cranberry)

Pumpkin and Hazelnut Pie

More of that great Mexican Coffee

Belle de Brillet Pear Cognac

This is for three?