• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Vietnamese Food in Toronto/GTA

Jake

I would like to start some ISO threads on the Toronto board discussing various food/ethnic groups and the places we like best. It will also serve as a handy resource guide for all of us the next time someone can't decide what to eat. And most of all, I'd like to compile a new list of things I haven't tried. :biggrin:

I love Vietnamese food. Well, okay, I pretty much love all food and will try anything once! But I thought I'd start with this area as it is a cold, damp, awful evening out there and I'm craving a hot bowl of pho, or something spicy, or perhaps I just don't want to cook tonight! :shock:

One of my favourite lunches is banh mi and my favourite place in Toronto to get it is Rose Cafe on Broadview, south of Gerrard. The location is never on the way to anywhere, but I'll drive there to satisfy a craving. I always get an iced coffee or 2 to go with it. It's a great little shop, I'll post pictures next time I go. They have a variety of vegetarian dishes (mock duck etc.) and different sweets. I don't really like many sweets, so I can't offer much of an opinion on those.

I love pho too. My usual 2 places are Pho Hung on Spadina @ St. Andrew. The #1 special has rare beef, brisket, tripe and tendon. #4 is rare beef only. The second place is MiMi Vietnamese on Gerrard just east of Broadview. The cha gio spring rolls are outstanding. The spicy chicken with lemongrass on rice is also excellent as is the bun. The staff here are wonderful too, and are very helpful with suggestions when ordering.

What are your favourite places, and favourite dishes? Do you make your own? What wonderful delicacies am I missing?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I often go to the Kimbo on Bathurst just across the street from Western General.

(I do not believe this is the Kimbo that had a gangland slaying in the early 90s - I think that was on Dundas in Chinatown, but my sister claims I'm wrong).

Anyhow, I like it because it's inexpensive, good, and close to home.

They didn't serve pho until a couple of years ago. I don't know why - maybe the owners or cooks aren't from Saigon. So, does anybody know of any regional places in town that specialize in one particular region of Vietnamese cuisine?

We always seem to get the Bo Nhang Dam (beef fondue that you wrap in rice paper with sprouts, daikon, carrot, lettuce, mint, and/ or basil). I keep saying that next time we go in we should just let them pick their favourites and surprise us. Maybe one time I'll actually do it.

I've been meaning to try the Golden Turtle (Rua Vong maybe?) on Ossington for ages. Anybody been there?

Cheers,

Geoff ruby

Pho Hung and Mimi's are two good spots. I have not yet tried Rose Cafe

as I am not often in that area.

For banh mi one place I prefer is located on Dundas north side between

Spadina and Kensington. The name escapes me but what sets them

apart is a superior baquette and a choice of fillings.

The vietnamese restaurant that used to be located at the north east

corner of Spadina and Sullivan, which I believe was called Nai Dam,

has moved to a strip mall at Warden and Eglington and is now

called Crispy Roll. I thought they had the best pho on the strip and

hope to try out Crispy Roll soon.

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

Pho Hung and Mimi's are two good spots. I have not yet tried Rose Cafe

as I am not often in that area.

For banh mi one place I prefer is located on Dundas north side between

Spadina and Kensington. The name escapes me but what sets them

apart is a superior baquette and a choice of fillings.

The vietnamese restaurant that used to be located at the north east

corner of Spadina and Sullivan, which I believe was called Nai Dam,

has moved to a strip mall at Warden and Eglington and is now

called Crispy Roll. I thought they had the best pho on the strip and

hope to try out Crispy Roll soon.

Wayne, I hope you'll let us know how you like Crispy Roll. Perhaps we can persuade you to take your camera when you go??? :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the Vietnamese Hot & Sour Soup at MiMi Vietnamese on Gerrard last night, it was freaking awsome. Delicious broth, crisp veg, nice heat and full of chix and perfectly cooked shrimp (my request). Sorry, no photos it was a quick take away. Accompanied by their spring rolls. Yumm.

Mimi and Pho Hung are good places but Pho Hung is inconsistent as heck. My favourite place for Vietnamese food (besides pho) is Saigon Palace, lots of food prepared well and at a great price. Their extensive menu is real home cooking and my, those ladies in the kitchen can really cook. :wub:

More in my neighbourhood, on the E side of Ossington, not too far south of DundasW (and closer to DundasW as opposed to QueenW) there is a pretty good place. Can't remember the name, but I'm more of a location than a name guy, if you haven't noticed.

Mimi and Pho Hung are good places but Pho Hung is inconsistent as heck. My favourite place for Vietnamese food (besides pho) is Saigon Palace, lots of food prepared well and at a great price. Their extensive menu is real home cooking and my, those ladies in the kitchen can really cook. :wub:

I'll have to try Saigon Palace next time I'm in the area. I agree Pho Hung can be inconsistent, but I usually don't have any complaints and it is cheap and quick when I'm craving pho.

What are your favourite dishes at Saigon Palace?

3 Season Vietnam west of MiMi on Gerrard (next to the bank) He makes the most wonderful lemongrass shrimp soup.

Shrimp and lemongrass makes me think of Tom Yam (thai) is this similar?