• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Napa Area Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

Aurora

Don't miss Meadowood. Can't say enough good things about our special time.

I couldn't agree more. We live in NY and are heading out to the Napa Valley for our 20th anniversary and I already have my reservation there.

On that note, I am looking for some more suggestions. We are staying in Yountville for one week and my A list, besides the Meadowwoods, includes - for dinner - Martini House, Redd, Botega and the new Cantina Pietro. Lunch always includes a stop at the Rutherford Grill and Taylors. Where else should we head? We have been to La Toque before they moved and I'm not sure I will still like that in their new location.

I haven't been a La Toque fan for some time and I'm not sure the move did them any good. *The* Restaurant to try when visiting Napa is Ubuntu; yes, it is vegetarian, but what Jeremy Fox is doing with vegetables is nothing short of revolutionary and I defy anyone to miss eating meat (I'm an omnivore). With very few exceptions, Ubuntu is on my Top-Five Restaurant list in the whole country.

Alternately, for me, I don't see the purpose of going to Rutherford Grill. It is nothing more than a glorified Houston's and not that special compared to other restaurants in the valley.

Alternately, for me, I don't see the purpose of going to Rutherford Grill. It is nothing more than a glorified Houston's and not that special compared to other restaurants in the valley.

I know, but we don't have those in NYC and my husband loves the salad with the tuna.

We go to Napa Valley every year. We make a bee-line to Oxbow Market first thing and load up our pantry. Oxbow is an assortment of little gourmet markets in one building. We particularly like the seafood market, the butcher, the spice market and the produce market. (Especially the seafood market. Good oysters at reasonable prices.)

The Fatted Calf is next door to Oxbow and that is always stop #2. And #5. And #8, 15, 20 and 27. Pate, rillets, confit, porchetta, I find an excuse to stop there nearly every day.

Early in the trip, we always stop at Sunshine Market in St. Helena for cheese and nibbles. (Sunshine also has less expensive meat than the Oxbow butcher. The Oxbow butcher's wares are better aged. I'll spend a little extra.)

Bread from Bouchon can be had at all of the above places -- often less expensive than they sell it at Bouchon. Go figure. There are other bakeries that put out great quality also. I price compare breads because I have never been disappointed by the quality of Napa's bakers.

Restaurants? I can't help you. Part of the allure for me is having a kitchen in Napa Valley. We load up with wine and the best groceries we can afford, then experiment with them in the kitchen. Every year, I promise myself I'll at least dine at Ad Hoc or Bottega. And every day, a dry aged rib eye (or Iberico jamon, or Tomales Bay oysters, or chicken and truffles, or dungeness crab) win out and I dine in.

I'm certainly missing out, I know. But we enjoy our vacation and that's really all that matters.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

We go to Napa Valley every year. We make a bee-line to Oxbow Market first thing and load up our pantry. Oxbow is an assortment of little gourmet markets in one building. We particularly like the seafood market, the butcher, the spice market and the produce market. (Especially the seafood market. Good oysters at reasonable prices.)

The Fatted Calf is next door to Oxbow and that is always stop #2. And #5. And #8, 15, 20 and 27. Pate, rillets, confit, porchetta, I find an excuse to stop there nearly every day.

Early in the trip, we always stop at Sunshine Market in St. Helena for cheese and nibbles. (Sunshine also has less expensive meat than the Oxbow butcher. The Oxbow butcher's wares are better aged. I'll spend a little extra.)

Bread from Bouchon can be had at all of the above places -- often less expensive than they sell it at Bouchon. Go figure. There are other bakeries that put out great quality also. I price compare breads because I have never been disappointed by the quality of Napa's bakers.

Restaurants? I can't help you. Part of the allure for me is having a kitchen in Napa Valley. We load up with wine and the best groceries we can afford, then experiment with them in the kitchen. Every year, I promise myself I'll at least dine at Ad Hoc or Bottega. And every day, a dry aged rib eye (or Iberico jamon, or Tomales Bay oysters, or chicken and truffles, or dungeness crab) win out and I dine in.

I'm certainly missing out, I know. But we enjoy our vacation and that's really all that matters.

That sounds great.I often wish we had a kitchen out there so we could do the same. But, we are in a hotel and restaurants it is!