• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My House Smells Like Thanksgiving

Kim Shook

Belle de Brillet Pear Cognac

Cook, this is one of my favorite things on the PLANET! Where are you buying it around here? I always have to con my dad in to bringing it up from Maryland...of course, then I also don't end up paying for it, but that's another story! :raz: I've never seen it in northern NJ.

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Curlz, check out shopper's vineyard in Clifton, NJ

http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/bellede/be...andy-32736.html

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Menu:

We will start the day with Cranberry Scones  ( a cooking light recipe that is great!) and  Mexican Coffee from WF

At 1pm:

Eggplant and Goat Cheese Crostini

Argyle Champagne  ( it was rated a 94...we'll see)

Dinner:

- Roasted Free Range Turkey ( From Vacchiano Farms) with herbs and mushroom gravy.

- Paula Deen's  Ol #7 yams..candied yams with Bourbon

- NW Mushroom Stuffing

- Mashed Potatoes

- Sauteed Artichoke Hearts with lemon and garlic

- Skillet Brussel Sprouts ( from Lidia Bastianich's book "Family Table")

- Roasted Beets

- Cranberry Relish with Candied Ginger and Kumquats

- Cranberry Sauce with Dried Cherries

- Leitz Weingut 2004 Rudesheimer Magdalenenkreuz Spatlese Reisling

- 2004 Hartley Ostini Hitching Post Pinot Noir  ( this is the wine they drank in the movie 'Sideways" )

Intermission:

Chestnuts, Dates and figs

Dessert:

Harvest  Pie  ( apple, pear & cranberry)

Pumpkin and Hazelnut Pie

More of that great Mexican Coffee

This is for three?

LOL...Would you believe YES ??

My brother is a chef, so dinners are not simple. :-) I have my "assignments" , so it's not all on him.

Also..It's always nice to make more and have plenty of leftovers to enjoy on the weekend.

Edited by Cook456 (log)

Cook, this is one of my favorite things on the PLANET! Where are you buying it around here? I always have to con my dad in to bringing it up from Maryland...of course, then I also don't end up paying for it, but that's another story! :raz: I've never seen it in northern NJ.

Curlz

Curlz,

After looking high and low for it, including Shoppers Vineyard, I actually bought it in NYC at Morrell's. My cousin lives in Hoboken, and she had Sparrow Wine & Liquor order a case for her..Do you think we love this stuff, too??

Edited by Cook456 (log)

It's been a while since I last checked, but neither Total nor Wine Library had it, nor could they get it for some reason. ????

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Heh not much going on here. Just the 2 of us & 7 cats, 3 of whom always pretend they're starving come dinnertime.

I eschewed turkey some years ago when many of our friends scattered & we no longer had big Thanksgiving dinners. Those birds are just too big. These days I'll do a simple roast chicken & whatever veggies strike my fancy when I go shopping next week.

And I just got a bottle of Salvati EVOO, $14 the liter, and it's wonderfully green & fragrant, better than many I've had at twice the price. We'll have that on the salad & I'll give thanks that I can still afford these little luxuries.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

we're going next door to the cousins--will be around 30 or so.

they are making two turkeys--one brined and one fried.

My job is the fun part--the veggies

don't know exactly what all yet--untill I go to the farm stand and Shop-Rite

so far I know it'll be

creamed onions with fresh herbs--it's only once a year that i make these.

roasted asparagus (on sale at Shop_Rite)

green beans almondine (even non veggie eaters like these)

some combo of roasted root veggies with a sort of gremaolata--usually do beets, squash, turnips, parsnips, garlic

and I have a delicious fruit compote from Glamour Magazine a zillion years ago--it has apples, pears, and cranberries--only the cranberries are cooked--with cinnamon sticks and tangerine peels and sugar--mix it up and add a shot of kirsch--the best part is it just gets better in the fridge so you can eat it for around a week

probably two other things--I wish I could find a reasonable source for brussels sprouts--spending $20 to make a decent amount for a crowd seems wrong somehow!

then on Sunday I'll cook my free turkey for a smaller family group--gotta have some leftovers somehow.

hope you all have a lovely time--don't forget to wear clothes with a little room to grow--Zoe

I am making dinner for myself and son-

we are going to buy a heritage turkey-

JPR54,

where can you purchase a Heritage turkey?

there are a bunch of online sources (google "heritage turkey"). or, Kings seems to carry one type now.

the newly re-vamped Kings has some pleasant surprises.

Saw them in WF in West Orange, yesterday. Guess they are really becoming popular.

Read an article regarding them and it stated that the breast is quite lean, and if not cooked properly , it tends to be dry.

Edited by Cook456 (log)

Going to the in-laws in northern VA. I'm bringing a chocolate pecan pie. There's going to be a dozen of us, but FIL's oven is busted! So who knows what we're actually eating; I think he's planning to cook the turkey at BIL's house and drive it over; as long as the gravy is hot (and the stovetop IS working), I guess it should come out ok. Eh, family's what's important, right?

Unfortunately, us heading to VA leaves my parents & sister by themselves this year, so they're going out to Duo Amici in, crap, down 36? Crud, I'm lousy about my directions. It's an Italian place, fairly traditional, but the food is good; we just went there for my sister's birthday. They're supposed to have two traditional choices, turkey or lamb (?), and a short version of their Italian menu. So Mom can have her pasta to start AND her turkey. :) I hope it works out ok for them; they were having a hard time finding a reasonable sit down place.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

We're going to David Drake's.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Having it at our house again, about 15 people (last year we had 30), maybe a few dropins for dessert.

Appys:

Crab stuffed mushrooms

Shrimp Cocktail

Cheese plate

Dinner:

2 Turkeys one roasted, one smoked

2 Stuffings apple sausage & chestnut

Corn w/bacon

Sting Beans

Peas (or maybe spinach)

Sweet Potato casserole w/ pecan topping

Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Turnips (MIL will make these)

Dinner rolls

Gravy

Cranberry sauce

Dessert: Whatever people bring (but I think I’ll make some kind of chocolate cake/torte)

And lots and lots of wine!!!!

Despite my being a guest at my brother's, I'm making the following (love my s-i-l, but she can't cook many things well):

Chicken/Apple sausage stuffing

Cranberry Conserve (a chunky cran sauce)

Purple mashed potatoes (for the kids' amusement)

Cranberry Crunch

I'm also making a 'raw' cranberry relish to take to the big(ger) family gathering this weekend, as my dad has fond memories of his mom's version.

Happy T-Day, y'all!

Curlz

Despite my being a guest at my brother's, I'm making the following (love my s-i-l, but she can't cook many things well):

Chicken/Apple sausage stuffing

Cranberry Conserve (a chunky cran sauce)

Purple mashed potatoes (for the kids' amusement)

Cranberry Crunch

I'm also making a 'raw' cranberry relish to take to the big(ger) family gathering this weekend, as my dad has fond memories of his mom's version.

Happy T-Day, y'all!

Curlz

What's the Cranberry Crunch?

My Cranberry, Candied Ginger and Kumquat is also a raw relish. They are a refreshing change.

Cranberry Crunch is an OLD family favorite...an oatmeal/brown sugar crust with a cranberry compote in the middle. Great served hot with ice cream!! :wub:

Curlz

Curlz,

After looking high and low for it, including Shoppers Vineyard, I actually bought it in NYC at Morrell's. My cousin lives in Hoboken, and she had Sparrow Wine & Liquor order a case for her..Do you think we love this stuff, too??

My dad called this morning and said "I have a job for you...I can't get any Belle de Brillet down here before Saturday (when I'll see him). See if you can find it up there!" Trying not to get my hopes up too much, I stopped in to Shoppers this morning. Alas, although it's listed on their web site, there was none on the shelf. The guy who helped me was extraordinarily helpful, found it on their site, and said he could order it, possibly for delivery by Friday. Two follow-up calls from their staff later, no luck; maybe by next week. SIGH...

curlz, go to wine-searcher.com to find some local places.  and then call ahead, obviously.  good luck!

Been there, done that. that's how I ended up at Morrell's..

If you do find it, let me know. The bottle is almost empty.. :shock:

curlz, go to wine-searcher.com to find some local places.  and then call ahead, obviously.  good luck!

Scary how that panic sets in, isn't it?!? I TOTALLY understand! Will keep you posted...the guy at Shopper's seemed sure he could get it. If so, we're going to be quite happy! :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Scary how that panic sets in, isn't it?!? I TOTALLY understand! Will keep you posted...the guy at Shopper's seemed sure he could get it. If so, we're going to be quite happy! :wink:

VERY pleased to report that Shoppers can indeed get Belle de Brillet! Was there today...RUN, don't walk! :wink:

VERY pleased to report that Shoppers can indeed get Belle de Brillet! Was there today...RUN, don't walk! :wink:

Curlz,

Did you have to place an order????????

Karen