• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

yuba skins

piazzola

I think there's a thread on yuba in this forum somewhere, but I'll make a few suggestions.

Yuba can be sold dried or "fresh". If your yuba is already very moist and soft, then you have "fresh" yuba; it is usually sold in vacuum packs or frozen. If you have such fresh yuba, you don't need to do much with it except dress it lightly; a splash of Japanese soy sauce with raw ginger, or perhaps umeboshi with a little raw shiso, would work as a nice garnish. Fresh yuba can be sold as a stack of thin sheets or in small rolls.

Outside of Japan and possibly China, fresh yuba is quite rare, but sometimes Chinese supermarkets have a denser kind of fresh yuba that can be prepared like noodles. I think this type of heavy yuba is usually boiled briefly then stir-fried.

If, in the more likely case that you started with dried yuba, you'll have a very different set of options. First, you'll generally need to rehydrate the yuba by soaking it in hot water until it's fairly soft.

If you have sheets or long, collapsed tube-shaped yuba, you boil it in soups, as Chinese often do; it kind of stands in for or augments pork. These dried "tubes" aren't typically used by Japanese, in my experience, but are very common in Asian supermarkets in the US. I think you could use them in nabe.

Dried spiral-shaped rolled up yuba, which has many layers, can be incorporated into a kakejiru (soy sauce, mirin, and salt seasoned dashijiru) and then served atop soba or udon. You'll then have Nikkou style yuba-soba or yuba-udon. These sheets could also be rehydrated and stuffed with, say, ginnan, and fried.

Dried sheets of yuba can, instead of being hydrated, be cut and then deep-fried, then served sprinkled with salt as a sake accompaniment. Alternatively, after frying, simmer lightly in kakejiru, then place into a small bowl and dress with a bit of the boiling liquid.

Another good use for dried yuba is in nimono. Sheets or tubes of dried yuba can be soaked and rehydrated, cut into 1-inch pieces, then simmered with rehydrated kikurage and carrots; cook about 7 minutes or so, then add some blanched greens of your choice. Once warmed, serve in small bowls.

Hi ppl

I like to know how to use these yuba or beancurd skins?

Thanks

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Thank you all very informative thread on yuba

I have seen it dried in sheets around Chinese or Vietnamese stores for some years now but never dared to ask how one would use it

Now I need to include extra items in diet I though it would be a good time to ask

Thank you

yeah I was thinking if I am not mistaken in the called nama yuba which is rehydrated and the a pice of fish or mixture can be rolled and eep fried but so far I had failed in as the yuba skins

Fell apart when I tried to separate them perhaps I used too much water

and also I still don't know how to secure the ends and sides to prevent them from becoming undone when fried that is if I don't get too much water lef on the skins and burn myself in the process

I'm not sure I understand you quite right, but "nama yuba" is actually fresh yuba, not rehydrated.

Fried yuba is tricky to pull off. When wrapping things with yuba, I've used toothpicks to help them hold everything together. When starting with dried yuba, be careful not to soak it too long if you plan to fry it. I don't think the amount of water matters, but the soaking duration and water temperature will affect the texture and durability.

yeah I was thinking if I am not mistaken in the  called nama yuba which is rehydrated and the a pice of fish or mixture can be rolled and eep fried but so far I had failed in as the yuba skins

and also I still don't know how to secure the ends and sides to prevent them from becoming undone when fried that is if I don't get too much water lef on the skins and burn myself in the process

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

I'm not sure I understand you quite right, but "nama yuba" is actually fresh yuba, not rehydrated.

Fried yuba is tricky to pull off. When wrapping things with yuba, I've used toothpicks to help them hold everything together. When starting with dried yuba, be careful not to soak it too long if you plan to fry it. I don't think the amount of water matters, but the soaking duration and water temperature will affect the texture and durability.

yeah I was thinking if I am not mistaken in the  called nama yuba which is rehydrated and the a pice of fish or mixture can be rolled and eep fried but so far I had failed in as the yuba skins

thanks for that

I now bought another packet and different kind of chinese type yuba and will try again but this time chinese style for which they use fish paste may be easier to roll

Sucess

This time as the beancurd was much tougher I could refresh it in hot water and shape it to my will

I use fish paste flavoured with green cayenne, salt and turn out beautiful

my kid and wife really enjoyed the experience.